News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

I know you're not doctors...

Started by Arturo, July 15, 2017, 04:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Arturo on July 23, 2017, 06:25:09 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I believe mint and peppermint contain menthol.

QuoteDried peppermint typically has 0.3–0.4% of volatile oil containing menthol (7–48%), menthone (20–46%), menthyl acetate (3–10%), menthofuran (1–17%) and 1,8-cineol (3–6%). Peppermint oil also contains small amounts of many additional compounds including limonene, pulegone, caryophyllene and pinene.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppermint

And

QuoteMenthol is an organic compound made synthetically or obtained from corn mint, peppermint, or other mint oils. It is a waxy, crystalline substance, clear or white in colour, which is solid at room temperature and melts slightly above. The main form of menthol occurring in nature is (−)-menthol, which is assigned the (1R,2S,5R) configuration. Menthol has local anesthetic and counterirritant qualities, and it is widely used to relieve minor throat irritation. Menthol also acts as a weak kappa opioid receptor agonist.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menthol

So, it is a local anaethetic and a wesk opioid receptor antagonist. Can never remember whether an antagonist resists or admits things.  So it has very minor "drug" type effects. I am a bit intolerant to opioids, have trouble with codeine and medical morphines. The local anaesthetic probably slows down and relaxes the gut a bit, helping with IBS. My father used to almost live on extra strong mints, was never without a tube or a bag of them!
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

Quote from: Gloucester
Menthol also acts as a weak kappa opioid receptor agonist.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Κ-opioid_receptor

QuoteThe κ-opioid receptor (KOR) is a protein that in humans is encoded by the OPRK1 gene. The KOR is one of four related receptors that bind opioid-like compounds in the brain and are responsible for mediating the effects of these compounds. These effects include altering nociception, consciousness, motor control, and mood.

QuoteNociception (also nocioception or nociperception, from Latin nocere 'to harm or hurt') is the sensory nervous system's response to certain harmful or potentially harmful stimuli. In nociception, intense chemical (e.g., chili powder in the eyes), mechanical (e.g., cutting, crushing), or thermal (heat and cold) stimulation of sensory nerve cells called nociceptors produces a signal that travels along a chain of nerve fibers via the spinal cord to the brain.[1] Nociception triggers a variety of physiological and behavioral responses and usually results in a subjective experience of pain in sentient beings.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nociception

I can see it having some withdrawl effects. Things seem worse than they are after taking for extended periods. Plus peppermint makes you sleepy so this could explain what you are going through.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

OMG, I'm a peppermint junkie!  :shocked:

Arturo

Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

Quote from: Gloucester on July 23, 2017, 09:23:21 PM
Hey, Gloucester, give me some.

We could smoke dried peppermint tea leaves...and see what happens to our brains.  :suspicious:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Arturo

Quote from: Magdalena on July 24, 2017, 12:23:46 AM

We could smoke dried peppermint tea leaves...and see what happens to our brains.  :suspicious:

You'd probably get really tired and want to take a nap for the next few days  ;)
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Magdalena

Quote from: Arturo on July 24, 2017, 01:27:54 AM

You'd probably get really tired and want to take a nap for the next few days  ;)

And...how do you know this?  :eyebrow:

:grin:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Arturo

Quote from: Magdalena on July 24, 2017, 01:50:22 AM
Quote from: Arturo on July 24, 2017, 01:27:54 AM

And...how do you know this?  :eyebrow:

:grin:

Cuz I look at things on the internet lol :DDD
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Velma

Peppermint tea?
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Dave

Next I'll be spending all my money on bottles of peppermint oil and tubs of Mentholatum to rub on and sniff in paper bags and stuff!  :whirly:

hermes2015

Quote from: Gloucester on July 24, 2017, 09:26:13 AM
Next I'll be spending all my money on bottles of peppermint oil and tubs of Mentholatum to rub on and sniff in paper bags and stuff!  :whirly:

It's always so sad when that happens. Sitting in the street, depending on the kindness of strangers.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Claireliontamer

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 24, 2017, 10:25:16 AM
Quote from: Gloucester on July 24, 2017, 09:26:13 AM

It's always so sad when that happens. Sitting in the street, depending on the kindness of strangers.

Yeah, I can see it now, sitting there muttering, "Spare an extra-strong mint, guv. Only the one, just to keep me going, honest."  :sadnod: