News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Hey Brits (And Others Who Live In Places W/Strict Gun Control)

Started by Ali, August 06, 2012, 05:42:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

QuoteMilperra massacre - Two biker gangs, the Comanchero and the Bandidos, engaged in a shoot-out in a hotel car park, killing 7 people in 1984, including a bystander. Only one defendant was acquitted on the murder charges.
Joseph Schwab - 1987, Schwab shot dead 5 people in and around the Kimberley region in Western Australia before being shot dead by police. [1]

Hoddle Street massacre - Armed with two rifles and a shotgun, Julian Knight shot 7 people dead and wounded another 19 in 1987 before surrendering to authorities.

Queen Street massacre - Armed with a sawn-off rifle, Frank Vitkovic roamed the Australia Post building killing 8 and wounding 5, also in 1987. When the weapon was finally wrestled from him, he committed suicide by jumping out of a nearby window.

Surry Hills massacre - Paul Anthony Evers killed 5 people with a 12-gauge shotgun at a public housing precinct in Surry Hills in 1990 before surrendering to police. [2]

Strathfield massacre - In 1991 Wade Frankum killed 7 people and wounded 6 others with a large knife and an SKS before turning the gun on himself when he realised he could not escape.

Central Coast Massacre - Malcolm Baker killed 6 people and injured another with a shotgun in 1992 before being arrested by police.

Port Arthur massacre - In 1996, armed with two semi-automatic rifles, Martin Bryant killed 35 people around Port Arthur and wounded 21 before being caught by police the next day following an overnight siege.

Resctrictions introduced after the last incident -
    Port Arthur Massacre - Semi-automatic rifles and pump action/self-loading shotguns were banned from civilians, and ammunition capacity restricted to 5 rounds in magazine-fed rifles. Licensing is also introduced, and both a firearms license and a buyers permit are necessary to legally purchase a firearm. Furthermore, an acceptable reason must be stated on the permit for buying the weapon, and a minimum 28 day "cooling off" period must be enforced before the issuing of the license.
    Monash University shooting - Pistols restricted to .38 calibre and magazine capacity restricted to ten rounds maximum unless under special circumstances. Furthermore, pistol barrels are restricted to a minimum of 120 mm (4.72 inches) and revolver barrels to a minimum of 100 mm (3.94 inches) to make pistols harder to conceal.
(Two people killed)

The list of mass murders doesn't list any gun incidents after laws were changed, I'm not sure how they defined mass murder, the minimum deaths on the list was five.  Anyway I don't recall any major incident in the last 16 years.  The restrictions were put in place by a conservative government.

Stevil

It seems to be difficult to commit mass murder with a knife or a black belt in karate.

A chainsaw might do it, but you'd have have pretty strong arms and shoulders and be adventurous to chase after people with that.

Stevil

Quote from: Asmodean on August 07, 2012, 08:39:55 AM
Oh, there are probably more hunting rifles than people in the country, but those tend only to be used for hunting.
There is a difference between a 0.22 or a shotgun for shooting rabbits and magpies or having an AK47 or 9mm pistol for shooting people.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Stevil on August 07, 2012, 12:11:40 PM
It seems to be difficult to commit mass murder with a knife or a black belt in karate.

A chainsaw might do it, but you'd have have pretty strong arms and shoulders and be adventurous to chase after people with that.

I'm not sure about chainsaws, they can clag up, maybe throwing a coat on one would stop it.  It's not a good idea to hit something with the tip of the bar.  Chainsaws are a good weapon for opponents who  don't move around much, trees for example.

OldGit

The victim might notice the roar as you start your chainsaw.  Or he might run away while you're frustratedly pulling the cord for the 8th time.

Quote from: StevilThere is a difference between a 0.22 or a shotgun for shooting rabbits and magpies or having an AK47 or 9mm pistol for shooting people.

I imagine shooting large animals in Scandinavia you'd want something a bit pokier than a .22"

Guardian85

In Norway there  are a fair few guns, as sport shooting and hunting are quite popular,  but there are some hoops you have to jump through to get a gun licence.
First there is the background check. Gun licences are issued by the police, so they handle the application and check your record while they're at it.
Then you must demonstrate adequate skill and use for a gun, by for example taking the hunters exam or joining and being a member of a registered target shooting club for more then 6 months.
Finally you must demonstrate to the licence issuing police officer that you have adequate storage capability for your weapon and ammo. For example a rifle locker or safe. This to prevent theft of weapon and accidental death of the non-gun users of the household.
Military rifles are of course banned from civilian ownership. If you see such a weapon in a civilian house it is an almost certainty that this person is an active service man or Home Guard.

I own a hunting shotgun, but it is registered in my fathers name and stored in his house since I have yet to take the hunters exam to get my own licence.

Police in Norway don't carry guns regularly on their belts. They keep pistols locked in the patrol cars for those situations where firearms might be needed, but mostly you will not see police carrying anything more severe then pepper gas. We private security dudes are not even that lucky...

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Asmodean

Would you consider yourself lucky to drag around a gun and loads of ammo as part of your uniform?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Guardian85 on August 07, 2012, 06:23:39 PM
Police in Norway don't carry guns regularly on their belts. They keep pistols locked in the patrol cars for those situations where firearms might be needed, but mostly you will not see police carrying anything more severe then pepper gas. We private security dudes are not even that lucky...

Reminds me of a joke of which the origin eludes me but speaks about police without guns.  It goes;

Police to criminal running away: "Stop! or I'll yell 'Stop!' again!"

Guardian85

Quote from: Asmodean on August 07, 2012, 06:32:01 PM
Would you consider yourself lucky to drag around a gun and loads of ammo as part of your uniform?

A little one and a spare clip. Fits snugly on a belt. Or at least a decent whacking stick.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on August 07, 2012, 06:46:38 PM

Reminds me of a joke of which the origin eludes me but speaks about police without guns.  It goes;

And no innocent bystanders were killed by stray bullets from cops :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Tank on August 07, 2012, 08:53:04 PM

True, but in L.A., cops love their clubs to speak up.

Stevil

Even if the cops have guns, they aren't allowed to shoot at someone just for running away. There must be present and imminent danger.

Asmodean

Well, most of our cops go easy on the donuts and are generally capable of chasing someone down  :P
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Stevil on August 07, 2012, 10:34:49 PM

Even if the cops have guns, they aren't allowed to shoot at someone just for running away. There must be present and imminent danger.

My mother knows a guy who worked in the police force who said that they aren't allowed to shoot someone in the back when they run away. It's protocol. One day a thief was running away from his partner, then decided to suddenly turn around to shoot the guy right in the head. The cop was stuck in protocol and totally defenseless.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Stevil

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 08, 2012, 05:06:32 PM
My mother knows a guy who worked in the police force who said that they aren't allowed to shoot someone in the back when they run away. It's protocol. One day a thief was running away from his partner, then decided to suddenly turn around to shoot the guy right in the head. The cop was stuck in protocol and totally defenseless.
Its a dangerous job being a cop, they are so under paid and under valued.