"Mad Mike" Hughes Killed in Rocket Crash Trying to Prove Earth is Flat

Started by joeactor, February 23, 2020, 12:50:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeactor

"Mad Mike" Hughes Killed in Rocket Crash Trying to Prove Earth is Flat

QuoteMichael Hughes - who went by the moniker "Mad Mike" - was attempting to launch his steam-powered rocket to an altitude of 5,000ft (1,525m) from a site in the desert north-west of Los Angeles but crashed 20 seconds after take-off.

Mr Hughes, 64, eventually wanted to prove his Flat Earth theory by taking photographs of the curvature of the planet - or lack of curvature under his theory - from space.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/mad-mike-hughes-homemade-rocket-crash-a4369171.html

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Recusant

It looked like something went wrong with a chute (the recovery parachute?) very early in the flight. Fatal overconfidence in engineering and/or mechanical ability, unless there was pilot error involved.  :headshake:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Tank

Quote from: Recusant on February 23, 2020, 06:39:08 PM
It looked like something went wrong with a chute (the recovery parachute?) very early in the flight. Fatal overconfidence in engineering and/or mechanical ability, unless there was pilot error involved.  :headshake:

I suspect you may have hit the nail on the head!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

He's not dead, he was taken away. The ever-powerful round earth brigade, took him away, away to be reconditioned, to be reprogrammed. After the "therapy"  and extensive plastic surgery, don't be surprised if this Rocketeer, resurfaces as a 5 year old rocketress.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

billy rubin

plus 1 for wanting to test the theory.

minus 1 for not remembering that a camera would do the same thing.

net zero.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

Old Seer

Another case of science fiction being taken as fact. Which proves, the longer something goes on the more probability it will be believed, and, it cost someone's life. When in my teens I wanted to go to the moon. Logic dictated that a spacecraft is nothing more the an air tank with a rocket motor on it. What's complicated is the rigging needed to to keep one alive. I don't recall why I never gave it a try but was probably due to the moon not being worth my life.
I do recall that one Sunday I hitch hiked to a far town where there was Paps" sport shop and purchased 1 lb of black powder and hitch hiked back. A Sunday or 2  later The family went visiting and I stayed home to light off my excitement. I found that my device was highly multi directional and after making a 9 second inspection of the farm ended up going nose first into the cow yard blowing a hole about 2ft across and 1ft deep. If the cows weren't out in the pasture at the time I most likely would have killed one. The experience was very worth while as any time in the future I would mull over the prospect of moon-going I recalled that happening in the cow yard. So, so much for going to the moon which I still hold to this day as a loony idea. After that experience I stuck to making hand grenades.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

Biggus Dickus

Word is out that he is a favorable candidate for one of 2020's "Darwin Award Winners",...he certainly has my vote. In fact you can submit his story to the "DarwinAwards.com" website by following the link below. They have a simply form to fill out. Took me about 5 minutes to submit mine. Once all of the submissions are in a vuluntary group of monitors will choose those they believe most deserving of the "Coveted title ::)

https://darwinawards.com/slush/submit_story.html

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

joeactor

Quote from: Old Seer on February 25, 2020, 05:16:49 PM
Another case of science fiction being taken as fact. Which proves, the longer something goes on the more probability it will be believed, and, it cost someone's life. When in my teens I wanted to go to the moon. Logic dictated that a spacecraft is nothing more the an air tank with a rocket motor on it. What's complicated is the rigging needed to to keep one alive. I don't recall why I never gave it a try but was probably due to the moon not being worth my life.
I do recall that one Sunday I hitch hiked to a far town where there was Paps" sport shop and purchased 1 lb of black powder and hitch hiked back. A Sunday or 2  later The family went visiting and I stayed home to light off my excitement. I found that my device was highly multi directional and after making a 9 second inspection of the farm ended up going nose first into the cow yard blowing a hole about 2ft across and 1ft deep. If the cows weren't out in the pasture at the time I most likely would have killed one. The experience was very worth while as any time in the future I would mull over the prospect of moon-going I recalled that happening in the cow yard. So, so much for going to the moon which I still hold to this day as a loony idea. After that experience I stuck to making hand grenades.

That, sir... is a great story!

Randy

Quote from: Old Seer on February 25, 2020, 05:16:49 PM

And I thought my experiments with fire was bad! :lol:
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg