News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Non-religious pet peeves

Started by fester30, February 20, 2011, 08:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForTheLoveOfAll

Quote from: "KDbeads"Put the cell phone down and do your job already.  You are getting PAID to do whatever it is, not sit there and talk/text the whole freaking time while getting nothing done.
This is something that really gets to me, too. I've never owned a cell phone, and kind of dread the fact that I'll be needing to get one soon to keep in touch with people and to help run my buisness.

I see people in town, friends of mine, people at work, all on those dammed things 24/7. I've heard some of them say they couldn't live without it. Bullshit. We lived just fine the past 200,00 or so years without them. They're supposed to be tools, but they end up turning the people using them into tools.
A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism.
-Carl Sagan

I loved when Bush came out and said, "We are losing the war against drugs." You know what that implies? There's a war being fought, and the people on drugs are winning it.
- Bill Hicks

hismikeness

Quote from: "ForTheLoveOfAll"I see people in town, friends of mine, people at work, all on those dammed things 24/7. I've heard some of them say they couldn't live without it. Bullshit. We lived just fine the past 200,00 or so years without them. They're supposed to be tools, but they end up turning the people using them into tools.

There's a time and a place for cell phone use, and a lot of people don't know when that is. I think it is just like anything else which may annoy others... if a person is aware of it, they will usually not continue doing it (like talking on the phone in an elevator, for example).

People who say they can't live without their phones... probably hyperbole. But just because we didn't have them for many years before we did doesn't mean they are any less useful/helpful/addictive now. We didn't have computers, vaccines, microwaves, tv, cars, and innumerable other technologies for many years, and for me, I have grown to depend on several of those technologies everyday. While I could probably live without any of those, I think it would suck.

Same for my cell phone. Though it would be easier to live without that than my car.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Tank

Quote from: "MariaEvri"my one
and biggest
pet peeve is:
they're, their, there

makes my hair stand to see them used incorrectly-and I'm not even english

They're was a time when the grammatical errors you mention their would have peeved my too, but those times are gone now, there not the sort of grammatical error that peeves me now.

How's you're hair?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

BadPoison

Quote from: "Tank"They're was a time when the grammatical errors you mention their would have peeved my too, but those times are gone now, there not the sort of grammatical error that peeves me now.

How's you're hair?

That was difficult to read. It slightly upset my stomach.

Was it equally hard to write?  :D

Tank

Quote from: "BadPoison"
Quote from: "Tank"They're was a time when the grammatical errors you mention their would have peeved my too, but those times are gone now, there not the sort of grammatical error that peeves me now.

How's you're hair?

That was difficult to read. It slightly upset my stomach.

Was it equally hard to write?  :D
It was surprisingly disconcerting to write it!
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

terranus

People who drive 10mph under the speed limit.

To quote the great philosopher Ludacris,

QuoteI'm doin' a hundred on the highway...
So if you do the speed limit, get the FUCK outta my way!
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

Tom62

Or trucks that try to overtake each other on a two lane, busy highway with only 1 km/mile per hour speed difference  :rant: .
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

Quote from: "Tom62"Or trucks that try to overtake each other on a two lane, busy highway with only 1 km/mile per hour speed difference  :rant: .
+1.

DirtyLeo

It has to be driving-related, right?

"People who act fast when driving". I'm all for speed limits (now that I'm 37... and really old) but I cannot stand when people take 5 seconds to decide whether they have to turn or engage or whatever. Make up your mind and take a decision god dammit! (am I allowed to say "God dammit" even if I'm an atheist?)
Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie
* "Often, the last thing men believe is the truth."
* "Right y'are! I must be the stupidest bastard in the Circle of the World, er? It's a wonder I can hold my own shit in without paying mind to my arse every minute."
Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay
* "We

father nicetouch

Mine is when people are talking to me with I’m trying to read or write. I’m over here trying to concentrate and there they are yapping away! Fuck! It’s hard enough for me to spell or use correct grammar when I'm concentrating. Let alone with someone over my shoulder asking me what I’m reading or writing about! :hissyfit:
We have talked about this before! I know you love me! But I think it would be better if we just stayed as friends, Jesus!

I tried talking to Satan the other day, but just like god, there was no response!

Tank

My ability to type is inversely proportional to the number of people watching me type!

Lost

Quote from: "father nicetouch"Mine is when people are talking to me with I’m trying to read or write. I’m over here trying to concentrate and there they are yapping away! Fuck! It’s hard enough for me to spell or use correct grammar when I'm concentrating. Let alone with someone over my shoulder asking me what I’m reading or writing about! :( The guy next to me, that I work directly with, talks to himself. So, I never know whether or not I should be listening. I usually ignore him, but then I have to ask him to repeat himself if he actually was talking to me. My job requires a lot of complex thought, so my mind is often full when he starts babbling. So incredibly irritating!

Tank

Quote from: "Lost"
Quote from: "father nicetouch"Mine is when people are talking to me with I’m trying to read or write. I’m over here trying to concentrate and there they are yapping away! Fuck! It’s hard enough for me to spell or use correct grammar when I'm concentrating. Let alone with someone over my shoulder asking me what I’m reading or writing about! :( The guy next to me, that I work directly with, talks to himself. So, I never know whether or not I should be listening. I usually ignore him, but then I have to ask him to repeat himself if he actually was talking to me. My job requires a lot of complex thought, so my mind is often full when he starts babbling. So incredibly irritating!
Ear plugs?

Lost

I usually just open my window, and then the background noise of birds chirping, traffic, etc... helps to tone him down.

DirtyLeo

Quote from: "Lost"I usually just open my window, and then the background noise of birds chirping, traffic, etc... helps to tone him down.

I can recommend white noise or nature sounds. My son has a sleep sheep that plays various nature sounds such as ocean or rain etc. which follows the same principle. If you have a smartphone (what a stupid name, isn't it?) like Android or iPhone, you can download white noise apps. I sometimes use one called AmbiSci on the iPhone. And I'm sure there are MP3s or full albums out there.
Best Served Cold - Joe Abercrombie
* "Often, the last thing men believe is the truth."
* "Right y'are! I must be the stupidest bastard in the Circle of the World, er? It's a wonder I can hold my own shit in without paying mind to my arse every minute."
Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay
* "We