Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Things that make you chuckle

Started by Dave, September 06, 2017, 06:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bad Penny II

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 14, 2018, 05:47:58 AM

That doesn't make me chuckle, more of a cringe.
The idea of attracting someone with your car seems crass to me.
Is that a Prius?  I don't know why they can't be made look better for the $ they cost.
Still, I think I'd prefer people attracted to a Prius than a Mr Desperate Mobile.
Dogs are supposed to be good for meeting people, dog walkers seem a lot less desperate anyway and desperate is unattractive.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

Bugatti - but, yeah, I would not wsnt to know any woman who was attracted to me only by my car. But then, I am no sex machine out for quick lays!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Tank

"Dogs are supposed to be good for meeting people,"

I can attest to that. I walk my dogs regularly and the other dog walkers I meet are almost exclusively nice people like me.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on August 14, 2018, 01:18:05 PM
"Dogs are supposed to be good for meeting people,"

I can attest to that. I walk my dogs regularly and the other dog walkers I meet are almost exclusively nice people like me.

Glad you added "almost", Tank, exclude the owner of the Rottweiler that bit me! But yes, I agree, 99% . . . My friend Jane's 10 minute walks usually last at least twice that with all the greeting and chatting. And if there are kids around taking rations and water might be a good idea.

Bluenose

I don't have any dogs these days, although I live with a dog and two cats at my son's home.  Generally, I have found the dogs I have had in the past were good judges of the character of the people I've met when out for a walk.  If the dog didn't like them I usually found I didn't either.  The dog I live with these days - Rogue, a black cocker spaniel - not so much.  She loves everybody! LOL
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Icarus

Bluenose; I agree that dogs are generally good at assessing the intent of the stranger.  My big Irish setter, Molly, was the sweetest girl n town  but when I was approached by a stranger that Molly did not like she curled her lips back and got herself between me and the stranger. .  I learned that she was almost always right.  My Bernese, Teddy,  was equally shrewd about such things,  He too was a gentle sweetheart but became dangerous if he thought that there was any threat to me.  I often worked alone, except for Teddy, late in my machine shop that was in a seedy area of town.  I never needed the shotgun that was nearby. When a ninety pound canine  makes a growling sound like distant thunder.......few dared to challenge him. 

Bluenose

Ha, Icarus, I get what you mean by the deep growl.  Many years ago a friend of mine had a very large German shepherd named Carl.  When anyone came to the door he would bark and growl with a sound that started about 30 feet underground.  The thing was, although he sounded absolutely ferocious, if you simply said "Aww, what's the matter Carl?" he would turn into a little puppy dog wagging his tail!  LOL
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

jumbojak

I got a good laugh out of this one but it's keeping me up at night. How in the hell did they manage it?!

I mean, they didn't roll it over because rolling a bulldozer would leave something crushed. The undercarriage is in good shape, the cab looks like new, and the tracks are on one piece. ???

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

^

There is something top right, a bridge, railway or something? A flatbed truck would not be high enough.

I csn imagine it driving off a higher level then nose diving. The chances of it keeping balance at the speed it had to be doing though . . .

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on August 15, 2018, 02:36:11 AM
I got a good laugh out of this one but it's keeping me up at night. How in the hell did they manage it?!

I mean, they didn't roll it over because rolling a bulldozer would leave something crushed. The undercarriage is in good shape, the cab looks like new, and the tracks are on one piece. ???

AS Dave mentioned I think the clue is in the bridge top right of the picture.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

^

But how to get it on its tracks again without it hitting the bridge?

jumbojak

Aha! I didn't even notice whatever that is on the right. The hill caught all my attention.

Quote from: Dave on August 15, 2018, 10:04:01 AM
^

But how to get it on its tracks again without it hitting the bridge?

Maybe a BIG excavator, or a crane. Either way once it's on its feet again it'd be a whole before it was safe to start and run. There would be a lot of oil in places it's not supposed to be and I could see either hydrolock or a runaway if it was started without at least sitting for a few days.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz