Author Topic: Workshop and fixit stuff  (Read 1852 times)

Dave

• Formerly known as Gloucester
  • Blessing Her Holy Hooves
Re: Workshop and fixit stuff
« Reply #90 on: January 15, 2018, 04:36:03 PM »
You can quickly check the HT by grasping a bared bit of lead. :)

Kind of like tossing a charged capacitor at someone...

Had that done to me in training! Quickly learned to dance sideways, hands behind back or above the head, after that...

The other trick was to stand on two rubber mats then charge yourelf up to 25kV with an EHT generator, dropping the probe before the trick.  You know there is going to be a shock but the other guy does not!  Not actually much worse than a good electrostatic shock, an open palm slap spreads the current.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.

jumbojak

• Chandler's Pale Cock Slurper
  • The Iconic Iconoclast
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2018, 05:51:10 PM »
I narrowly avoided a really bad bench grinder accident today. Was knocking the rust from the iron and chip breader to a Stanley No. 4 hand plane sith the wire wheel and the grinder grabbed so hard that it reversed the grinder for a few seconds. It switched directions again so I kept on working. When I turned the machine off there was a terrible rattling from the stone on the other side.

Turns out... the reversal loosened the arbor nut holding the stone in place and had very nearly rattled itself off. I checked the stone for ring and assembled everything again but I'm thinking about putting some thread locker, just in case. If that stone had knocked around any more and exploded I'd probably be in the hospital right now.

In positive news the plane is coming along rather nicely. I still need to clean up some of the hardware and flatten the sole but it should work wonderfully once I'm done.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub
" Please hold your high school or college math books in higher esteem than
your copy of the KJV. " - Icarus

Dave

« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2018, 06:33:27 PM »
Ooh, nasty! Yeah, reversing an angle grinder is not recommrndade. I know it does not apply to angle gtinders but have lost count of how msny times I have explsined to prople why dome things have left hsnd tgresds. In one case one each of left and right at opposite ends of a spindle.

Icarus

• The wise one.
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2018, 12:17:28 AM »
Bench grinders can be wicked and dangerous as you are well aware JJ.  I once blew up a greenstone wheel that I was attempting to true up with a diamond dresser.  Not like I had never done that before.  I just goofed by raising the diamond tip above center.  The green stone disintigrated and a sizable piece hit me in the head, knocked me flat on my ass, broke my glasses, caused some blood, scared hell out of me. I wont be doing that again.

Stay safe JJ.  Those damned machines are evil things that have no respect for humans.

jumbojak

• The Iconic Iconoclast
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2018, 05:38:39 AM »
Ooh, nasty! Yeah, reversing an angle grinder is not recommrndade. I know it does not apply to angle gtinders but have lost count of how msny times I have explsined to prople why dome things have left hsnd tgresds. In one case one each of left and right at opposite ends of a spindle.

What suprised me  was the fact that the side that backed off was left hand thread. Thinking more about  the situation it seems that Black and Decker screwed up which side was which.

jumbojak

• The Iconic Iconoclast
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2018, 05:43:47 AM »
Bench grinders can be wicked and dangerous as you are well aware JJ.  I once blew up a greenstone wheel that I was attempting to true up with a diamond dresser.  Not like I had never done that before.  I just goofed by raising the diamond tip above center.  The green stone disintigrated and a sizable piece hit me in the head, knocked me flat on my ass, broke my glasses, caused some blood, scared hell out of me. I wont be doing that again.

Stay safe JJ.  Those damned machines are evil things that have no respect for humans.

I almost switched to a green wheel for sharpening tungsten but the deal I had lined up for a tig machine fell through. Having now read the msds for silicon carbide I think if I ever do find a tig I'll rig up a diamond wheel of some sort. There's a fellow named Stephan Gotteswinter who put together a cheap and effective diamond wheel for his small tool makers shop that I like.

Dave

« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2018, 05:52:50 AM »

What suprised me  was the fact that the side that backed off was left hand thread. Thinking more about  the situation it seems that Black and Decker screwed up which side was which.

Think my brain cell is asleep, I read "angle" not "bench" there somehow! Too bloody early am!