News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

Jesus is not God

Started by Ricardo, October 05, 2019, 08:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ricardo

My theistic friends told me that I have to believe in God! do you know why ?
why Jesus believed in God! that the mistake of atheists is to think that Jesus and God are the same thing! and that Jesus was an envoy of God :chin:

Recusant

Would your theistic friends be Jehovah's Witnesses by any chance?
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ricardo

Quote from: Recusant on October 05, 2019, 08:51:11 PM
not ! they claim that atheists confuse Jesus with God. what do you think about it?

Recusant

Quote from: Ricardo on October 05, 2019, 09:51:34 PM
not ! they claim that atheists confuse Jesus with God. what do you think about it?

I think you are perfectly well aware that the vast majority of Christians believe that Jesus is the Christian god, correct?

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Recusant on October 05, 2019, 10:33:39 PM

I think you are perfectly well aware that the vast majority of Christians believe that Jesus is the Christian god, correct?

That's certainly what I was taught in about half the Xtian churches my mother took me to as a kid.  The other half said they were two separate beings.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Recusant

Quote from: Sandra Craft on October 05, 2019, 11:57:11 PM
Quote from: Recusant on October 05, 2019, 10:33:39 PMI think you are perfectly well aware that the vast majority of Christians believe that Jesus is the Christian god, correct?

That's certainly what I was taught in about half the Xtian churches my mother took me to as a kid.  The other half said they were two separate beings.

That's somewhat ambiguous. Are you saying that half of the churches claimed that Jesus is not the Christian god?
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ricardo on October 05, 2019, 08:19:49 PM
My theistic friends told me that I have to believe in God! do you know why ?
why Jesus believed in God! that the mistake of atheists is to think that Jesus and God are the same thing! and that Jesus was an envoy of God :chin:

I think this whole thing is immaterial.  There are people who make the argument that Jesus himself did not exist, either as an envoy or an embodiment.  If Jesus did exist there's no evidence, and therefore no reason to believe, that he had any kind of special knowledge and certainly no reason to believe merely on his word that the supernatural existed at all. 

This has always been my problem with claims for the supernatural -- all we have to go on for it is other peoples opinions, and that's just not impressive.
Sandy

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Recusant on October 06, 2019, 12:12:19 AM
Quote from: Recusant on October 05, 2019, 10:33:39 PMI think you are perfectly well aware that the vast majority of Christians believe that Jesus is the Christian god, correct?

That's somewhat ambiguous. Are you saying that half of the churches claimed that Jesus is not the Christian god?

That's right.  He was the son of god, but not god himself.  They'd get very heated about people who claimed that the Son was also the Father.
Sandy

Ricardo

Quote from: Recusant on October 05, 2019, 10:33:39 PM

Jesus in the New Testament just stated that He was a messenger of God!

Ecurb Noselrub

Well, if you take the message of the whole NT, it's pretty clear that Jesus, as the incarnation of the Logos, is one of the three persons of the Godhead, and, therefore, God, in the vast majority of Christian theologies.

Recusant

Quote from: Ricardo on October 06, 2019, 12:51:40 AM
Jesus in the New Testament just stated that He was a messenger of God!

I'm not asking for your interpretation of the New Testament. I'm asking if you're aware of the fact that the vast majority of Christians believe that Jesus is their god. Can you honestly answer my question?
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

Quote from: Sandra Craft on October 06, 2019, 12:24:15 AM

That's right.  He was the son of god, but not god himself.  They'd get very heated about people who claimed that the Son was also the Father.

Interesting. It would seem that your mother had a taste for nontrinitarian churches. Nonetheless, the majority of Christians (and Christian denominations) are trinitarian and have been for a very long time.
— H. L. Mencken

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Recusant on October 06, 2019, 08:26:36 AM
Quote from: Sandra Craft on October 06, 2019, 12:24:15 AM

Interesting. It would seem that your mother had a taste for nontrinitarian churches. Nonetheless, the majority of Christians (and Christian denominations) are trinitarian and have been for a very long time.

Yeah, and she went to those churches too.  I think she just went to whatever church was closest, which turned out to involve quite a variety of different doctrines.
Sandy

Ricardo

Jesus Christ was not Atheist, theists claim!

Red_Cloud

Quote from: Ricardo on October 07, 2019, 02:03:37 PM
Jesus Christ was not Atheist, theists claim!

What?  :f you:

(P.S.) Dear Mr.Recusant:- I thought that smiley was just a nice waving smiley. I didn't notice the upended digit. Could you remove it immediately please. And am I now banned? . . . Oh dear! :shocked: