News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

COVID-19

Started by Tank, March 10, 2020, 07:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: billy rubin on March 24, 2020, 12:15:06 PM
when i lived in midland county, andrews to the north was completely dry. if you wanted beer there you had to drive to where i lived.

really you just had to get to the county line, because there was always a liquor store just over.

There are still dry counties in the Texas panhandle.

billy rubin

i didn't knw that.

when i wen to school in oklahoma, you coudn't buy liquor by thedrink. you took your bottle from th liquor store to the bar and gave it to the bartender, who wrote your name on a piece of masking tape, stuck it to the bottle and put it ona shelf.

then you could pay him all evening to pour you a drink from your bottle, until you went home.

couldnt take it with you, because you couldnt carry an open container in the car, so it had to stay behind until next time.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Ecurb Noselrub

Right now I'm in line at the grocery store for an 8:00 opening.  I got here at 7:00 and there about 30 in front of me.  Some got here at 5:30 (hope they can hold their coffee!).  Supposedly, the first 100 have a shot at getting toilet paper and paper towels. 

There are still people (mainly 30 somethings) saying this is overblown.  Older folks (hey Boomer!) are wisely saying we are all susceptible.  Youth is wasted on the young. 

billy rubin

my teenagers told me that this epidemic is known among them az tbe Boomer Doomer

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Tank

Quote from: billy rubin on March 27, 2020, 01:21:31 PM
my teenagers told me that this epidemic is known among them az tbe Boomer Doomer

:rofl:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

That is so fucked up.  :rofl:
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

billy rubin

teenagers are honest about their own points of view anyway

hermes2015

The country is under lockdown, so this is what some normally very congested roads looked like around our ghost town today.

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Icarus

a report about an analytical satellite revealed that certain areas of the world, the ones with  less traffic and human activity, were exhibiting far lower  nitrous oxides and other atmospheric nasties than were present just a few days prior.

Sandra Craft

Just a little something so we can laugh thru our tears:

Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dark Lightning

One of my sons works at an "essential" big box hardware store and came home sick as a dog less than half way through his work day. I really hope he does't have the coronavirus, since I'm 67 YO and in the higher death-rate demographic.  >:(

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on March 28, 2020, 02:47:12 AM
One of my sons works at an "essential" big box hardware store and came home sick as a dog less than half way through his work day. I really hope he does't have the coronavirus, since I'm 67 YO and in the higher death-rate demographic.  >:(

Keep us posted.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

:lol: That is so evil!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dark Lightning on March 28, 2020, 02:47:12 AM

Yes, keep us posted!

xSilverPhinx

A thought just occurred to me...if COVID-19 can cause inflammation in the lungs which then leads to decreased oxygen-carbon dioxide exchange then if someone has a biological tendency for inflammation, does that also put them in the high-risk group?

I haven't seen anything related to chronic inflammatory diseases outside the lungs and coronavirus yet. 

My mother, for instance. She doesn't suffer from chronic diseases such as diabetes or hypertension, and she isn't 60 years old yet (though almost there, she'll be 59 this year) but she does feel pain in her joints and frequently has to take anti-inflammatory shots for the pain. I don't know if there is a link between inflammation in general and a higher probability of having more severe symptoms if infected with COVID-19.  :-\