Main Menu

Beer

Started by Bad Penny II, December 17, 2016, 01:21:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Gloucester on December 21, 2016, 09:12:40 AM
This is getting way off the subject of beer,

The peer insult, and even the non-peer insult, I think are just part of the hieararchy of testing friends and potential enemies.

You might be right, somewhere, there's supposedly lots of universes.
There's bound to be ones with the principles of wanky sociology ingrained in their essence.  ;D :D :)

Birds and animals display at one another rather than fight, Maoris have their haka, armies hurled curses and shouted war cries at one another.

I don't know how it goes for birds and Maoris but play is fun.
Ah but some will take it too far and it's not fun any more.
I never thought it was fun.
See where you're coming from Blue, I have to play low, what else am I to do?
If I had a more capacious brain I'd probably play the sociology professor too.

In some cases it actually stops a fight. In humans perhaps there is a case that we can use our more complex rules and language to say, ""You are my friend thus we can exchange insults, without fighting, to prove that we have a strong bond." But insult your "friend's" mother, wife, sister or maybe even brother or another friend and you are outside of the bond. Trouble.

Alcohol sometimes provokes us to step outside of that rule of bonding.

Fascinaten

You've probably got your Sudoku
But what are we supposed to do?
:) ;) :D ;D :) ;) :D ;D :) ;) :) :D
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Guardian85

To get back on the original topic, I do enjoy a good beer or five.
:beer:

I prefer pilsner beers, but have been known to enjoy stouts and porters as well. Never got into IPAs (much too bitter for my tastes).

And I have it on good authority (Ali, Tank, Siz, Buddy, and others) that I am a very plesant and responsible drunk.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Davin

Sometimes I feel like I'm

But then this is how I think other people think about me
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

I went out yesterday and the topic of beer and alcoholic drinks came up. Since my soberness was the butt of various alcohol-related jokes I decided to try one small sip of cold pilsner beer (just a sip, I was the designated driver). The taste is awful, awful, AWFUL!. Seriously, I don't understand the appeal of beer specifically. :P   

Now, caipirinha (vodka with lemonade) is another story. :grin: 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

My fave eatery has ever changing guest ales and beers - in the past I have enjoyed chocolate and coffee flavoured ales. Some are quite sweet to my taste, but always with a little smoky bitterness at the back.

Anyone else tried these sort of "specialty" beers or ales?

PS, I love chocolate wine! :drool:
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Davin

Quote from: Magdalena on December 21, 2016, 07:20:05 PM
^^
:lol:
That's funny.
Just like this clip from It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

^^^
Oh, my Asmo! That's hilarious.  :lol:

There's always one person at the parties who...

:grin:

Davin

^^ :lol: Well, I can't dance, so all I can think of when seeing someone put so much heart into it is,

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on December 22, 2016, 06:38:02 PM
^^ :lol: Well, I can't dance, so all I can think of when seeing someone put so much heart into it is,

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Magdalena on December 22, 2016, 05:28:27 PM

There's always one person at the parties who...

:grin:

Who..... what? enjoys themselves ridiculously, giving the sanctimonious an op to look down, everyone's a winner.

5th July 1918  Lager, it's a good clean summertime beer.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Ecurb Noselrub

I like reds.  My wife likes stouts. 

Anne D.

Quote from: Dave on December 22, 2016, 10:43:00 AM
My fave eatery has ever changing guest ales and beers - in the past I have enjoyed chocolate and coffee flavoured ales. Some are quite sweet to my taste, but always with a little smoky bitterness at the back.

Anyone else tried these sort of "specialty" beers or ales?

PS, I love chocolate wine! :drool:

My husband had a pepper-infused chocolate ale one time. It was . . . not refreshing.

I really like IPAs, but wish it was easier to find a flavorful low-ABV one. It's no fun to have two beers and already be trashed. When we went to London a couple years ago, I noticed there were a bunch of super-low-ABV IPAs available there, but they also tasted nothing like our super-hoppy American IPAs.

Love the It's Always Sunny video  ;D

Dark Lightning

I'm currently enjoying a Sam Adams Boston Lager. I've been looking for a Double Bastard Ale by Stone Brewing Co; it's the season for it. It's about 11% ABV, so it's one drink for the evening when I have one. I like their Arrogant Bastard Ale as well. I can't take their Ruination Ale (though the name is just too cool!) because the astringent aftertaste reminds me of soap.