News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Things that make you chuckle

Started by Dave, September 06, 2017, 06:32:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on August 15, 2018, 02:36:11 AM
I got a good laugh out of this one but it's keeping me up at night. How in the hell did they manage it?!

I mean, they didn't roll it over because rolling a bulldozer would leave something crushed. The undercarriage is in good shape, the cab looks like new, and the tracks are on one piece. ???

Well, it is rather obvious, isn't it? These things sprout from the earth like trees. :popcorn:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on August 15, 2018, 01:07:51 PM
I got a good laugh out of this one but it's keeping me up at night. How in the hell did they manage it?!

I mean, they didn't roll it over because rolling a bulldozer would leave something crushed. The undercarriage is in good shape, the cab looks like new, and the tracks are on one piece. ???

Well, it is rather obvious, isn't it? These things sprout from the earth like trees. :popcorn:

Ah, a caterpillar tree! Don't want to be around when the butterflies or moths hatch!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on August 15, 2018, 02:19:44 PM
Ah, a caterpillar tree! Don't want to be around when the butterflies or moths hatch!

That would be an interesting sight! :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Bad Penny II

With wizard photo shop skill.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

I had lunch in town today, my favourote Cajun chicken wrap and salad.

The wrap usually drips some of the lovelly oniony, garlicky, spicey dressing on the onions and peppers in it.

All the way, and at, home I seemed to smell something oniony, seemed to be everywhere. It was only just now I looked in the bathroom mirror and saw some of that dressing was on my moustache!

The source of the smell,  and the smell of the sauce, was literally under my nose all the time.

Dave

Talking to my friend, Jane, on the phone someone called to deliver a bottle of vino in "payment" for a job I did for her.  I told Jane we would share it in celebration when she moved back here, didn't want to drink it all at once myself. Jane said that I could always recork it and drink some tomorrow (I have a vacuum cork thingie.)

Reminded me of a lunch at work, a younger engineer asked, "How long does a bottle of wine last?"

Roger, our boss, said, "An hour," I added, "Maybe an hour and a half."

"No," the other said, "after you put the cork back in."

Roger and I looked, wide-eyed with shock, at each other and - in perfect unison - said, "Put the cork back in!?"

General laughter round the table.

It was as if rehearsed - but we found that we could also whistle together in near perfect harmony and timing - should have started a double act . . ,

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on August 21, 2018, 08:09:30 PM
Talking to my friend, Jane, on the phone someone called to deliver a bottle of vino in "payment" for a job I did for her.  I told Jane we would share it in celebration when she moved back here, didn't want to drink it all at once myself. Jane said that I could always recork it and drink some tomorrow (I have a vacuum cork thingie.)

Reminded me of a lunch at work, a younger engineer asked, "How long does a bottle of wine last?"

Roger and I looked, wide-eyed with shock, at each other and - in perfect unison - said, "Put the cork back in!?"

It was as if rehearsed - but we found that we could also whistle together in near perfect harmony and timing - should have started a double act . . ,

If you want to keep a not-so-good bottle of wine fresh for a few days to be used for cooking purposes (coq au vin, perhaps), just float a tablespoon of salad oil on top and keep it in the fridge. Better than pouring it down the sink.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 22, 2018, 05:55:07 AM

If you want to keep a not-so-good bottle of wine fresh for a few days to be used for cooking purposes (coq au vin, perhaps), just float a tablespoon of salad oil on top and keep it in the fridge. Better than pouring it down the sink.
Ah! I would be happy to keep red cooking wine in the fridge but "sealing" it against over-oxidisation with oil is a new one on me. Have sealed hot "jarred" stuff (salsa rather than jam) with candle-wax before now, keeps out oxygen and bugs, is non-toxic and easyish to remove (especially just out of the fridge.).

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on August 22, 2018, 06:12:02 AM

Ah! I would be happy to keep red cooking wine in the fridge but "sealing" it against over-oxidisation with oil is a new one on me. Have sealed hot "jarred" stuff (salsa rather than jam) with candle-wax before now, keeps out oxygen and bugs, is non-toxic and easyish to remove (especially just out of the fridge.).

I can vouch for the effectiveness of this trick; I've done it many times.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Bluenose

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 22, 2018, 06:54:39 AM

Yes I have done this many times as well, but with the advent of screw cap fasteners for wine bottles, most wine keeps quite well in the fridge just by putting the lid back on.  Of course, good quality drinking, as distinct from "cooking", wine never gets the opportunity...
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Bluenose on August 22, 2018, 10:47:12 AM

Yes I have done this many times as well, but with the advent of screw cap fasteners for wine bottles, most wine keeps quite well in the fridge just by putting the lid back on.  Of course, good quality drinking, as distinct from "cooking", wine never gets the opportunity...

Devotees of Château Cardboard don't have to bother with this.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

Half a bottle of wine possibly has enough oxygen in it to give the wine a bitter taste after a while. Letting a good red wine "breathe" for a couple of hours or so can sweeten it, but then it starts turning into vinegar if it over oxydates.

Bluenose

Quote from: Dave on August 22, 2018, 12:20:25 PM

Half a bottle of wine possibly has enough oxygen in it to give the wine a bitter taste after a while. Letting a good red wine "breathe" for a couple of hours or so can sweeten it, but then it starts turning into vinegar if it over oxydates.

Well, I've only ever done it with red wine I've been using for cooking.  I don't use rubbish for cooking, but I don't use the best either.  In any case the cooking wine has been fine for more cooking after at least a week.  As for white wine I've happily kept it in the fridge for up to a coup[le of weeks with no appreciable change in drinking quality.  All this is with screw caps, of course.
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Icarus

I have a gadget that is a vacuum pump that evacuates much of the oxygen from the partially filled bottle.  It is seldom needed because it is frightfully bad manners to fail to finish a bottle of wine.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on August 22, 2018, 11:29:15 PM
I have a gadget that is a vacuum pump that evacuates much of the oxygen from the partially filled bottle.  It is seldom needed because it is frightfully bad manners to fail to finish a bottle of wine.

No, no Old Chap, not bad manners as such, just frighfully bad form! Not the done thing, y'know. Maybe not be in Hartley's  "The Gentlemen's Book of Etiquette and Manual of Politeness" but . . .