News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Serious help needed.

Started by Tank, June 16, 2017, 09:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

I've locked horns with a serious Islamic nutter on FB (I know I shouldn't).

I need a mathematical proof demonstrating that 0+0=1 is not true.

Any help on doing this properly would be appreciated.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Ooer, can't find anything on that, Tank. Lots on why 1 does not equal 0, 0÷0 does not equal 1 and the value of 0^0.

Not enough of a mathematician to bend any of those to the shape you need.

What is the context?
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

What about:

0 + a = a for any number a
Let a = 0
therefore 0 + 0 = 0
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 16, 2017, 09:59:31 AM
What about:

Let a = 0
therefore 0 + 0 = 0

Also solve for a=1 for comparison?

hermes2015

Quote from: Gloucester on June 16, 2017, 10:13:16 AM
What about:

Let a = 0
therefore 0 + 0 = 0

Yes, I assumed Tank would build a response on this and expand with some examples. However, I suspect he is arguing with a fanatic with a closed mind and logic is not going to convince that person.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Claireliontamer

Would be intrigued to read the argument and how on earth you got to this stage!

hermes2015

Whatever you do, don't tell him about Gödel. He will use that as "evidence" that our number theory is flawed!
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 16, 2017, 10:56:52 AM
Whatever you do, don't tell him about Gödel. He will use that as "evidence" that our number theory is flawed!

Nor about some of Karl Popper's ideas or possible alternative universes with weird geometries...

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on June 16, 2017, 10:46:20 AM
Quote from: Gloucester on June 16, 2017, 10:13:16 AM
What about:

Let a = 0
therefore 0 + 0 = 0

Yes, I assumed Tank would build a response on this and expand with some examples. However, I suspect he is arguing with a fanatic with a closed mind and logic is not going to convince that person.

He's a Nigerian civil servant. No wonder Nigeria is fucked!

Tank

This is a case of speaking to the silent audience. We all know there are silent atheists in many theistic communities. They are who I am aiming at. This chap sets himself up as an authority figure and needs to be taken down a peg or two. He's a science denying anti-evolution Muslim. He thinks 'Science is an assumption.'

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on June 16, 2017, 01:12:58 PM
This is a case of speaking to the silent audience. We all know there are silent atheists in many theistic communities. They are who I am aiming at.

I think that is a good motive and if this interchange just pushed one doubter in the right direction, it would be worthwhile. I applaud your willingness to do this. I am usually too apathetic to argue with someone I think is a lost cause.
― Charles Eames

Dave

Not being on FB I can only see three comments.

Which Muhhama/ed is your opponent? In what I see some seem to favour science at least a little.

jumbojak

I could be mistaken, but I don't think that's a simple one to prove Chris. There's a lot of background going into something that seems so simple.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz