News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeterminedJuliet

Sooooo, we just found out that my husband is to be awarded a pretty big grant from the Social Sciences and Research Council of Canada. It'll be enough to pay off all of our student debt, maybe take a trip and then some. He's the only one in his department to receive it this year. I'm so proud of him, he's been working so hard. We're having a bit of a celebration tonight  :)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Amicale

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 01, 2012, 01:03:35 AM
Sooooo, we just found out that my husband is to be awarded a pretty big grant from the Social Sciences and Research Council of Canada. It'll be enough to pay off all of our student debt, maybe take a trip and then some. He's the only one in his department to receive it this year. I'm so proud of him, he's been working so hard. We're having a bit of a celebration tonight  :)

Oh wow, yay, that is AWESOME!!  ;D Congrats to him!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Sandra Craft

Now that is something to be cheerful about!  I'd say more than a bit of a celebration is in order.  Congratulations to him.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Ali

Congrats, that is awesome!!!

Buddy

High five for your husband!  ;D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Yodas_Apprentice

Thanks guys :)  And a hearty high Five back to you, Budhorse!
"I'm a madman with a box without a box!!" -Eleventh Doctor, "The Doctor's Wife"

Tank

Excellent news!!!

Congratulations to Yodas_Apprentice!!!

Maybe we can take Apprentice off and replace it with Master  :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Siz

Yay! Blow it all on sweets and toys. That's what it's for, right?!?  :D

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

OldGit

Hooray for you two.  Spend some of it on a flight to the UK and meet us Brits?

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on May 01, 2012, 09:49:55 AM

Damn right!!!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Tank on May 01, 2012, 10:53:55 AM
Quote from: OldGit on May 01, 2012, 09:49:55 AM

Damn right!!!

It's something that is not out of the realm of possibility! Our 5 year wedding anniversary is coming up in 2013 and we'd like to take a nice trip somewhere. Neither of us have been to anywhere in the UK before.  :)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Yodas_Apprentice

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 01, 2012, 03:00:50 PM
It's something that is not out of the realm of possibility! Our 5 year wedding anniversary is coming up in 2013 and we'd like to take a nice trip somewhere. Neither of us have been to anywhere in the UK before.  :)

It's somewhere we've always wanted to go :)  Between us we have a lot of British, Irish, and French heritage, so we really want to see Europe!
"I'm a madman with a box without a box!!" -Eleventh Doctor, "The Doctor's Wife"

Buddy

I just noticed that I am now Older than the Big Bang.  ;D
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on May 01, 2012, 04:47:25 PM
I just noticed that I am now Older than the Big Bang.  ;D
Yes you have reached the final level of official elevation  ;D

Amicale

Quote from: Yodas_Apprentice on May 01, 2012, 04:23:23 PM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 01, 2012, 03:00:50 PM

It's somewhere we've always wanted to go :)  Between us we have a lot of British, Irish, and French heritage, so we really want to see Europe!

Reason to be cheerful: when a husband and wife are both adorably geeky enough to post on the same message board, and quote one another. I find that VERY cute.  ;D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan