News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Well, that's one way to enforce church/state separation

Started by Firebird, June 28, 2017, 05:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebird

Arkansas decided to put a monument of the 10 Commandments in front of its capitol building. It's illegal of course, so the ACLU, FFRF, and Satanic Temple were all set to sue. But the day after it was installed,  one idiot solved the whole problem by crashing his car into it. Maybe we should chip in for his bail?  ;D

Ten Commandments Monument Destroyed

"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Arturo

It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Sandra Craft

While I do not condone vandalism, blah blah blah, I'm hugely amused that this is the second time he's done it.

Edited to add this:  he's definitely not an atheist, but he is on our side
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

OldGit

When the IRA took a dislike to the statue of Lord Nelson in Dublin, they blew it up.  Much easier.

Icarus

Rant :rant1:

We are going the other way here in the land of the newly weds and nearly deads.  My much disliked governor  (Governor Scott of Florida) just signed a bill that allows any individual to influence whatever is being taught in science classes of our public schools. The fundies are all atwitter now. They can take issue with the teaching of evolution as opposed to creationism.  Also they can take issue with the notion of climate change.  Not only take issue, but they have the potential for forcing science classes to teach that creation is as valid a concept as evolution. And the beat goes on. We are not the only state that has dreamed up such an outrage. Several others have bought into the belief that parents can rightfully exercise influence on what is being taught in our science classes and what our libraries hold.  That annoys the hell outa' me.  The very idea that some dumb ass parent is more authoritative about established science than credentialed and educated teachers is most upsetting. 

Indiana, Alabama, and a few others are already there. ..... Kansas, Mississippi, Arkansas, Iowa and Oklahoma will not be far behind.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on July 04, 2017, 12:41:50 AM

We are going the other way here in the land of the newly weds and nearly deads.  My much disliked governor  (Governor Scott of Florida) just signed a bill that allows any individual to influence whatever is being taught in science classes of our public schools. The fundies are all atwitter now. They can take issue with the teaching of evolution as opposed to creationism.  Also they can take issue with the notion of climate change.  Not only take issue, but they have the potential for forcing science classes to teach that creation is as valid a concept as evolution. And the beat goes on. We are not the only state that has dreamed up such an outrage. Several others have bought into the belief that parents can rightfully exercise influence on what is being taught in our science classes and what our libraries hold.  That annoys the hell outa' me.  The very idea that some dumb ass parent is more authoritative about established science than credentialed and educated teachers is most upsetting. 

Indiana, Alabama, and a few others are already there. ..... Kansas, Mississippi, Arkansas, Iowa and Oklahoma will not be far behind.

All the usual suspects then?

I will never understand America.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

Firebird

Quote from: Gloucester on July 04, 2017, 03:19:03 AM

I'm beginning to think I won't either, and I fucking live here. At this point I'd be fine surgically cutting away the entire South. We can keep North Carolina and Virginia at this point, anything else south and west up to Texas can leave. That includes Kansas. Maybe we can keep Florida (minus the panhandle, fuck them and let them join Alabama like they always wanted) and a few isolated cities like New Orleans and Austin. We'll airdrop supplies and science textbooks to them a la West Berlin. Seriously, would we miss them? They use way more government benefits than the rest of the country and put less in than they get back, so the rest of us would save money and not have to deal with their bullshit anymore. Let them become the fundamentalist, racist backwater they always wanted to be.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Dave

Quote from: Firebird on July 04, 2017, 04:36:00 AM

I'm beginning to think I won't either, and I fucking live here. At this point I'd be fine surgically cutting away the entire South. We can keep North Carolina and Virginia at this point, anything else south and west up to Texas can leave. That includes Kansas. Maybe we can keep Florida (minus the panhandle, fuck them and let them join Alabama like they always wanted) and a few isolated cities like New Orleans and Austin. We'll airdrop supplies and science textbooks to them a la West Berlin. Seriously, would we miss them? They use way more government benefits than the rest of the country and put less in than they get back, so the rest of us would save money and not have to deal with their bullshit anymore. Let them become the fundamentalist, racist backwater they always wanted to be.

Our, slightly similar, situation with Northern Ireland is scaled down to fit us - square mile-wise snyway. Our Idiots-in-charge in Westminster have to kow-tow to a bunch of 18th century minds, set to grab as much as they can, to keep some semblance of power.

Ideology, religion, tribalism and greed, the true evils of mankind in the mass.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Gloucester on July 04, 2017, 09:18:05 AM

Our, slightly similar, situation with Northern Ireland is scaled down to fit us - square mile-wise snyway. Our Idiots-in-charge in Westminster have to kow-tow to a bunch of 18th century minds, set to grab as much as they can, to keep some semblance of power.

Sorry if I'm repeating myself but a NI relation of mine whom I couldn't easily reject as a FB friend, recently called for the cessation of 'all this Evolution rubbish being taught in schools and a return to true biblical creationism'. You're right when you say some places just want to backwaters. However, a couple of NI citizens were lamenting on the radio yesterday that they felt disenfranchised by the disproportionate religious right representation in their government, so there are some normal people there.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Firebird

I actually didn't realize Northern Ireland was like that. Is this both the British and Irish who live there, or just one group? 

xSilverPhinx

I'm curious, since the southern part of Ireland is mostly Catholic, do they also have herds of rabid lunatics going on about how evolution shouldn't be taught in schools? Catholicism has its own slew of problems but at least the official position is that evolution is accepted fact.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: Essie Mae on July 04, 2017, 09:18:40 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on July 04, 2017, 09:18:05 AM

Sorry if I'm repeating myself but a NI relation of mine whom I couldn't easily reject as a FB friend, recently called for the cessation of 'all this Evolution rubbish being taught in schools and a return to true biblical creationism'. You're right when you say some places just want to backwaters. However, a couple of NI citizens were lamenting on the radio yesterday that they felt disenfranchised by the disproportionate religious right representation in their government, so there are some normal people there.
Yes, and, as is demonstrated here there are normal people in Anerica as well.

Just that the religious right so often seem to get a big share of the authority and influence. Despite the supposed split between state and church.

Anyone else here learn how to say and spell "antidisestablishmentarianism" (still the longest "non-coined, non-technical word in English) just because it was a long word? It was years later I learned what it meant. The religionistas have been fighting their loss of establishment for a long time.

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 04, 2017, 09:31:19 PM
I'm curious, since the southern part of Ireland is mostly Catholic, do they also have herds of rabid lunatics going on about how evolution shouldn't be taught in schools? Catholicism has its own slew of problems but at least the official position is that evolution is accepted fact.

I think it might be the Protestants, as in the DUP and the like, who are the backward ones over there. The Anglican Church (of which the Churchbof Ireland is a member) also officially recognises evolution IIRC.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Gloucester on July 04, 2017, 09:40:32 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on July 04, 2017, 09:31:19 PM

I think it might be the Protestants, as in the DUP and the like, who are the backward ones over there. The Anglican Church (of which the Churchbof Ireland is a member) also officially recognises evolution IIRC.

:notsure: So the Anglican and Catholic Churches really are basically the same crap, they just have different monarchs as their Head. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey