News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Sri Lanka explosions: 137 killed as churches and hotels targeted

Started by Tank, April 21, 2019, 09:23:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

QuoteAt least 137 people have been killed and hundreds more injured in explosions at churches and hotels in Sri Lanka, police and hospital sources say.

At least six explosions were reported. Three churches in Negombo, Batticaloa and Colombo's Kochchikade district were targeted during Easter services.

The Shangri-La, Cinnamon Grand and Kingsbury hotels, all in Colombo, were also hit.

Yet another example of 'My myth is better than your myth. And so I'll kill you.'

I mean seriously  :'(
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Tank on April 21, 2019, 09:23:39 AM

QuoteAt least 137 people have been killed and hundreds more injured in explosions at churches and hotels in Sri Lanka, police and hospital sources say.

At least six explosions were reported. Three churches in Negombo, Batticaloa and Colombo's Kochchikade district were targeted during Easter services.

The Shangri-La, Cinnamon Grand and Kingsbury hotels, all in Colombo, were also hit.

Yet another example of 'My myth is better than your myth. And so I'll kill you.'

I mean seriously  :'(

Oh so are they starting up the bombing again, so the government will crack down, there'll be discontent so more bombing, harsher crackdown, more discontent so more bombing and so it goes.

I watched Viceroy's House yesterday, they (partition) were fun days too.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Tom62

Time for our governments to crack down on Islamophobia again :-\?
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

No one

Is anyone still surprised about the inhumanity of humanity?

Bad Penny II

Quote from: No one on April 21, 2019, 02:36:23 PM
Is anyone still surprised about the inhumanity of humanity?

Thanks for sharing your personal confirmation bias.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

Barbaric, indeed. And the people killed or injured were the problem, how?

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

It's looking as though this could be the work of the Tamil Tigers, so essentially a secular issue, not religiously motivated. This is initial speculation with no claims for the atrocities as yet. Apparently there were a number of Tamils were killed. There is also a chance it could be Buddhists who feel the evangelical nature of Christianity in Sri Lanka is seen as a threat to the Buddhist culture/majority. So nothing firm at this point.

No one

Very good penny, you get a gold star. Persons, can indeed be good. People though, are the scum of this world!

Tom62

The Tamil Tigers used to attack military targets and politicians, never hotels or churches. It is also rather unlikely that they were involved, because they were defeated in 2009. The deed was religiously motivated. The Sri Lankan police has identified suicide bomber Zahran Hashim as the attacker at the Shangri La hotel and Abu Mohammad as the attacker at the Batticalao church.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Icarus

Thank you BP, I needed that boost for my assessment of mankind.   Seems that there are some exceptional people out there.

jumbojak

Quote from: Tom62 on April 21, 2019, 08:32:44 PM
The Tamil Tigers used to attack military targets and politicians, never hotels or churches. It is also rather unlikely that they were involved, because they were defeated in 2009. The deed was religiously motivated. The Sri Lankan police has identified suicide bomber Zahran Hashim as the attacker at the Shangri La hotel and Abu Mohammad as the attacker at the Batticalao church.

Yeah, the Tigers were wiped out. Interesting how the name pops up after the fact in an unrelated event.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz