Main Menu

What's on your mind today?

Started by Steve Reason, August 25, 2007, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

I'm surprised the internet lasted a whole day. :jaded rimshot:

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Icarus

Across my street is huge opulent church building.  It has basketball courts and two Soccer fields that are very well kept.  It was a Baptist church for a long time but little by little it went broke because the congregation was becoming smaller. 

The church closed and a school outfit Named Geneva Schools bought the building.  Geneva is a private school that caters to the very wealthy families.  My neighbors were concerned that vehicle traffic would become a daily problem. That did not happen and we in the neighborhood are pleased..............

But wait  damned minute.  The school did not need all of that big church space and they leased part of it to an outfit that is part of the Hillsong family of churches.  Mighty preparations were made to accommodate the church. Plenty of money spent  as evidenced by the presence of construction companies and their big equipment.

Today, Sunday, was the grand opening of the Grace City church which is of the Hillsong variety.  Oh shit the auto traffic both this morning and this evening was unbelievable. Probably a thousand cars showed up.   This evening the traffic cops showed up to manage the congestion.

I had wondered who the fuck the Hillsong family is.  A search on the internet revealed that they are an international mega church outfit.  They are of the Pentecostal persuasion, their congregation is almost exclusively 20s and 30s. Their music is loud rock, hip hop, and rap. Jesus likes noise it seems. He also persuades the congregation tithe.  I would like to be a good neighbor but I do not think that I will like this new development.

So there! That's what is on my mind today. ............and thank you for allowing me to  unload my feelings.     

jumbojak

I don't think I could stand a mega church across the street. Nope. Couldn't do it.

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Asmodean

Quote from: jumbojak on February 08, 2019, 01:33:11 AM
How often do you see insulation failing of its own accord? I work on tractors from the sixties with original wiring that's dirty, but sound. Maybe there are differences in the type of jacketing used across the pond but we scavenge partial harnesses from vans and large trucks to use in repairs. I've seen house wiring from the fifties and earlier that's falling apart but that's a long time ago.
Twice on ten-fifteen year old cars. It may have been a brand weakness (two different car makers, but both German, and both may have been buying their harnesses from the same place), but me, I blame the road salt. They spray metric fucktons of the stuff on the roads in winter. Some harnesses have this greasy stuff inside, and the salt "dries it out," then plastics become brittle aaand... A car with no menner of lights in one case, and an almost-engine-bay-fire in another.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Well I am now the satisfied owner of a Kia Venga. Described on the Top Gear website as "A nice car but as exciting as a dry cracker." 4 years old, full Kia service history, one owner, 17,000 miles on the clock and still in warranty until the end of 2021. Lovely seating position and good cup holders. :D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Congrats!

I've test driven a Hyundai i20 meself, and was positively surprised. It growls and splutters without really accomplishing anything at all, which is kind-of fun, and with just the driver, the acceleration and braking are not too bad. the plastics are cheap and the seats lack lumbar support, but overall, being a cheap-ish small car... Yeah, it being what it is, I've had more fun in it than I did in a Volvo S90, it being what it is.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on February 11, 2019, 09:15:52 AM
Well I am now the satisfied owner of a Kia Venga. Described on the Top Gear website as "A nice car but as exciting as a dry cracker." 4 years old, full Kia service history, one owner, 17,000 miles on the clock and still in warranty until the end of 2021. Lovely seating position and good cup holders. :D

Congrats! Can it fit people and luggage in the back without dragging?  :snicker1:
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Asmodean

More importantly, do you have to saw people's legs off in order to fit them in the back seat, and can The Asmo have... The severed, uh... Legs? For good and valid reasons, you see.  ;D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

jumbojak

Kia makes good cars today. They were junk, utter and complete junk back in the 90s, but today vehicle quality approaches Toyota levels.

Dark Lightning

KIA used to have a pretty bad rep, but has improved immensely in recent years. My wife and one son have Souls :snicker1: and I have a Forte. All have the 100k mile/10 year warranty, since when anything breaks on these newer cars it seems like a minimum $1k fix is the usual cost. We'll drive them after the warranties expire, but one big repair outside warranty and they get punted to charity instead. Back before all the electronics, I could fix vehicles myself. Those days are over.

Tank

It can tow 1.3 tonnes braked and .7 tonne unbraked. The boot has a false floor, and spare (micro) tyre, so all the boot crap goes under the false floor, leaving the surprisingly large boot empty. Two 6ft'ers could sit in the back easily due to the high roof. You could get 3 across the back but you'd have to be good friends. 60/40 split fold down seats. It's not big but uses all the space very well.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Guardian85

Quote from: Tank on February 11, 2019, 06:10:29 PM
It can tow 1.3 tonnes braked and .7 tonne unbraked. The boot has a false floor, and spare (micro) tyre, so all the boot crap goes under the false floor, leaving the surprisingly large boot empty. Two 6ft'ers could sit in the back easily due to the high roof. You could get 3 across the back but you'd have to be good friends. 60/40 split fold down seats. It's not big but uses all the space very well.
Congrats!
I see the "dull as a dry cracker" thing, but if you look at function over form it's certainly a decent set of wheels.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

jj, how is your toe?
How are your arms doing?

Essie Mae

Quote from: Icarus on February 10, 2019, 11:43:45 PM
Across my street is huge opulent church building.  It has basketball courts and two Soccer fields that are very well kept.  It was a Baptist church for a long time but little by little it went broke because the congregation was becoming smaller. 

The church closed and a school outfit Named Geneva Schools bought the building.  Geneva is a private school that caters to the very wealthy families.  My neighbors were concerned that vehicle traffic would become a daily problem. That did not happen and we in the neighborhood are pleased..............

But wait  damned minute.  The school did not need all of that big church space and they leased part of it to an outfit that is part of the Hillsong family of churches.  Mighty preparations were made to accommodate the church. Plenty of money spent  as evidenced by the presence of construction companies and their big equipment.

Today, Sunday, was the grand opening of the Grace City church which is of the Hillsong variety.  Oh shit the auto traffic both this morning and this evening was unbelievable. Probably a thousand cars showed up.   This evening the traffic cops showed up to manage the congestion.

I had wondered who the fuck the Hillsong family is.  A search on the internet revealed that they are an international mega church outfit.  They are of the Pentecostal persuasion, their congregation is almost exclusively 20s and 30s. Their music is loud rock, hip hop, and rap. Jesus likes noise it seems. He also persuades the congregation tithe.  I would like to be a good neighbor but I do not think that I will like this new development.

So there! That's what is on my mind today. ............and thank you for allowing me to  unload my feelings.     

Bloody nightmare.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

jumbojak

Quote from: Tank on February 11, 2019, 07:56:36 PM
jj, how is your toe?
How are your arms doing?

The toe is mostly healed but causes a bit of rise on that leg during kicks. I have to work through that. My arms are holding up great now. Stronger shoulders seem to help my neck as well.