News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Dr Who, all things Whovian

Started by Griffin, August 04, 2013, 08:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siz

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on March 22, 2012, 07:29:37 PM
...Which is why I thought it was so odd that no bystanders ever went, "Oh my, that police box wasn't there a second ago." Granted I have only watched about 3 episodes. But, those boxes seem antiquated by today's standards. I'm not sure how abundant they still are in the U.K., but I can't imagine many would survive in the future. So it would likely look even more out of place in certain time periods, especially if you traveled to a point in the past before they existed. I know I'm in the minority, but it just doesn't make sense.

[Whispermode] Pssst, TA. I think we gotta suspend our disbelief for this fiction thing to work [/whispermode]

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Tank

There are very few police boxes in the UK now. I think the producers/writers got around the issue by saying the TARDIS 'chameleon' circuit got stuck and that the TARDIS creates a field around itself so that people don't pay attention to it (except when it's good for the plot).
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Tank on March 22, 2012, 08:53:33 PM
There are very few police boxes in the UK now. I think the producers/writers got around the issue by saying the TARDIS 'chameleon' circuit got stuck and that the TARDIS creates a field around itself so that people don't pay attention to it (except when it's good for the plot).

Yep. And the Dr. never bothered to fix it because he thought it looked cooler that way :)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

ThinkAnarchy

Ok, cool, that will give me the basis to believe the things are actually happening.

@Scissorlegs

I typically have no problem suspending disbelief, especially if a show or book takes place in a fictional or parallel world. But when something takes place in the world we know, it bothers me when things are too unbelievable.

Thanks for clearing that up guys. I will have to give it another shot with that in mind. I will probably try and start from the beginning this time around.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Siz

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on March 22, 2012, 09:48:30 PM
Ok, cool, that will give me the basis to believe the things are actually happening.

@Scissorlegs

I typically have no problem suspending disbelief, especially if a show or book takes place in a fictional or parallel world. But when something takes place in the world we know, it bothers me when things are too unbelievable.

That's sci-Fi for ya!
Hope you can get into it.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Yodas_Apprentice

Quote from: Tank on March 22, 2012, 08:53:33 PM

The Tenth Doctor calls it as a perception filter.  On the topic of the box itself, I think its anachronism is part of the joke now.  I think the Doctor explains why it's a Police Box the best though ;)  :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3mud9mkKxs

Edit: Also, here's a mini documentary on the Police Box, narrated by none other than Colin Baker (the 6th Doctor):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3avd8xwzzCk&feature=endscreen
"I'm a madman with a box without a box!!" -Eleventh Doctor, "The Doctor's Wife"

Whitney

It was also described to have an invisibility shield in the episode where the dr dies

Yodas_Apprentice

Wondering if people have seen the trailer for Series 7 and, if so, what your thoughts are :)

Also, I had an awesome dream last night that the new Series starts with a crossover between the 11th and 8th Doctors (I think this dream was caused by a news item here: http://www.sfx.co.uk/tag/doctor-who/ - can't post the exact link because the title has spoilers, but check out the March 30 item by Jordon Farley if you don't care about spoilers ;) )

I'm actually expecting the 8th Doctor to show up in the 50th Anniversary Special in late 2013 for some reason.  Also expecting Matt Smith's Doctor to regenerate then as well (his contract at present is until the end of 2013)

Tank

Haven't seen any trailers yet.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Yodas_Apprentice

Tank

Quote from: Yodas_Apprentice on April 02, 2012, 03:20:21 AM
Here ya go :)

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2012/03/26/doctor-who-series-7-first-trailer/
Thanks. I should point out I avoid all pre-publicity of all shows/films I'm interested in. I want to see it as the director/writers/actors produced it. Not what the marketing dept have dummed it down too  ;D

I hate the episode previews in shows like Battlestar Galactica I close my eyes while they are on!

Yodas_Apprentice

Duly noted for future reference :)

Also, sweet Avatar :D

Griffin

I think he will turn out to be an excellent choice.

There were quite a lot of rumours it was him, which made me think it wasn't.

Yes, the WHO Dr is a nice twist.

Tank

Tank

This was the first companion I fell in lust with.