News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

... And you can SPELL!

Started by Promethium147, December 22, 2007, 07:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Promethium147

In my avid browsing of the many religious sites and forums available, you have all here demonstrated, far and away, the the highest rates of literacy.

Also - courtesy. Far, far and away.

There further seems to lurk a definite tendency towards the autonomic exercise of Aristotelian Syllogistic Logic. Bully!

So I have come to play, too. Golly, I'm lonely for Good Conversation at times - fortunately, my 22yr. old college student is still here, and pounds me with Astrophysical and Philosophical query, the brilliant highlight of my days.

I'm militant in my atheism, simply because I believe it so, that the cultural alternatives are massively destructive, and - for good reason, I think - I fall very low on the fearfulness index.

I am late of Tulsa, living not far from Oral Roberts U. (if such it can be called.) I thought the intellectual atmosphere untenably sparse and exceptionally toxic, and moved to the CA coast - and now find myself completely surrounded by Baptists, Pentecostalists, Calvinists, and worse - now they are additionally confused by New Age Nitwittery. They rave in the street, unopposed.

Oh, and Catholics lurk of course, but I'm not noticing - they are stealthier.

I think I will invest in a Houseboat - with 16 inch guns.

Then again - a laptop is awfully cheap.

Tricky_Niki

So many big words I'm going to need a dictionary.
Welcome to the boards. The big guns would be useful in taking care of the lurking catholics
Freethought and Toasters have never killed anyone.
Everything you need to know about life can be learned from Toasters.

Promethium147

Now that I think of it, Catholics are concentrated; they are of course the overwhelming majority, their Parishes and Churches much larger, and their Sunday attendance is clearly superior.

Highly susceptible to the concentrated fire of a Sunday morning!

Freethinking has killed many a man - largely, the man himself, a designated target.

myleviathan

Hi, Promethium147 - I am originally from Tulsa, OK, and named for a late Baptist preacher there. I now reside in sunny SW Florida, where I am surrounded by new wave baptists, nutty penticostals, and catholic retirees from New York! You know it's like a zombie movie. Coast to coast we the few are surrounded by them.

Welcome to a refuge!
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

Tricky_Niki

Freethought may have killed but never when combined with toasters
Freethought and Toasters have never killed anyone.
Everything you need to know about life can be learned from Toasters.

Whitney

Welcome to the forum, Prom.  My husband is from Tulsa.  When we lived in Stillwater I searched for freethought groups and found that Tulsa has a pretty decently sized Atheist meetup group in place.  It was either called Oklahoma Atheists (who also have an OKC group) or Tulsa atheists.  I never made to one of them since I didn't have the time to make the drive while in school.  However, you may find them enjoyable.

Will

I should like to embark on a houseboat featuring 16 inch guns for the sheer entertainment factor. I hear that Keystone National Park is quite beautiful, and touring it's shores on the "USS Dawkins" would be a hoot.

Welcome and salutations, my syntax-ing stranger.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

MommaSquid

Welcome to the forum, Promethium.  I am a gun-toting atheist (and so is my hubby).  I hope you enjoy your stay here.

McQ

Welcome to the forum, Promethium147. Although we don't take away points for spelling or grammar here, it's nice to know we are keeping literacy alive and well.  :D

Thanks for the introduction.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

SteveS

Hi Promethium - Welcome to the board!

tacoma_kyle

Haha I love the title. Thanks for the compliment on literacy!

Welcome...
Me, my projects and random pictures, haha.

http://s116.photobucket.com/albums/o22/tacoma_kyle/

"Tom you gotta come out of the closet, oh my gawd!" lol

BleedingOrchid

I love the intro...you seem like quite a clever chap! Do you live in Oklahoma or Cali now, Prom? I'm in NC myself...never at a loss for churches...EVERYWHERE! LOL
Here we are
Upon your stage
The love we share
The dreams we'll save
They're bleeding the orchid...~Smashing Pumpkins

Promethium147

I'm in San Diego. Here's a clue about this city I like very much.

A car is not only unnecessary, it's sheer madness. This must be one of the finest public transportation systems anywhere.

I gave it up, so I might encourage my son to do so - and quit wrapping my z-cars around light poles. The cars were shit - but scratch my Beautiful Baldur, and I would simply die.

Ha! it worked - he's a figgurer, and he figgured it, agrees, and No Car just gets better all the time.

HOHO, and now I get dates with the hippie chicks - I'm very Earth Friendly HOHO!

Gibson

Glad to meet another person that appreciates good English usage.  The other site I frequent (the forum of Sam Harris) is decent, but I've actually been able to squash angry Christian diatribe by pointing out all the errors.  Just hard to sound credible if you use words when you don't know the meaning or spelling.

I'm in Atlanta - in the buckle of the Bible Belt.  I'm a recovering Catholic, and am surrounded by every denomination you can imagine.  It is a great comfort to find respite in this site, and I hope you enjoy yourself as well.  Welcome.
Anyone who can worship a trinity and insist that his religion is a monotheism can believe anything ... just give him time to rationalize it.
-- Robert A Heinlein, from Job: A Comedy of Justice

Promethium147

RECOVERING Catholic? But why do you want to RETURN to that State of Being? Well - it does keep the Halfway House in business, I suppose -

Oh Man, so obviously Children of an Angry God, those ChristBiters!

I actually saw a Catholic BISHOP - I assume an Education there - give a long, vigorous sermon - Proving - Skeptics do not exist.

And so, I will consider you to be Out of the "Loop(s)."

----------------------------
Time Flies like an Arrow - but Fruit Flies like a Banana.