News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

COVID-19

Started by Tank, March 10, 2020, 07:43:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

My mother is worried about her elderly parents living in in the city of São Paulo (over 12 million residents), which is currently the epicenter in Brazil. They're both over 85 years old and suffer from chronic diseases, which puts them in the high risk group many times over.

My grandfather still insists on leaving the house every now and then, endangering himself and my grandmother.

So...my mother asked me to drive with her 1,100 km north to pick them up and bring them back to Porto Alegre, where we currently live. We would've left this morning but my grandfather told her not to bother, he hates the south and would rather die in São Paulo. My submissive grandmother has no say in what happens in her life so she's stuck with my abusive grandfather.

Now my mother's upset and worried about her mother, who she can't help.

:picard facepalm:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

jumbojak

I would already be on the road to take her away from that house.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Recusant

Quote from: billy rubin on March 22, 2020, 09:27:28 AM
okay

maybe im just dumb. i finally figured ^^^that out without asking my teenagerz for help.

but this next one myztifiez me:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/21/politics/army-coronavirus-social-post/index.html

can someone explain the faux pas to me?

or is it horrifyi gly obvious and i should juzt go to classes in remedial humanity?

I don't think it's obvious. In my opinion the CNN reporter failed to give enough context to understand the situation. I went to a military-oriented site, which gave a more explicit description. It was a flippant response to the question "Why did a man eat a bat?"

The chiming in by Representative Duckworth claiming that the post was an example of racism seems off base to me, but maybe I'm lacking in the proper perception.

The article I linked gives me the impression that though that post gained attention, it was the overall flippancy of the responses that got the person responsible relieved from that position.

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tom62

Our "beloved" leader of the free world has to go into quarantine.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

billy rubin

Quote from: Recusant on March 22, 2020, 08:06:10 PM

I don't think it's obvious. In my opinion the CNN reporter failed to give enough context to understand the situation. I went to a military-oriented site, which gave a more explicit description. It was a flippant response to the question "Why did a man eat a bat?"

The chiming in by Representative Duckworth claiming that the post was an example of racism seems off base to me, but maybe I'm lacking in the proper perception.

The article I linked gives me the impression that though that post gained attention, it was the overall flippancy of the responses that got the person responsible relieved from that position.

ahh

flip i guess it was.

but the question wasn't very sharp, i think. people eat bats in various places for the same reasons people eat anything-- they consider them food. anything is edible to somebody, and chinese cultures, especially cantonese, eat just about everything, in my experience.

as for tammy, i don't see any racism. she and i went to the same secondary school in singapore (different years), and she's ethniocally chinese, so she ought to be as aware of that as i am.

the story as i understand it was that the disease was traced to wild-game food market in wuhan. that's the sort of place a lot of diseases get transmitted.

set the function, not the mechanism.

billy rubin

on  lighter note, the governor of my state put  us all into lockdown, effective midnight tomorrow.

stay at home, unless there is an essential function that you need to pewrform. buying dog food, helpnig your neighbor, delivering groceries to grandmother, and stuff like that is okay.

going to the beach (we have a beach to the north, i guess), reclining in the park, attending a sporting event or dinner function are verboten, he says.

the health department and police have the authority to chastise you, but he says that's not the plan so far.

in my case the point is moot, as i belong to a protected class because i work in the oil fields. my typical 50 to 60-hour work weeks will continue. maybe increwase, too, because the day care centers will close and some other drivers will have to stay hoime with their kids.

set the function, not the mechanism.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: jumbojak on March 22, 2020, 05:39:57 PM
I would already be on the road to take her away from that house.

She won't leave him.

Recusant

You're describing a truly poignant aspect of the current pandemic, xSilverPhinx:sadnod:

My attempt at a positive view of COVID-19 is that it might be a serious wake-up notification to Homo sapiens regarding our collective hygiene. I think that this bug is by no means the last that will appear as we barge around on this planet, and it shows the direction that things might go.

Here we have a virus with a nice long incubation period during which no symptoms appear, and in fact some infected will show few if any symptoms at all. That's a situation in which the virus can infect a high percentage of the population over a period of a couple of months, if there is no change in protocols of behavior. If the virus were somewhat more lethal than COVID-19 (not too lethal too quickly, of course) and the government in the outbreak locale was as incompetent as the Chinese were, we'd be seeing a more impressive winnowing right now, I think.

I used the term incompetent because that's how the title of the article sums it up. It is of course much more complicated and damning than that. The Communist Party showed some of the same verve for catastrophic dissembling and denial of reality as it did so abundantly during the Great Leap Forward.

Perhaps we (definitely including China) will learn a lesson that will serve us well in the future. Perhaps not.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Ecurb Noselrub

Hello from Texas.  Dallas County just ordered "shelter in place", and I suspect many other Texas counties/cities will be doing the same soon.  I am working from home, and it's a challenge.  In my town in Central Texas, it's hard to get any paper products or sanitizer.  But Wal-Mart is going to open on Tuesdays just for seniors (I qualify) at 6:00 am to 7:00 am.  I plan to be there at 5:30 am to get in line, with mask in place.  One thing I've learned:  plagues are boring. 

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on March 23, 2020, 11:42:50 AM
Hello from Texas.  Dallas County just ordered "shelter in place", and I suspect many other Texas counties/cities will be doing the same soon.  I am working from home, and it's a challenge.  In my town in Central Texas, it's hard to get any paper products or sanitizer.  But Wal-Mart is going to open on Tuesdays just for seniors (I qualify) at 6:00 am to 7:00 am.  I plan to be there at 5:30 am to get in line, with mask in place.  One thing I've learned:  plagues are boring.

Good to hear you're all right.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

:wave hi:

Magdalena

Hi, Bruce,  :computerwave:
Good to know you're OK.

They're not that boring if you have 2 kids at home --who should be in school.  :fingertap:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

joeactor

I recorded this parody at Tank's request (so you can blame him ;-) )

http://www.joesdump.com/audio/EffectiveSocialDistancing_JoesDump.mp3

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

Too funny, Joe! :lol: ...and to the point!