News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Where did you get your username from?

Started by xSilverPhinx, June 19, 2010, 02:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

This should be an interesting topic, I hope.

So, what does your username mean?

I myself am not creative with names, the xs are to put some balance the name on either side and give it some  symmetry. I like the word  Silver more than I like the colour, metal or any qualities associated with it, so in the username it goes. Phin or Phinx, as some see it, is a secret. It can mean different things to different people. Muahaha.  :devil:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

pinkocommie

Mine was the first 'insult' I received online, which must have been when I was about 14.  The conversation was about gay rights and the person called me a "pinko commie bastard faggot lover."  I remember thinking - if my way of thinking makes me a pinko commie bastard, I'll proudly wear that title.  Memories...    :blush:
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

philosoraptor

I'm a philosophy grad student, and I find the philosoraptor meme amusing.

"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Davin

Quote from: "philosoraptor"I'm a philosophy grad student, and I find the philosoraptor meme amusing.
Bird of prey of philosophy!

My username isn't so original, it's my name, but it means light of the Fins or some junk.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

KDbeads

KD....... KrausDesigns when I first slapped it up on the internet
beads.... most of what I made at the time involved beads

Not to be confused with the at least 2 other KDbeads out there   ;)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

Squid

My usual username is Solidsquid - the name comes from a couple of sources.  Firstly, the squid part comes from me being a former "squid" - served in the Navy and one of the slang terms for a sailor is "squid".  Secondly, the solid part was paired with the squid part as a reworking of the character name from the Metal Gear video games series Solid Snake - one of my favorite games as a teen on the old NES...oddly enough I never played any of the later games, they just didn't appeal to me.  So, I dropped the Snake part and added the squid part.

After a while of using the full solidsquid, many people just started referring to me as simply "squid" and so I just used the shortened version here.

thelittlefinch

Mine is from my first college lecture about Darwin and the finches he studied in the Galapagos.
live a good life.

i_am_i

When I joined this forum I did so rather quickly and I had no user name in mind, so I came up with I Am I at the last minute for some reason. Didn't God say that in the Bible somewhere?

It has no significance to me at all, it's just something I pulled out of the air when I signed up. My real name is J.
Call me J

Sapere aude

elliebean

I was playing a lotof Second Life at the time I signed up.... probably too much. My first avatar on SL is called Ellie Jillybean (SL residents here feel free to friend me, but identify yourself please. ^-^)

Ellie is my name, and Jillybean is, well, one of the last names I got to pick from when I started my SL account. I thought it had a nice ring to it. When I signed up on a different forum, the username Ellie was already taken, so I combined the first and last names of my SL avatar to form elliebean. Then I signed on here and used the same name so that it would be easier to remember. I forget things a lot. Anoxic brain injury. Sigh.

But anyway, call me Ellie. =)
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

hismikeness

Hismikeness... as you may guess my name is Mike. Hismikeness was a nickname from highschool. Oddly enough, I have had tremendous luck with it NOT being used in other forums and sites which require logins. So it is a good bet that anywhere you see a "hismikeness" it be me.  :headbang:
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

Tank

Nick name as a kid. And I like Tanks!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

The Black Jester

I used to write Fantasy stories as a child about a character whose pseudonym was "The Black Jester," set on an imaginary continent in an age similar to the early Renaissance. He was a well known troubadour, and secretly an amoral, political machinator for sale to the highest bidder, using his fame as access to the highest courts of the various kingdoms.  He was primarily trained not as an entertainer, but as an assassin, and in this realm assassins were skillful illusionists, thieves and chemists.

It’s also, I found out later, a pseudonym used by Jaz Coleman, lead singer/composer of my favorite band, Killing Joke (see my profile pic).  :brick:
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

The Black Jester

Quote from: "philosoraptor"I'm a philosophy grad student...

I desperately want to go back to school and study philosophy...my friends somehow don't think that's a lucrative idea for a next stage in life...I can't imagine why they would say that...
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

Recusant

I was a San Francisco bike messenger for pretty much my entire youth.  During that time I rode many different bikes; when I began, the standard style was one-speed Schwinn cruisers with huge cargo baskets on the front. By the time I retired, people were using just about any style you can imagine-- racing bikes, fixed gear, mountain bikes, and so on.  I like to think that we had something to do with inspiring the mountain bike; In the late 70s we used to take our one-speeds over the bridge to Marin and ride around in the hills for fun, and the mountain bike is said to have originated there in the early 80s. It was quite a sensation when one of us decided to build a 26 inch wheel with a geared hub and slap it in their Schwinn! Soon, that fellow had many imitators... Pretty much everyone I knew named their bike.  

So the last bike I rode for a living was the Recusant, a mountain bike, but still with the oversized cargo basket. (They make great bumpers/shock absorbers in crashes, and keep the weight off your back.  I never thought much of the messenger bags that people started using in the late 80s/early 90s.)  It was a word I'd come across in my reading of Mencken, and it seemed totally appropriate as the name of a messenger bike.  When I finally came out of the dark ages and found my way onto the internet, my main purpose for doing so was to try playing Go online. I set up an account on KGS, and it seemed natural to choose the bike's name as my handle.  I've been using it ever since.  There are other 'Recusants' online of course, but so far I'm the only one who plays Go.

A bit long-winded, but there you have it. :)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

teifuani

Mine is how I romanize the katakana version of my name (テã,£ãƒ•ã,¡ãƒ‹ãƒ¼). Technically it'd probably be either "Tifanii" or "Teifuanii," but I like the way teifuani looks better. :P