Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

But that man's voice ! ! !

:o Made me want to stick my head in a gas oven!

Only a mother could love that voice.
Well, it doesn't really matter that the photos are all jumbled up because my experiment with the maximum f-stop was a miserable failure. Turns out, f/40 isn't very good for taking clear photos...

One can learn a lot from failed experiments, so please give us more details and we will all chip in with some suggestions. My motives are a bit selfish; I hope to learn from your experiments as well.

By f/40, I assume you mean f/4? It is possible to take clear photos at all f stops, so it was probably just a focusing problem. The wider the f-stop, the smaller the depth of field, so precise focusing becomes critically important.

No, the aperture was set to f/40! Shutter speed was 1/2 a second which I think was where my problem arose. Of the ospreys are out this morning I'll crank it down to f/22 and gradually ruse from there. My experiment was with the hyperfocal distance focusing. From what I had been reading the higher the f-stop the better so I went really, really high!

Wow, none of my lenses has a stop smaller than f22. F40 is really very small. Which lens is that?

This one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00005Y3OM?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

But I'm thinking that the "limited compatibility" this lens has with my camera might be doing some wonky stuff. And there's supposed to be a dial or something to manually adjust the aperture that I can't find now that I'm looking for it! Could be a bad description.

That's odd, because according to Nikon, the minimum aperture is f/32.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/camera-lenses/af-zoom-nikkor-70-300mm-f%252f4-5.6g.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-TechSpecs

If the camera shows f/40, then there must be some incompatibility problem.
Media / Re: What are you watching?
« Last post by jumbojak on Today at 03:53:12 AM »
I'm watching Santa Shark. Yes, it's as stupid as the title sounds. Shark in a frigging Santa hat terrorizes a waterfront community after being brought to life by a magic pen.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: Things that make you chuckle
« Last post by jumbojak on Today at 02:36:11 AM »
I got a good laugh out of this one but it's keeping me up at night. How in the hell did they manage it?!

I mean, they didn't roll it over because rolling a bulldozer would leave something crushed. The undercarriage is in good shape, the cab looks like new, and the tracks are on one piece. ???
Laid Back Lounge / Re: A Word for the Day
« Last post by Bluenose on Today at 02:08:37 AM »
That cup pretty well summarises most of the things people write that really bug me.
« Last post by Bluenose on Today at 02:03:59 AM »
Ha, Icarus, I get what you mean by the deep growl.  Many years ago a friend of mine had a very large German shepherd named Carl.  When anyone came to the door he would bark and growl with a sound that started about 30 feet underground.  The thing was, although he sounded absolutely ferocious, if you simply said "Aww, what's the matter Carl?" he would turn into a little puppy dog wagging his tail!  LOL
Laid Back Lounge / Re: A Word for the Day
« Last post by Icarus on Today at 12:40:25 AM »
^ not a suitable cup for church groups or mixed company of the gentile variety.   :faints:

(I would like one of those cups, alas. )
« Last post by Icarus on Today at 12:33:22 AM »
Bluenose; I agree that dogs are generally good at assessing the intent of the stranger.  My big Irish setter, Molly, was the sweetest girl n town  but when I was approached by a stranger that Molly did not like she curled her lips back and got herself between me and the stranger. .  I learned that she was almost always right.  My Bernese, Teddy,  was equally shrewd about such things,  He too was a gentle sweetheart but became dangerous if he thought that there was any threat to me.  I often worked alone, except for Teddy, late in my machine shop that was in a seedy area of town.  I never needed the shotgun that was nearby. When a ninety pound canine  makes a growling sound like distant thunder.......few dared to challenge him. 
« Last post by Bluenose on August 14, 2018, 11:17:30 PM »
I don't have any dogs these days, although I live with a dog and two cats at my son's home.  Generally, I have found the dogs I have had in the past were good judges of the character of the people I've met when out for a walk.  If the dog didn't like them I usually found I didn't either.  The dog I live with these days - Rogue, a black cocker spaniel - not so much.  She loves everybody! LOL
Religion / Re: Things you find on Facebook
« Last post by Bluenose on August 14, 2018, 11:10:42 PM »
Butt hurt Muslim on Facebook!

You know, this is the sort of thing that really bugs me about religious types.  The idea that one cannot criticise anything about their favourite collection of ancient folk tales.  I'm sorry, but if someone in your holy book is a misogynistic paedophile, I'm going to call him a misogynistic paedophile.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10