News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Talking to myself . . .

Started by Dave, July 04, 2016, 07:38:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: Dragonia on January 29, 2018, 03:10:16 PM
Mags, those weight charts are stupid. Don't listen to them. They don't know you. You're practically perfect!

But really, the weight charts can't be accurate, since they can't see your muscles. They said my husband was almost obese, which is hilarious because he's so built and fit, we had to laugh.

Lets eat some ice cream, it'll make you feel better!
:rofl:
Yes, let's eat some ice cream!
You're so sweet.  :daisies:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on January 29, 2018, 07:22:14 PM
BMI was developed to compare populations and was never intendedas a scale for individuals.
~Good to know. I checked because I was curious, and curiosity told the cat, "You're fat!"  ;D

Like Dragonia said: "Those weight charts are stupid."  :grin:
People all over the word have different diets. Some of us eat what we can afford, not what we should or would like to. :-\

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on January 29, 2018, 07:42:24 PM
People all over the word have different diets. Some of us eat what we can afford, not what we should or would like to. :-\

This is too true. Around here at least, sugary, high-carb foods are cheapest. Fruit, some veggies and meat are relatively expensive. I'm assuming it's the same in the States?

Not to mention, who on Earth literally drools over an asparagus?  :grin:

Now pizza, that's somethin'. :yum: And ice-cream, and chocolate, and hamburgers...

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on January 29, 2018, 10:31:43 PM

This is too true. Around here at least, sugary, high-carb foods are cheapest. Fruit, some veggies and meat are relatively expensive. I'm assuming it's the same in the States?

Now pizza, that's somethin'. :yum: And ice-cream, and chocolate, and hamburgers...
;D

I think it's the same.
I would like to buy more things like, avocados, olive oil, nuts, fruit, etc, but it's expensive. Pork is cheap, but high in saturated fat. One whole chicken is @ $9.00. You can find it cheaper, but you have to finish removing the feathers, and I'm not a big fan of salmonella. Artificial juices loaded with sugar are much cheaper than natural juices, but who wants that?

It's not that we don't know about nutrition, or diseases associated with a bad diet, but if you have $3.00 what are you gonna buy, a pound of chorizo, or lettuce and tomatoes?

~It sucks.

Dragonia

You're so correct, and it's terribly frustrating. Bad-for-you food and drinks are so much cheaper. And, having 3 hungry men eating in my family, I've got to do what I've got to do to fill my eating machines up.
Before race weekends, I've tried to buy healthy, whole foods, y'know, for lasting energy, but it's SO expensive, even for a few days. I HATE it.
(Oh, and by the way, I drool over asparagus!  :tellmemore:)
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dragonia on January 30, 2018, 02:06:10 PM
(Oh, and by the way, I drool over asparagus!  :tellmemore:)

Really?  :bigspecs:

Sure you're not confusing the word with 'pizza'? ;D

Dave

I love asparagus as well! Cooked gently, smothered in butter and fresh ground black pepper, eaten with buttery, creamy mash spud with garlic in it, tiny, tender steamed carrots and salmon pan cooked in olive oil then wiped and finished in Tewkesbury mustard!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on January 31, 2018, 07:41:59 PM
I love asparagus as well! Cooked gently, smothered in butter and fresh ground black pepper, eaten with buttery, creamy mash spud with garlic in it, tiny, tender steamed carrots and salmon pan cooked in olive oil then wiped and finished in Tewkesbury mustard!

:headshake:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Essie Mae

You had me until the mustard over the salmon. Doesn't the mustard smother the salmon flavour?
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Dave

Quote from: Essie Mae on February 04, 2018, 10:45:03 PM

You had me until the mustard over the salmon. Doesn't the mustard smother the salmon flavour?

Depends a bit on the mustard but, basically, mustard loses its strength in cooking. Tewkesbury mustard is actually a, relatively, mild, yellow English mustard mixed with very finely ground horseradish, and a little honey with some recipes. Sounds terrible but it was my favourite until the original company disappeared. Most current recipes are too sweet for my taste, too much honey.

Dilute the mustard 50:50 with water and, a couple or three minutes before you think the salmon is cooked in the pan wipe out as much oil as you can, add the mustard and keep turning the salmon in it until it begins to thicken and stick. It is only a quick "sauté" and the mustard does not penetrate far into the meat.The taste of the salmon remains as a counterpoint to the mustard. Serve straight away.

Might work with Dijon mustard with less water. Might work with beef minute steak or gammon steak or . . .  Could add some garlic . . .

Damn, I'm hungry again!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bluenose

Me! Me! Me!  I just LOVE asparagus.  Secret indulgence:  Make a small  pot of melted garlic butter, sprinkle it with fresh ground black pepper and dip you lightly steamed asparagus stalks in it and YUMMMO!  ;D ;D ;D
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

Dragonia

Those sound like fabulous ways to eat asparagus, and I would eat it cooked any way (I think even raw is good, dipped in something). What I always do is sauté it for a bit in olive oil, salt and pepper, and a bunch of freshly crushed garlic. My whole family devours it.
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Essie Mae

Quote from: Dave on February 04, 2018, 11:36:08 PM
Quote from: Essie Mae on February 04, 2018, 10:45:03 PM

Depends a bit on the mustard but, basically, mustard loses its strength in cooking. Tewkesbury mustard is actually a, relatively, mild, yellow English mustard mixed with very finely ground horseradish, and a little honey with some recipes. Sounds terrible but it was my favourite until the original company disappeared. Most current recipes are too sweet for my taste, too much honey.

Dilute the mustard 50:50 with water and, a couple or three minutes before you think the salmon is cooked in the pan wipe out as much oil as you can, add the mustard and keep turning the salmon in it until it begins to thicken and stick. It is only a quick "sauté" and the mustard does not penetrate far into the meat.The taste of the salmon remains as a counterpoint to the mustard. Serve straight away.

Might work with Dijon mustard with less water. Might work with beef minute steak or gammon steak or . . .  Could add some garlic . . .

Damn, I'm hungry again!

Now you put it like that .......I'm on my way.

Essie Mae

Oh and can Dragonia and Bluenose come too with their asparagus?

Sandra Craft

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany