News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Stephen Hawking

Started by Tank, March 14, 2018, 06:19:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Stephen Hawking dies aged 76

An amazing man, insperational in many ways. Imperfect in others.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Oh, dear, this is a real loss. I hope there is some kind of lasting meaningful memorial, not a statue etc but some sort of endowment to continue his work.

I have just heard it on the radio as I type this.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bluenose

+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

I'm not very good at obituaries, but I did find myself waking up to an emptier world once again, and this time in quite a big personal way.

Much of my curiosity, willingness to explore new ideas and go against the cards, which I was dealt, not to mention a fair chunk of my understanding of the Universe is thanks to his influence, as witnessed by the well-worn state of the pages of my old copy of A Brief History of Time.

A loss for rational, thinking world that his death represents, there is no doubt that many brilliant young minds now stand on the shoulders of giants, looking ever up and forward and growing into giants themselves, at least partly because of Hawking's contributions.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Ecurb Noselrub

It's amazing he lived this long with ALS.  Most die within a few years.  Remarkable.

xSilverPhinx

A loss for sure. The man was an inspiration, not only as a scientist but as a human being.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Davin

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

xSilverPhinx

Funny how many Christians are showing their true colours on social media, asserting that Hawking is now in hell because he was an atheist. Truly disgusting mindset, if you ask me.

Davin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 15, 2018, 08:34:18 PM
Funny how many Christians are showing their true colours on social media, asserting that Hawking is now in hell because he was an atheist. Truly disgusting mindset, if you ask me.
Yeah they do that a lot. And every time they do I can't help but think, "Are you trying to sell hell to me? Because saying that all the best people are going to be in hell makes it sound much better than heaven."
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on March 15, 2018, 09:20:35 PM
Yeah they do that a lot. And every time they do I can't help but think, "Are you trying to sell hell to me? Because saying that all the best people are going to be in hell makes it sound much better than heaven."
I was going to say heaven is potentially full of vicars, pastors, priests, mullahs, ayatollahs etc. Then I rethought it, sounds more like hell to me considering the behaviour of some of those people!

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dave on March 15, 2018, 09:44:12 PM
Quote from: Davin on March 15, 2018, 09:20:35 PM
I was going to say heaven is potentially full of vicars, pastors, priests, mullahs, ayatollahs etc. Then I rethought it, sounds more like hell to me considering the behaviour of some of those people!

"Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."  Probably Mark Twain.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

All the best people might be in hell, but many theists who believe in heaven and hell want them there to suffer for all eternity.

:notsure: Maybe they have it backwards, hell is the better place and the people in heaven deserve each other.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 16, 2018, 11:32:22 PM
All the best people might be in hell, but many theists who believe in heaven and hell want them there to suffer for all eternity.

:notsure: Maybe they have it backwards, hell is the better place and the people in heaven deserve each other.

That's certainly my take on it.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Ecurb Noselrub

There is no eternal hell.  All are saved. All are loved by God.