News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Objects of Desire

Started by hermes2015, April 04, 2018, 07:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on April 18, 2018, 02:26:06 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on April 17, 2018, 02:32:18 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on April 17, 2018, 01:35:55 PM
Are the wings on those dragonflies stained glass?

I'm pretty sure they are. Lalique was a master of glass techniques. He started off as a jeweller. When he needed some cameo style heads, he made them from glass using the cire perdue technique. He was then commissioned to make perfume bottles, and that gave him the idea to start making vases. So today when people hear the name Lalique, they usually think of his vases and plates.

It seems I was wrong. The wings are actually plique-a-jour enamel, which does resemble stained glass.

All but stained glass, since ensmel is a hkass andbit is voloured! Would hate to try actually cutying shapes out of gkass that thin though . . . Though gemstones have been cut to very small, thin shapes for many centuries

Facinating process:

https://youtu.be/7_adGkoEirU

This is part 2, there is a psrt three.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on April 18, 2018, 02:53:51 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on April 18, 2018, 02:26:06 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on April 17, 2018, 02:32:18 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on April 17, 2018, 01:35:55 PM
Are the wings on those dragonflies stained glass?

I'm pretty sure they are. Lalique was a master of glass techniques. He started off as a jeweller. When he needed some cameo style heads, he made them from glass using the cire perdue technique. He was then commissioned to make perfume bottles, and that gave him the idea to start making vases. So today when people hear the name Lalique, they usually think of his vases and plates.

It seems I was wrong. The wings are actually plique-a-jour enamel, which does resemble stained glass.

All but stained glass, since ensmel is a hkass andbit is voloured! Would hate to try actually cutying shapes out of gkass that thin though . . . Though gemstones have been cut to very small, thin shapes for many centuries

Facinating process:

https://youtu.be/7_adGkoEirU

This is part 2, there is a psrt three.

Wonderfully instructive video. One has to admire the skill of the jeweller.

The technique of cloisonné is similar to plique-a-jour. My dealer once offered me a cloisonné bowl, about 15cm in diameter, by Fabergé. He wanted the equivalent of £2000 for it, so naturally I told him that I wanted it. I went to collect it the next day, only to be told that he had received an overnight offer of £15 000 for it from a buyer in London. So that time I lost out. If I had rushed over immediately to buy it, I would have owned quite a valuable Fabergé bowl today. I guess you can't win them all.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

There was some surprise in the HAF Cutlery thread recently when I said I liked simple things, so I thought it would be a good idea to clarify what I meant. My posts of some Art Nouveau jewellery by Lalique may have given the impression that my home is decorated in that style. My taste in objects is admittedly quite catholic, meaning that I appreciate many different styles and periods of design. But what I choose to live with at home is totally the opposite to Art Nouveau, although I do own a number of original Lalique pieces. I truly have a preference for very simple, unadorned things, but that does not mean they are unsophisticated. I don't like floral prints and other types of surface decoration; I like raw silk and natural, undyed cotton and linen fabrics. There is a Japanese word, shibui, that is a perfect description of what I like in my home.

I have been using this tableware (designed by the Finnish potter Ulla Procope for the Arabia factory in Finland) since my student days when I started collecting it. It illustrates quite well what I've been saying.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

jumbojak

I never thought I'd say this but those are some sexy pots you have there Hermes.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on April 25, 2018, 03:54:55 PM
I never thought I'd say this but those are some sexy pots you have there Hermes.

Thank you. I have always loved that design. It is now discontinued, but they have become popular with collectors and come up at auction from time to time. To be honest, the photos are not actually of my own ones at home, but I have exactly the same ones and more. The photos are from Google:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Ulla+Procope+ruska&client=firefox-b&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiH8JuD4dXaAhWGyKQKHS-fAJMQ7AkIOg&biw=1920&bih=956
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

WOW! I just found this thread. Many beautiful objects! I'll dig up a few pics and post them up.

xSilverPhinx

^ Your username reminds me of the plasma lamp I always wanted to have:

A rather useless but beautiful item.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

Cool! I picked my handle up from some information I found about terrestrial gamma ray sources- lightning inside clouds that we don't see any light from- dark lightning. If you fly near storm clouds you may be exposed to gamma rays if there is internal lightning. Crazy.

Anne D.

I'm sold on the lovely dragonfly jewelry and the wood and black leather chair. Yum.

I think an old, nicely maintained Jaguar would be quite nice. Not the new bubbly-looking ones, though.

But the things I really covet are services, not goods. Housekeeping, massages, therapy, personal training, handymanning. The finer things in life.

Tank

A functioning, or failing that artificial, pancreas.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

jumbojak

It needs wider armrests, but I like it!

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on November 28, 2018, 08:00:57 AM
A functioning, or failing that artificial, pancreas.

:o

I'll see what I can do.

Have you thought of doing air bnb?
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: jumbojak on February 07, 2019, 02:24:12 PM
It needs wider armrests, but I like it!

It needs to be a proper chair with a high back and cushy cushions.
You can't possibly shelve all the books you might want about your chair, another solution must be found.
I'm thinking drones, remote controlled miniature railways and minion refugees from Asmodealand.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.