News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Random Questions

Started by Court, August 01, 2006, 07:46:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Court

Onlyme keeps interrupting threads with these random-ass questions, so I figured he should have a thread for them. Here it is.

Quote from: "onlyme"Ok, this is probably not the right section to ask this question.  I don't know any better, OK?  But regarding this 'poll' listed on the right hand side of my homepage:

Who is John Stewart?  Who is Steven Colbert?

Ok, I'm out of touch, ok?  Give me a break...I'm still learning...

So...who is John Stewart and Steven Colbert?
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

Asmodean Prime

Hey, I now have my own thread for random-*** questions.  Is that cool, or what?

Court

It is rather cool for you.
So, I'll answer your first question.
Steven Colbert and John Stewart are both comedians with their own daily shows. Colbert hosts the Colbert Report and Stewart hosts The Daily Show with John Stewart.
You can see both of them on www.comedycentral.com
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

MommaSquid

Jon Stewart.  Jon.  Not John.  

(Sorry for being a stickler, but for some reason that bothers me.)

Court

Oh, whoops. Sorry :)
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

Asmodean Prime

Ah, the daily show.  I've watched that. If it's the same show as that aired in the UK, a spoof news broadcast.  Can't remember the name of the host, though.  I will check it out.

Asmodean Prime

Ok, question number 2, which has been touched upon in a previous conversation - regarding Christmas, santa claus, etc.

Do atheists buy presents for their kids at Christmas, and if so, what do they tell them that they are celebrating?

Whitney

Quote from: "onlyme"Ok, question number 2, which has been touched upon in a previous conversation - regarding Christmas, santa claus, etc.

Do atheists buy presents for their kids at Christmas, and if so, what do they tell them that they are celebrating?

Some do, some don't.  Jake, who runs the atheist network, celebrates christmas with his kids.  He lets them know that santa is just an imaginary person but that it's fun to pretend and have family together time.  They are celebrating family togetherness.

My step-mom is agnostic but you would never be able to tell from all the christmas crap she still displays.  She's a kid at heart and just has fun with the holiday.

I put up lights and a little tree around christmas...they are pretty.  I also tend to call christmas giftmas...because that's pretty much how my family treats it anyway.  Christmas was always more about being together as a family and an excuse to spend extra money on things we normally wouldn't buy than it was a religious celebration.

Asmodean Prime

Question 3:  Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

As a creationist believer, I believe it was the chicken, since God created the animals, then commanded to reproduce 'after their kind'

What do evolutionists say, and why?

Court

I love christmas, because it is so pretty at my house. In fact, I want my wedding to be silver, white, and red like my mom has always done christmas.
Even though my parents are religious, christmas is more about family togetherness and gift-giving than church. I think it's a wonderful tradition, minus all the blatantly religious decorations, and one I would definitely continue after I move out completely.
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

Court

Quote from: "onlyme"Question 3:  Which came first, the chicken or the egg?

As a creationist believer, I believe it was the chicken, since God created the animals, then commanded to reproduce 'after their kind'

My answer: Doesn't frickin' matter. How does this stupid question relate to real life?
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

Whitney

The correct evolution answer to the question is the egg.  The bird that laid the egg would not quite be a chicken but the bird inside the egg would be a chicken.

McQ

The egg.

Because the chicken evolved from another egg-laying animal, over time. Egg-laying was going on for hundreds of millions of years in countless species before chickens came on the scene.

Here's a couple for you, onlyme:

Did Adam and Eve have navels?

Who was Cain afraid of, when he complained to God, in Genesis 4:14,  that, "Behold, Thou hast driven me this day from the face of the ground; and from Thy face I shall be hidden, and I shall be a vagrant and a wanderer on the earth, and it will come about that whoever finds me will kill me."?

If Cain was the only remaining child of Adam and Eve, then who else was around to kill him?

Since we're asking questions, I thought I'd ask those.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Asmodean Prime

court, but it does matter, since most evolutionists expend a lot of time explaining the origins of the universe and life, etc, and trying to produce viable evidence to support it.

Since scientists spend such time, money and effort probing such things, surely the fundamental question is one that demands some kind of answer?

I think you are just avoiding the issue.   A more reasoned and thought out response would go a long way to supporting your views.

Whitney

onlyme...if you have researched evolution at all then you should have known the evolutionists answer to the chicken and egg question before you even asked the question.