News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Tech help

Started by Dave, January 27, 2017, 10:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on June 09, 2018, 08:20:06 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on June 09, 2018, 07:57:34 AM
Quote from: Tank on June 09, 2018, 07:46:53 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on June 09, 2018, 07:13:19 AM
Quote from: Tank on June 09, 2018, 07:02:47 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on June 09, 2018, 04:36:40 AM
I am posting this from my Samsung S3 tablet, because I cannot get into HAF as I usually do on my Win 7 desktop. When I go to the site it displays the message:

An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry hermes2015, you have been banned from using this forum!
This ban is  not set to expire.

What is going on?

First you have not been banned, obviously. What has happened is that you access the internet via your ISP via a dynamic IP address. Your dynamic IP address has changed. The one it has changed to is associated with a ban. I need you to tell me the IP you using on your Windows 7 Desktop so I can find the ban associated with it is and modify that. Once that is done you'll need to clear your browsers ccashe.

Thanks. I will get back to you.  I think what screwed it up was my setting up ExpressVPN last night. So I think it's going to assign a new IP address every time. I am just doing a few things and will send my address without the VPN activated a bit later.

If you VPN is going to assign a new IP each time we may have minor recurring issue. But we'll see.

No, I will work around it by simply switching off the VPN. I don't need it all the time. The IP is always 155.93.151.13 without the VPN.

So are you accessing OK from your desktop now?

No, this is from the tablet. Still not working on the desktop. The interesting thing is the table's IP is also 155.93.151.13.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Just remembered that a Windows security update was recommended by the VPN software,  which I did. Perhaps I should roll back and see what happens.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

I've just updated and the F***ing thing changed my keyboard settings @ -> " and " -> @ WTF!

Hmmmm. Odd. I'm off out now for the day. So I'll pick this later today.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on June 09, 2018, 08:32:29 AM
I've just updated and the F***ing thing changed my keyboard settings @ -> " and " -> @ WTF!

Hmmmm. Odd. I'm off out now for the day. So I'll pick this later today.

OK thanks. In the meantime I'll play around. At least I can connect wth the tablet.
― Charles Eames

Dave

Hermes, did you clear your browser cache?

After a similar event I ended up un- then re-installing the browser to clear the problem.

Though I think that was possibly malware that time.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on June 09, 2018, 08:58:25 AM

After a similar event I ended up un- then re-installing the browser to clear the problem.

That's an excellent suggestion.  I am doing something else now but will try later and report back. Perhaps the VPN has left something that needs clearing.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

:daisies:
Well, Dave, that was the solution! Thank you for suggesting I clear the browser cache. Everything seems to be back to normal.

Worth remembering in future.
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 09, 2018, 10:00:54 AM

Well, Dave, that was the solution! Thank you for suggesting I clear the browser cache. Everything seems to be back to normal.

Actually I think Tank suggested it in his first response - I was just twesking it. Caches csn be a real pain, I clean mine fairly pften now, the benefits they offer rarely outdo the problems in my ecperience! Most sites that reslly need cookies etc will let uou know and reset them. So fsr it has not given me any problems.

I also check my bookmarks, some sites decide you need them on their list and insert themselves,
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on June 09, 2018, 11:12:09 AM
Quote from: hermes2015 on June 09, 2018, 10:00:54 AM

Actually I think Tank suggested it in his first response - I was just twesking it. Caches csn be a real pain, I clean mine fairly pften now, the benefits they offer rarely outdo the problems in my ecperience! Most sites that reslly need cookies etc will let uou know and reset them. So fsr it has not given me any problems.

I also check my bookmarks, some sites decide you need them on their list and insert themselves,

Yes, I see that. I missed it for some reason.
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Ah fk, there's dear old Dave just up there.  :)

Processors, CPUs
Circa 2000-2010 AMD was your best value buy
And then they lost, fell away, Intel had won.
AMD is back now apparently.
Should I trust them?
Do they still run too hot?

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/448460#comment-7128334

Not all I5s are proper I5s any more.

I miss Crow, he would have warned me of this.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

hermes2015

I just looked at my profile info and saw that it gives the local time as exactly one hour later than my real time. I can't find the place to set the correct local time, which shows correctly in my Windows taskbar, so would appreciate some help with this.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 13, 2020, 09:22:57 AM
I just looked at my profile info and saw that it gives the local time as exactly one hour later than my real time. I can't find the place to set the correct local time, which shows correctly in my Windows taskbar, so would appreciate some help with this.

Sorry everyone. I have managed to find where to set the time offset so that the forum time matches my local time.
― Charles Eames

Tom62

I'm thinking about buying a NAS that is suitable for a small IT business. It should have at least 4 drive bays, a fast processor, minimum 4 GB memory, good software support and easy to setup/configure.

Both the Synology DS920+ and the QNAP T-253D models seem to fit my needs quite well, but I'd love to know if someone has good or bad experiences with these two brand/models or can recommend an alternative NAS.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

hermes2015

Quote from: Tom62 on January 05, 2021, 09:03:51 PM
I'm thinking about buying a NAS that is suitable for a small IT business. It should have at least 4 drive bays, a fast processor, minimum 4 GB memory, good software support and easy to setup/configure.

Both the Synology DS920+ and the QNAP T-253D models seem to fit my needs quite well, but I'd love to know if someone has good or bad experiences with these two brand/models or can recommend an alternative NAS.

I have been thinking along those lines as well — in my case for home use. The Synology products have a good reputation and support, at least where I am.
― Charles Eames

Tom62

Quote from: hermes2015 on January 06, 2021, 03:24:13 AM
Quote from: Tom62 on January 05, 2021, 09:03:51 PM

I have been thinking along those lines as well — in my case for home use. The Synology products have a good reputation and support, at least where I am.

Thanks, Hermes!
My NAS will be initially for home use as well. My wife and I do have some plans to start a small business together in the near future, focussed on crafting, photography and IT.

I tend to go for the QNAP, because it is has the better hardware and a beter price value relationship than the Synology.
Synology however seems to be a little bit better on the software side.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein