News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

The 2nd amendment. (the right to bere/bare/bear arms)

Started by Tank, November 13, 2015, 08:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Essie Mae

A different take on the anti-gun stance; not belligerent, (which puts people off),  :-* but punches the message home.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

joeactor

Interesting take on it, but I doubt it will have any actual impact.

Our gun laws are a joke. Too many loopholes.

What good does it do to lock your front door, when the window, back and side doors are wide open?

Gotta have background checks and waiting periods on all gun sales, public and private.
Plus laws to hold those accountable who sell without following the laws.
And a more comprehensive mental health system to shore up the screening process.
... and limits on what types of weapons and ammo you can buy. Not sure I want my neighbor having a tank or a SAM, no matter how responsible he is.

It's a tall order, for sure, but that doesn't mean we can't implement some of it.

Guardian85

My first thing would be to make the use of safes or gun lockers mandatory, like it is here in Norway.
If guns can be stolen while the owners are out of the house there will still be way too many guns out there in the black/gray market.
Not to mention all the "kids found daddy's gun" stories.

But yeah, Joe. Background checks and updated gun registries are also a must.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

solidsquid

I think I may have the minority stance here when it comes to firearms and the debate surrounding the legislation thereof. 

With that said I understand the point the video was attempting to make.  However, it also gives the impression that there has been little to no "restrictive" legislation on firearms in the U.S. since the time of the Brown Bess.  In reality there has been substantial legislation over the years.  It also can be interpreted to imply that the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution is antiquated and in need of revision - many opponents calling for the outright deletion of the amendment from the Bill of Rights. 

Any crime statistics, country models of legislation, historical reviews and Constitutional law rulings aside - this boils down more to an ideological debate with the problem being there is little common ground with many seemingly simple solutions being much more complicated when truly examined in detail.

The other side is one regarding the idea of freedom over control.  One must be reduced in order to increase the other.

Steeler

How many more times do we have to hear, after a mass shooting, that the shooter had mental issues?
Surely it can't be this hard to fix. Get this info on the NICS!

Firebird

Quote from: Steeler on November 29, 2015, 01:57:00 AM
How many more times do we have to hear, after a mass shooting, that the shooter had mental issues?

Every western country has people with mental health issues, yet we still have more mass shootings by far. So it's not just that.

I liked that ad. Where did you find it?
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Steeler

Quote from: Firebird on November 29, 2015, 02:44:52 AM
Quote from: Steeler on November 29, 2015, 01:57:00 AM

Every western country has people with mental health issues, yet we still have more mass shootings by far. So it's not just that.

I liked that ad. Where did you find it?

No, it won't stop all but if it stops just one it's worth a better system. James Holmes. Best example.

Crow

Retired member.

joeactor

The Onion has a good take on it:
http://www.theonion.com/article/gorilla-sales-skyrocket-after-latest-gorilla-attac-30860

QuoteGorilla Sales Skyrocket After Latest Gorilla Attack

SAN DIEGO—Following the events of last week, in which a crazed western lowland gorilla ruthlessly murdered 21 people in a local shopping plaza after escaping from the San Diego Zoo, sources across the country confirmed Thursday that national gorilla sales have since skyrocketed.

"After seeing yet another deranged gorilla just burst into a public place and start killing people, I decided I need to make sure something like that never happens to me," said 34-year-old Atlanta resident Nick Keller, shortly after purchasing a 350-pound mountain gorilla from his local gorilla store. "It just gives me peace of mind knowing that if I'm ever in that situation, I won't have to just watch helplessly as my torso is ripped in half and my face is chewed off. I'll be able to use my gorilla to defend myself."

Michael1

I am against any form of weapons that were made to do unnecessary harm to others, and instead I am in favor of martial arts and such, within reasonable limits.

Balance, we must have balance!
I liked the earth before it was cool.