News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

An essay worth your attention

Started by HoratioHB, June 26, 2006, 02:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoratioHB

Whilst wandering the net, I came upon this essay which I have yet to finish but recommend for what I have read so far. Love to hear your comments and thoughts.

http://www.truthdig.com/dig/item/200512 ... manifesto/  
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" Albert Einstein

ziffel

Ah, Sam Harris, one of my heroes. If you like that site, get his book 'The End of Faith'... considered by many atheists as required reading.

the book on Amazon:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?D2984265D

Court

It should be required reading. I wish high schools would start assigning it.

Example of the stupid stubborness of xtians (and it's kind of entertaining, so I'll share):
I was reading that at work one day (I work in a boys dorm at the front desk), becoming more and more certain of my own atheism, when this guy I work with, a preaching jackass with the intelligence of a doorknob, asked me what I was reading. First of all, I hate it when people ask that. They're just trying to interrupt you and get you to talk to them. Second, I hate him and his holier-than-thou attitude. He didn't know I don't believe in god, because I never told him, but he assumed I didn't and was constantly telling me that I was angry because I needed god in my life (no, I was angry because his physical presence is abrasive to my happiness). Anyhow, he freaked out, obviously. I, just being the bitch that I am, told him he should read it, because it would open his painfully closed mind. He said, and I quote, "I could never read that. Anyone who would write a book called End of Faith obviously has no faith." Well, no shit. My reply was, "So you refuse to challenge your faith, a faith for which you can present no solid evidence? Do you have any idea how backwards and completely unintelligent you sound, you dumbass?" (In case you haven't noticed, this boy wore me out so much I felt no need any longer to be cordial.) And he told me that he was still "getting right with god" and now was not the time for him to "test his faith." Basically, he was copping out. And using his imaginary friend as an excuse to cop out. By the way, so this doesn't get confusing, this dumbass's name is Phillip. So, another boy I work with (well, alot of them stand around while I'm working, either because I'm so damn hot or they have no lives, I'm not sure, so a bunch of boys were listening to our conversation), Kyle, told Phillip he was being stupid. (Finally, I thought, a voice of reason! I was very wrong, you will soon see.) "You should challenge your faith, Phillip," he said, "It will make it stronger."
What?
Since when? The last time I honestly challenged my faith, I'm pretty sure I turned atheist. Maybe he just meant if you're stupid.

Sigh, there's my dramatic moment for the day. That conversation still haunts my memories. Hope you enjoyed. :D
[size=92]
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of silent seas
[/size]
[size=92]
try having a little faith = stop using your brain for a while -- ziffel[/size]

Big Mac

Wow, he sounds absolutely delightful. I bet his intellectual loftiness is up there with not getting your dick (well this example doesn't apply to you) stuck in the zipper and taking out the trash.

I have friends like that and co workers (I'm a Security Guard at a construction site, easy money though rather boring) who are dead set on converting me. Except for my co-worker Anthony, who ironically is a Baptist but what I consider a liberal one. He leaves me alone and I leave him alone on religious issues and life is pretty good.

One lady told me that one day I'll see the truth but it will probably be too late. That used to irritate me but I began considering them like functioning cult members. Now I pity them for such ignorance.

And you are so damn hot, I might go this mythical place called Dallas/Fort Worth one day......trekking many moons in search of you.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Court

Quote from: "Big Mac"And you are so damn hot, I might go this mythical place called Dallas/Fort Worth one day......trekking many moons in search of you.

Well, wasn't expecting that one, lol.
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

TwistOfCain

Damnit. I wish I was in Texas. :D
Not about to see your light
But if you wanna find Hell with me
I can show you what it's like.
-Danzig, Mother

"I AM THOTH! AND I WILL NOT BE HUMBLED -- BY MAN OR GOD!"
-Thoth-Amon, The Book of Thoth

Court

lol, boys, you flatter me...
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

Big Mac

Well I could do a lot more but we live a little too far apart ;) Just kidding. It's good to see some hot atheist chicks (well of course our admin is also quite tasty looking).
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Court

Is she? I haven't seen a picture.
Don't you know? Atheists are hot bitches....
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

Whitney

Quote from: "Court"Is she? I haven't seen a picture.
Don't you know? Atheists are hot bitches....

Yup, I'm a female.  My pic is in the gallery.

Court

Well, I knew you were female. Obviously, considering how awesome you are. lol
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

Court

I must say, though, I had no idea what a forum could do for my ego.... :D
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]

Whitney

Quote from: "Court"Well, I knew you were female. Obviously, considering how awesome you are. lol.  Thanks.

Jassman

I think I just missed "Hit on Court Day"... Damn. Well next July 5th I guess...
[size=75]"You ever notice how people who believe in creationism look really unevolved?" -Bill Hicks[/size]

[size=75]I'm drowning in the fear of gods. The more I see the less I want. I was not raised

Court

Ooh, I get to have a holiday? That's incredibly exciting...I'll have to get prepared for it next year, do my best to look super-hot. lol
[size=92]
[/size]
[size=92]