News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Yes, bloody well done, Junior!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

jumbojak

How long do F1 engines run between rebuilds or replacement?

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on February 23, 2018, 09:28:13 AM
Proud Dad moment :)

My son in the McLaren pit during testing. He's Alonso's performance engineer this season!

That is a, Proud Dad Moment.:smilenod:
Congratulations.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on February 23, 2018, 02:46:18 PM
How long do F1 engines run between rebuilds or replacement?
There are 21 races and 5 engines allowed. Plus practice, quifying and testing. So about 25 hours of useful life. They don't get rebuilt as they are sealed by the FIA. But they comprise more than the ICU. They are leathal with a honking great DC power pack that when charged will kill you in an instant.

Mercedes 2018 engine
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

jumbojak

Sealed how? Like, tape on gasketed parts to show tampering? Like, if there was a catastrophic failure due to an assembly error - say, debris in an oil gallery - can they take it apart to inspect?

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on February 23, 2018, 09:09:14 PM
Sealed how? Like, tape on gasketed parts to show tampering? Like, if there was a catastrophic failure due to an assembly error - say, debris in an oil gallery - can they take it apart to inspect?
I don't know the mechanism. But there are serious penalties for carrying out illegal work on the power units. If an ICU, or gearbox or turbo etc. suffered a breakdown of some kind then it can be examined to see why.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

jumbojak

Cool stuff but too sophisticated for me. This is more more my speed.  ;D

https://youtu.be/IGtdhl2N6tc

Might start halfway through but the beginning really sets it off...

xSilverPhinx

Congrats Tank Jr! Sounds like a cool job.  8)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on February 23, 2018, 09:50:02 PM

The tollerences are so tight on the bore of an F1 engine it seazes when it gets cold. They have to circulate hot oil through it before they can start it up! Quite a different beast.

Dave

https://youtu.be/IGtdhl2N6tc

Petrol heads! Hah!

OK, back when I was young I did supe up my motorbike . . . Lifted the compression, fitted a (much) bigger carb and surprised the riders of Hondas - which were then just getting established (mid 60s). They had no idea a 250cc Royal Enfield Crusader could do wheelies! (Neither did I, nearly lost it!)

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on February 25, 2018, 10:02:31 PM

The tollerences are so tight on the bore of an F1 engine it seazes when it gets cold. They have to circulate hot oil through it before they can start it up! Quite a different beast.

Have you or your son ever heard of Smokey Yunick? Greatest engineer/cheat in racing. He once built a 15/16 scale car to get one over the officials. When the rules said that the stock torque converter had to be in the car he strapped it down in the trunk.

Anyway, there's a photo of Smokey standing on pit road waiting for his car to come in. He's wearing his white coveralls and cowboy hat holding an acetylene torch to an old fashioned metal oil can. His dyno testing had shown that adding cooler oil during a pit stop cost them power and had figured out how long to heat the can to reach operating temperature.

Sandra Craft

What's making me cheerful lately, absolutely giggly, is how many tough-talking, middle-aged white guys are terrified of a Latina teenager with a buzz cut.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dave

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 27, 2018, 08:05:20 AM
What's making me cheerful lately, absolutely giggly, is how many tough-talking, middle-aged white guys are terrified of a Latina teenager with a buzz cut.

Yes, it is an interesting phenomena I have also noticed. Some celebtities have already ssid they would vote for her if she entered politics.

(Section deleted and moved to "Another mass shooting")

xSilverPhinx

I woke up this morning sure it was Saturday. Turns out it's only Friday! :grin: Feels like I've gained a weekend day.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Biggus Dickus

OMG I'm so happy...the Nazi's are here!

Someone get the tea kettle going, meanwhile I'll make up some delicious crumpets. I usually just like mine warm with butter, but I'm sure we can also provide some sweet or savory toppings to go with these.

It will be so nice...sigh. :dance:

"HUGS EVERYONE"

:daddance:
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."