News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Another Mass Shooting

Started by Recusant, October 02, 2017, 06:58:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Oh, what a surprise! Trump grabbed a suggestion, by one of the fathers of one of the killed kids, that teachers and coaches be armed with both hands!

Quote"If you had a teacher who was adept with the firearm, they could end the attack very quickly," he said, stating that schools could arm up to 20% of their teachers to stop "maniacs" who may try and attack them.
"This would be obviously only for people who were very adept at handling a gun, and it would be, it's called concealed carry, where a teacher would have a concealed gun on them. They'd go for special training and they would be there and you would no longer have a gun-free zone," Trump said. "Gun-free zone to a maniac -- because they're all cowards -- a gun-free zone is 'let's go in and let's attack because bullets aren't coming back at us.' "
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/02/21/politics/trump-listening-sessions-parkland-students/index.html

And so the madness goes on, unless the sane ones can make enough national noise. But the anger of the mad armed ones may cause a violent reaction.

Later: reviewing this news again: Trump's comments on "gun free zones" being dangerous applies only because they would be islands of sanity in a sea of madness!

Ecpecting logic, even common sense, from the likes of Trump is an expectation too far.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Essie Mae

Must not go to lesson without my Smith and Wesson.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Tank

Quote from: Essie Mae on February 22, 2018, 10:07:20 AM
How is your knee?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Davin

It's all OK now, the problem is solved.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/gradebook/2018/02/21/florida-house-approves-bill-to-post-in-god-we-trust-in-all-public-schools/
QuoteThe bill (HB 839) would require all public schools to post the state motto, "In God We Trust," in a "conspicuous place."

Sponsor Rep. Kim Daniels, a Jacksonville Democrat who runs her own ministry, said Florida needed the legislation, given the goings on in the state.

"He is not a Republican or a Democrat. He is not black or white," Daniels said. "He is the light, and our schools need light in them like never before."[...]

"We cannot put God in a closet when the issues we face are bigger than us," she said, urging colleagues to back the bill.

[gifv]https://i.imgur.com/atRqEvx.mp4[/gifv]
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Quote from: Davin on February 22, 2018, 01:33:49 PM

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/gradebook/2018/02/21/florida-house-approves-bill-to-post-in-god-we-trust-in-all-public-schools/
QuoteThe bill (HB 839) would require all public schools to post the state motto, "In God We Trust," in a "conspicuous place."

Sponsor Rep. Kim Daniels, a Jacksonville Democrat who runs her own ministry, said Florida needed the legislation, given the goings on in the state.

"He is not a Republican or a Democrat. He is not black or white," Daniels said. "He is the light, and our schools need light in them like never before."[...]

"We cannot put God in a closet when the issues we face are bigger than us," she said, urging colleagues to back the bill.

Phew, that's a relief, the Lord be praised.

:eyeroll:

Harmonie

Quote from: Davin on February 22, 2018, 01:33:49 PM

I originally read the word "bill" in the last line as "bull", and I can't help but feel that would have been more appropriate.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Davin

Quote from: Harmonie on February 22, 2018, 07:35:10 PM
I originally read the word "bill" in the last line as "bull", and I can't help but feel that would have been more appropriate.

It was passed by a vote of 97 against 10. Hopefully the constitution will win out on challenges. But I'm getting a 1950s kind of vibe where the religious assholes take advantage of a situation and the rest of us have to live with it for decades all the while other religious assholes point at it and say something stupid like, "See? That shows that we're a Christian country."
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Essie Mae

Quote from: Tank on February 22, 2018, 12:44:30 PM
How is your knee?

Much better thanks; I can walk without aid but not very quickly. Still waiting to see surgeon and for 'emergency physio'. I have found the relevant, simple exercises online. Found using the stick unbalanced me too much so best to do without.

Tank

Quote from: Essie Mae on February 22, 2018, 08:42:21 PM
Quote from: Tank on February 22, 2018, 12:44:30 PM
How is your knee?

Much better thanks; I can walk without aid but not very quickly. Still waiting to see surgeon and for 'emergency physio'. I have found the relevant, simple exercises online. Found using the stick unbalanced me too much so best to do without.

Good news.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Harmonie

Quote from: Davin on February 22, 2018, 07:44:15 PM
Quote from: Harmonie on February 22, 2018, 07:35:10 PM

It was passed by a vote of 97 against 10. Hopefully the constitution will win out on challenges. But I'm getting a 1950s kind of vibe where the religious assholes take advantage of a situation and the rest of us have to live with it for decades all the while other religious assholes point at it and say something stupid like, "See? That shows that we're a Christian country."

There's nothing we can do because it is already established as the "official motto" even though it is a horrendous motto no matter which way I try to look at it.

However, right now it's just straight up unbearably "offensive", for lack of a better term. Mass shootings are happening regularly, and the only thing that the people in power can come up with is "We need God in schools!". You know, it already infuriates me enough that when any tragedy happens it's always "#Prayfor___" and never anything of actual substance.

It's just completely absurd that we're clinging to a myth from two thousand years ago... That we think that our modern form of 'rituals' to some deity that has no proof of existence will mean anything at all. Normally it's just embarrassing to me, but now it's just... as, I said, offensive. Because real existent things actually need to get done, but instead not only are people doing the usual meaningless "#Prayfor____" crap, but now the legislators are doing the same crap, just taking it a step further instead of actually doing anything!

Wonder how many people who call bringing up gun control following shootings (which happen so often) "politicizing" don't think that this is politicizing because it damn well is. And it's worthless. It's a slap in the face to the victims, the children and teachers who survived the shooting and are traumatized, and the children and teachers who have to go to school every single day afraid that it will be their last time.

We don't want ridiculous woo rituals to deities without proof, we want action!

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Essie Mae

God; guns; sorted.

I hope it's not offensive, but there were some funny tweets from Brit teachers responding to guns in the classroom.

Tank

Quote from: Essie Mae on February 24, 2018, 08:57:51 AM
God; guns; sorted.

I hope it's not offensive, but there were some funny tweets from Brit teachers responding to guns in the classroom.

My wife has been telling me some of them :rofl:

Icarus

FWIW most of our American teachers are not at all on board with the guns in class madness.  They want to teach, they assuredly do not want to become involved in the Shootout At The OK Corral.  The wild west scenario is for the movies not the classroom.   Not that teachers are cowards, Far from it. I know more than a few women who have more grit than many of the men I know. 

My own take on that line of reasoning is,that for one thing, a revolver or a Glock nine, is a damned poor match for a nutter with an AK 47.  The other thing is that if  a teacher fires back we now have bullets flying in two directions. I don't want my kid to be in the middle of that kind of action.

Here is where I want my kid to be.  He or she would make me very proud to become involved and active with the groundswell of opposition to gun stupidity that the kids have created.  Those kids are experts in the use of social media.   They can mobilize kids all over the nation. I hope that they do. .... One of the bright young girl spokespersons has said on national TV,  " do something or we are coming after you"   She was not threatening to kill the gun nut politicians, She was telling them that they will suffer at the ballot box if they fail to get their shit together.  I hope to hell that she was right and that the current outrage will not be diminished with time.   

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on February 26, 2018, 02:07:22 AM
FWIW most of our American teachers are not at all on board with the guns in class madness.  They want to teach, they assuredly do not want to become involved in the Shootout At The OK Corral.  The wild west scenario is for the movies not the classroom.   Not that teachers are cowards, Far from it. I know more than a few women who have more grit than many of the men I know. 

My own take on that line of reasoning is,that for one thing, a revolver or a Glock nine, is a damned poor match for a nutter with an AK 47.  The other thing is that if  a teacher fires back we now have bullets flying in two directions. I don't want my kid to be in the middle of that kind of action.

Here is where I want my kid to be.  He or she would make me very proud to become involved and active with the groundswell of opposition to gun stupidity that the kids have created.  Those kids are experts in the use of social media.   They can mobilize kids all over the nation. I hope that they do. .... One of the bright young girl spokespersons has said on national TV,  " do something or we are coming after you"   She was not threatening to kill the gun nut politicians, She was telling them that they will suffer at the ballot box if they fail to get their shit together.  I hope to hell that she was right and that the current outrage will not be diminished with time.   

If there was crowd funding for those kids and their campaign I would contribute!

jumbojak

I hate to be a downer here but I doubt anything will come of it. The whole idea of arming teachers is so ridiculous that I suspect it's a way for the Republican side to be so far away from any sort of compromise solution that they never have to commit to doing anything meaningful and can maintain the status quo.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz