Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Science / Re: Women in science and technology
« Last post by Dave on Today at 10:04:30 PM »
An amazing woman with an amazing career in earth science who now lives in a mud hut near the Masaii Mara as the chief's wife, erm, by accident.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0000t5z
Years ago I did a transcript of his "New Atheism" lecture--it can be seen here. I'm not sure whether you have to be a member of the site to view it. If so, there's a different transcript from a version of the same lecture from five years earlier: Transcript, John Gray: Theos/LICC lecture on "The New Atheism", 2008. Note that I'm not recommending anybody put the time into reading either one, but if you're really curious. . .

I've posted about Gray's hobby-horse here before but it seems like those posts were lost in the database problems when we transferred to new forum software.
Red and green, also in Quebec.

An example of complementary colours I took in a market in Quebec.

Snipped for future reference and possible ongoing discussion :

I like how the purple came through in the second one.

Thanks. That's a very effective trick to juxtapose complementary colours. It's what makes the red tractor stand out so well against the green grass in your second photo (red and green are opposites on the colour wheel). Sorry, I always tend to over-analyze things.

I'll have to keep the color wheel in mind. I had never thought about colors in that way. I might print one out and slap it on the toolbox, so it sinks in over time.

It's very useful. It comes naturally to me from my painting days. An easy way to get the complementary of any colour is to stare at it for 60 seconds, then quickly look at a sheet of white paper. The after-image you see will be the complementary colour on the wheel. Example: you will see an orange after-image after staring at a blue object. So, to make blue pop, paint an orange area next to it.
John Gray has been peddling his atheism spiel for well over a decade (dining out on his sneering depiction of the so-called New Atheists, comparing them unfavorably to other atheists, quasi atheists or religious people that he prefers) and the description of his new book makes it sound like he's still covering basically the same ground. The book by Moore and Kramnick sounds more interesting.

Never heard of Gray before, and I'll admit when I saw the name I first thought of that men/Mars, women/Venus guy.  I have to assume this is not him.
John Gray has been peddling his atheism spiel for well over a decade (dining out on his sneering depiction of the so-called New Atheists, comparing them unfavorably to other atheists, quasi atheists or religious people that he prefers) and the description of his new book makes it sound like he's still covering basically the same ground. The book by Moore and Kramnick sounds more interesting.
Laid Back Lounge / Re: What's on your mind today?
« Last post by xSilverPhinx on October 22, 2018, 11:54:15 PM »
At that point, paint your eyelids to look like your eyeballs and prop your head on your hand. Snooze attentively.

And creep people out? :lol:

I know what needs to be done.

Laid Back Lounge / Re: Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread
« Last post by xSilverPhinx on October 22, 2018, 11:44:45 PM »
I'm halfway through a four-hour wait in a building that doesn't seem to have one comfortable chair. I would go into the library but one gets angry glares and frowns if one utters a word.  ::)

:-X
Are you with someone or do you talk to yourself?

With someone. If I was alone I have no problem keeping my mouth shut, heheh. :grin:
Laid Back Lounge / Re: What's on your mind today?
« Last post by jumbojak on October 22, 2018, 11:44:18 PM »
I have got to be the biggest screw up on two continents. It looks like I'm buying the water heater I was trying to fix. Probably destroyed the damn thing. Fuck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10