News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Duke of Bullshit: "The" Donald

Started by Recusant, November 11, 2015, 11:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

^ Oh wow. Does Trump have an official diagnosis for his obviously narcissistic personality disorder? :lol:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 13, 2018, 10:39:36 PM
^ Oh wow. Does Trump have an official diagnosis for his obviously narcissistic personality disorder? :lol:

Only amongst the more objective shrinks?

Actually, bordering on paranoia? Is there such a thing as "paracissus"? Or "narcinoia"?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on September 14, 2018, 08:13:17 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on September 13, 2018, 10:39:36 PM

Only amongst the more objective shrinks?

Actually, bordering on paranoia? Is there such a thing as "paracissus"? Or "narcinoia"?

:lol: I don't know if it's paranoia or extreme egocentrism.

Tank

The best place I could find without starting a new thread :)

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Just listened to the Dump'sspeech to the UN.

Is it just my cynicism or or did I detect all kinds of loopholes that will allow him to cherry pick and support those nations who probably need it less but will be strategically more important? But, that's politics for yer.

He also got a bit of a laugh, perhaps a cynical laugh, early in the speech, whilst boasting that his administration had accomplished more in its first two years than any other in American history, that he obviously did not expect.

Oh, and he lambasted globalism, in the global assembly, and pushed American values of patriotism.

Bloated boastful blimp.

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on September 25, 2018, 04:20:39 PM
He also got a bit of a laugh, perhaps a cynical laugh, early in the speech, whilst boasting that his administration had accomplished more in its first two years than any other in American history, that he obviously did not expect.

That was hilarious.

Icarus

Not a cynical laugh but a derisive one.   Rolling laughter while the translation proceeded through the non English speakers.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on September 27, 2018, 05:09:52 AM
Not a cynical laugh but a derisive one.   Rolling laughter while the translation proceeded through the non English speakers.

Yes, "derisive" better.

Bluenose

The thought occurred to me that possibly what we are seeing is akin to what happened at the end of the Roman Empire.  Pretty much the main difference as I see  it that there are not barbarians at the gate, they're in the centre of things and the rest of the world is more connected than the empire was without Rome.  I hope not but it does at times seem more and more likely that the USA will collapse as a unified entity.  The USA for much of the post WWII era was the main driver of the world's economy, but that position is rather tenuous now and the policies the US government currently seem to be following seem likely to destroy what remains of that leadership.  I think the world will lose something valuable if this does indeed come to pass, but the rise of the religious right, the deliberate attempts to destroy previous advances in human rights particularly for women and non white-Anglo-Saxon people, healthcare and social security is alarming.

My country has shown some degree of attempting to follow the USA's lead but fortunately I think Aussies generally reject such changes and are likely to eject the current government from power at the next Federal election due no later than mid next year. (The current Australian Government seems to an extent fascinated by some of the ideas from the Trump administration.)  Of course the current Opposition seems likely to repeat many of the mistakes of the Whitlam Government back in the 1970s so we seem likely to be in for a period of rampant over spending and inflation.  But that is the way it often happens in this country, we swing from one extreme to the other.  The Labor Party gets elected and does a whole lot of probably necessary things, but gets carried away and spends too much trying to do too many things too quickly and after one or two terms get chucked out by a huge majority and the conservatives get in and have to fix the country's finances.  Inevitably they go too far and begin to introduce some draconian measures, or at least try to, and then they get chucked out and it all starts again.  The one saving grace here is that neither side usually gets to control both houses of Parliament so the Senate generally acts to moderate the excesses of whichever side is in command in the House of Representatives.

I really hope I'm wrong about the USA.  Maybe sense will finally break through.  Maybe Kavanagh will not be confirmed, maybe the final straw will eventually be added to the camel's back of the Trump administration and it will come tumbling down in a rash of criminal convictions and impeachment.  I'm just not betting on it.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

joeactor

Quote from: Bluenose on October 01, 2018, 01:38:17 PM
The thought occurred to me that possibly what we are seeing is akin to what happened at the end of the Roman Empire.  Pretty much the main difference as I see  it that there are not barbarians at the gate, they're in the centre of things and the rest of the world is more connected than the empire was without Rome.  I hope not but it does at times seem more and more likely that the USA will collapse as a unified entity.  The USA for much of the post WWII era was the main driver of the world's economy, but that position is rather tenuous now and the policies the US government currently seem to be following seem likely to destroy what remains of that leadership.  I think the world will lose something valuable if this does indeed come to pass, but the rise of the religious right, the deliberate attempts to destroy previous advances in human rights particularly for women and non white-Anglo-Saxon people, healthcare and social security is alarming.

My country has shown some degree of attempting to follow the USA's lead but fortunately I think Aussies generally reject such changes and are likely to eject the current government from power at the next Federal election due no later than mid next year. (The current Australian Government seems to an extent fascinated by some of the ideas from the Trump administration.)  Of course the current Opposition seems likely to repeat many of the mistakes of the Whitlam Government back in the 1970s so we seem likely to be in for a period of rampant over spending and inflation.  But that is the way it often happens in this country, we swing from one extreme to the other.  The Labor Party gets elected and does a whole lot of probably necessary things, but gets carried away and spends too much trying to do too many things too quickly and after one or two terms get chucked out by a huge majority and the conservatives get in and have to fix the country's finances.  Inevitably they go too far and begin to introduce some draconian measures, or at least try to, and then they get chucked out and it all starts again.  The one saving grace here is that neither side usually gets to control both houses of Parliament so the Senate generally acts to moderate the excesses of whichever side is in command in the House of Representatives.

I really hope I'm wrong about the USA.  Maybe sense will finally break through.  Maybe Kavanagh will not be confirmed, maybe the final straw will eventually be added to the camel's back of the Trump administration and it will come tumbling down in a rash of criminal convictions and impeachment.  I'm just not betting on it.

My wife has the same concerns. It's a dark time for the USA, for certain. I have a bit more faith in the system, but the corruption seems to run very deep. Only time will tell, but I hold hope that truth will out.

Ecurb Noselrub

It's ironic that this whole mess could be largely resolved by a man named "Flake."  If he takes a stand, Kavanaugh falls. 

Bluenose

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on October 02, 2018, 12:38:12 PM
It's ironic that this whole mess could be largely resolved by a man named "Flake."  If he takes a stand, Kavanaugh falls.

Yes, I've noticed that too.  We live in hope...
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

xSilverPhinx

I'm totally ignorant on the subject, but I always thought that the driving force of American economics was war. They seem to always be at war with someone. Pax americana could probably be devastating for the country.   

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 03, 2018, 02:34:06 PM
I'm totally ignorant on the subject, but I always thought that the driving force of American economics was war. They seem to always be at war with someone. Pax americana could probably be devastating for the country.

I was taught that, barring a few really supee pumped up ego in history, every was has had an economic basis - from the herder's grazing land to the last fossil fuel then food then water sources.

Soldiers are not responsible for causing wars, insdustrialists poke politicians into doing that.