Main Menu

'Allo

Started by Unlinked, April 03, 2012, 09:50:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Quote from: Amicale on April 06, 2012, 07:30:53 PM
Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on April 06, 2012, 06:08:19 PM
Quote from: Unlinked on April 03, 2012, 09:50:20 PM
Hello, all. I am a card-carrying English ninja who likes to pretend to be some kind of halfway decent storyteller. I grew up atheist with a very supportive christian family--a lucky thing, judging by the stories I've seen on this site--and a tight circle of friends who all eventually turned to the dark side with me. My hobbies include drawing (poorly), singing (semi-decently), and writing (also poorly). I decided to join this forum because I like belonging to some kind of large group, and most of the clubs that offer that sort of thing at my school are heavily Christianity-centered. I am fond of proofreading and editing any kind of text and will do so gladly if anyone asks.

Have a good day >w<

--Unlinked
Hello and welcome.  I too had a pretty supportive Christian family.  I even managed to convert some Cousins, and when my mom said that I had a problem I started quoting things from the bible she just asked it really says that? Yeah ma you should probably try reading it before telling me I have a problem  ::)

Robert, it was the same for me. When I started talking about my views, my mom was still clinging to her beliefs and ideas, which was cool to me.. but she was saying stuff like yours was saying. So I started quoting the Bible, and same thing happened -- she asked 'It really says that? Where does it say that??' and when I was able to give her chapter and verse and she realized that stuff was in there, she stopped defending it. What you don't know CAN hurt you.
Yep the exact same thing happened to me.  She is still christian and a couple times she even said wait I thought you were beleived in some god still.  Nope haven't for 2 years.  Then she just pretty much leaves it alone.  Sometimes I will quote the bible still and she just kind of goes with it without saying anything bc she knows that what I am saying is ridiculous and is in the bible. 
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Amicale

Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on April 06, 2012, 07:41:35 PM
Hello, all. I am a card-carrying English ninja who likes to pretend to be some kind of halfway decent storyteller. I grew up atheist with a very supportive christian family--a lucky thing, judging by the stories I've seen on this site--and a tight circle of friends who all eventually turned to the dark side with me. My hobbies include drawing (poorly), singing (semi-decently), and writing (also poorly). I decided to join this forum because I like belonging to some kind of large group, and most of the clubs that offer that sort of thing at my school are heavily Christianity-centered. I am fond of proofreading and editing any kind of text and will do so gladly if anyone asks.

Have a good day >w<

--Unlinked
Hello and welcome.  I too had a pretty supportive Christian family.  I even managed to convert some Cousins, and when my mom said that I had a problem I started quoting things from the bible she just asked it really says that? Yeah ma you should probably try reading it before telling me I have a problem  ::)

Robert, it was the same for me. When I started talking about my views, my mom was still clinging to her beliefs and ideas, which was cool to me.. but she was saying stuff like yours was saying. So I started quoting the Bible, and same thing happened -- she asked 'It really says that? Where does it say that??' and when I was able to give her chapter and verse and she realized that stuff was in there, she stopped defending it. What you don't know CAN hurt you.
Yep the exact same thing happened to me.  She is still christian and a couple times she even said wait I thought you were beleived in some god still.  Nope haven't for 2 years.  Then she just pretty much leaves it alone.  Sometimes I will quote the bible still and she just kind of goes with it without saying anything bc she knows that what I am saying is ridiculous and is in the bible. 

My mom wavers between not believing anything in particular, and still believing in some kind of God. It just depends on the day, and her mood. I understand that for her, it's an emotional issue -- you can't undo several decades of belief very easily, and it might frighten her, wondering about what happens after this life. So I'm not pressing her on it, or forcing the issue. She knows what I believe, and she'll come to her own conclusions in her own time. The most important thing to me is that she's asking questions, wondering about things, and not just taking belief for granted anymore. I think it's a long, sometimes difficult process for a lot of people. I think it's good that your mom is prettymuch just leaving it alone. I'm sure she's thinking about it, in her own way. :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Quote from: Amicale on April 06, 2012, 07:48:50 PM
Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on April 06, 2012, 07:41:35 PM

Have a good day >w<

--Unlinked
Hello and welcome.  I too had a pretty supportive Christian family.  I even managed to convert some Cousins, and when my mom said that I had a problem I started quoting things from the bible she just asked it really says that? Yeah ma you should probably try reading it before telling me I have a problem  ::)

Yep the exact same thing happened to me.  She is still christian and a couple times she even said wait I thought you were beleived in some god still.  Nope haven't for 2 years.  Then she just pretty much leaves it alone.  Sometimes I will quote the bible still and she just kind of goes with it without saying anything bc she knows that what I am saying is ridiculous and is in the bible.  

My mom wavers between not believing anything in particular, and still believing in some kind of God. It just depends on the day, and her mood. I understand that for her, it's an emotional issue -- you can't undo several decades of belief very easily, and it might frighten her, wondering about what happens after this life. So I'm not pressing her on it, or forcing the issue. She knows what I believe, and she'll come to her own conclusions in her own time. The most important thing to me is that she's asking questions, wondering about things, and not just taking belief for granted anymore. I think it's a long, sometimes difficult process for a lot of people. I think it's good that your mom is prettymuch just leaving it alone. I'm sure she's thinking about it, in her own way. :)
Yes, my moms side is not very religious as they never EVER go to church, but they are stubborn. Her sister, my godmother, is very supportive.  We do, however, get into discussions about it. I have a lot of points I usually start off with how the age of the Earth according to the bible was only about 6 1/2 billion years off.  Pretty close. My main point for the past couple years is one I just saw in the laid back lounge: Sorry I don't believe in zombie Jesus.  That one has gotten a laugh out of her and my cousins every time  ;D  
Edit: I was wrong I saw the zombie jesus thing on facebook now that I think about it.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins