News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Hillary or Bernie

Started by Firebird, February 26, 2016, 11:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

Quote from: Firebird on February 29, 2016, 11:26:23 PM
Quote from: jumbojak on February 27, 2016, 08:58:05 PM
Quote from: Firebird on February 27, 2016, 05:38:02 PMWould you still vote for her if she ends up the nominee?

Probably not. I'm not a democrat so I don't have the party loyalty to drag me along and I'm not so scared of the Republicans that I would be likely to vote for the lesser of two weasels just to keep them out. Not yet anyway...

Quote from: Davin on February 29, 2016, 07:47:06 PM
I'm thinking that I'll probably vote for Bernie even if Hillary wins the nomination.

I have to admit you guys saying this scares me, exactly for the reasons Bruno laid out, and others. Hillary pisses me off too, but the alternatives are so much worse. Hell, if Trump or any of these other idealogues get elected, I'm legitimately concerned that my Turkish in-laws might be refused entry to visit us  because they come from a Muslim country, Don't laugh, they could easily restrict the number of tourist visas in the name of "safety".

I'm voting for Bernie tomorrow, but if it's Hillary as the nominee, then I'm absolutely voting for her. Please consider the potential consequences otherwise.

You see Firebird, it's not that Hillary pisses me off. I really don't think that she would make for a good president. I've voted against the Republicans every year I was able to. What have those votes achieved? Next to nothing. Sure, it helped to keep "them" out, but an incresaing number of "their" ideas seem to be coming from the Democrats. The sound bites are different but the end result seems eerily similar.

Maybe I'm just jaded by the mess we call politics and need a break. I've been on one since January and plan to stay on vacation for a while yet. It wore on me far too much when I was in deep.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Nam

Clinton is getting the nomination, and I will vote for her in Nov.

-Nam
I'm on the road less traveled...

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Icarus on March 01, 2016, 02:11:36 AM
Books, the thing is that Elizabeth is way too smart to run for president.  She is one of my favorite pols because she is not a member of the good ole boys contingent. Besides that, she can be a gentile lady and a firebrand at the same time.

So others have told me, and that she can be much more useful out of the White House.  Still think she would make a great President.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

Quote from: Nam on March 01, 2016, 06:04:19 AM
Clinton is getting the nomination, and I will vote for her in Nov.

-Nam
Quoted for truth and future reference  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Biggus Dickus

JJ and I made a bet last year on whether or not Hillary would win the nomination or not. I took Hillary, so iff she does, he has to refer to me as Sir Bruno de la Pole. ;D

If that happens I was thinking to take a trip down to visit with JJ, just so he would have to introduce me to all of his friends and family as Sir....

Also this:

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Firebird

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on March 01, 2016, 02:17:55 PM
JJ and I made a bet last year on whether or not Hillary would win the nomination or not. I took Hillary, so iff she does, he has to refer to me as Sir Bruno de la Pole. ;D

If that happens I was thinking to take a trip down to visit with JJ, just so he would have to introduce me to all of his friends and family as Sir....

Also this:

Yes, this.

JJ, I totally get the frustration, really I do. I don't like that Obama's health care plan came from the Heritage Institute, or that the Clintons represent the DLC "third way" that led to Glass-Steagall repeal and indirectly led to the financial crisis. And whatever other issues you have with her.
But still...if it's Trump, you're talking about a man who's getting endorsements from white supremacist groups for fuck's sake, and Trump's not even bothering to disavow them. That's legitimately scary, and not something we should allow to happen out of pure complacency or anger over Bernie not getting nominated. Anyone who does that will regret their choice by day 2 of President Trump.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Crow

I think you should. It would look like JJ is introducing his older gay lover who is into S&M.
Retired member.

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Crow on March 01, 2016, 03:48:14 PM

I think you should. It would look like JJ is introducing his older gay lover who is into S&M.

Oh I could play this off handsomely, indeed I could...for JJ's sake ;D
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Velma

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on February 29, 2016, 11:48:24 PM
I'm voting for Bernie tomorrow, but if it's Hillary as the nominee, then I'm absolutely voting for her. Please consider the potential consequences otherwise.

Yeah, I prefer Sanders' politics and history, but if Clinton gets the nod I have no heartburn voting for her.  Still wish Elizabeth Warren were running tho.
As much as I support Sanders', I will vote for Clinton in a heartbeat if she gets the nomination. The Republican line-up terrifies me.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Claireliontamer

Quote from: Bruno de la Pole on March 01, 2016, 04:25:03 PM
Quote from: Crow on March 01, 2016, 03:48:14 PM

Oh I could play this off handsomely, indeed I could...for JJ's sake ;D

That would be hilarious, however knowing where JJ lives, I'd worry you both would end up getting shot!

Pasta Chick

Last night I jokingly, whistfully said I missed the good ol' days where all we had to worry about was whether McCain would die and leave his running mate in charge, or Romney was actually a sociopath.

Come to find out there's apparently a rumor that the Koch Bros, etc are trying to round up funding to get Romney in the race before primaries close.  :-X

Davin

Quote from: jumbojak on February 27, 2016, 08:58:05 PM
Quote from: Firebird on February 27, 2016, 05:38:02 PMWould you still vote for her if she ends up the nominee?

Probably not. I'm not a democrat so I don't have the party loyalty to drag me along and I'm not so scared of the Republicans that I would be likely to vote for the lesser of two weasels just to keep them out. Not yet anyway...

Quote from: Davin on February 29, 2016, 07:47:06 PM
I'm thinking that I'll probably vote for Bernie even if Hillary wins the nomination.

I have to admit you guys saying this scares me, exactly for the reasons Bruno laid out, and others. Hillary pisses me off too, but the alternatives are so much worse. Hell, if Trump or any of these other idealogues get elected, I'm legitimately concerned that my Turkish in-laws might be refused entry to visit us  because they come from a Muslim country, Don't laugh, they could easily restrict the number of tourist visas in the name of "safety".

No kind words from me, I'll just get to the point: that you think I haven't thought of the potential consequences is bullshit. Keep your banal condescension to yourself.

If however, you want to have a conversation like a grown up, I'm open to that.

I'm tired of the defacto two party system. I'm tired of people trying to scare me into the status quo. I'm tired of taking the lesser of two poisons. I'm tired of being held hostage to either Democrats or Republicans who care more about bowing to the whims of their own party than anything else.

The problem, is that people are too afraid to vote for anything other than one or the other party. That's not going to change by people only voting for one or the other party. It's only going to change if people vote outside of the two parties. I know that Bernie is a Democrat, but I am not going to vote for a third party just to vote for a third party, I really think that Bernie would help turn the country around. I also think that Hillary won't, at most it will be a slower decline than Drumpf, but it will still be a decline on everyone but the most wealthy.

I'll happily vote for a Democrat so long as it is Bernie Sanders (or Elizabeth Warren), but if the Democratic nominee turns out to be Hillary, I will likely not be voting for her.

If Bush II's efforts didn't destroy the country (though it did get pretty bad), then Drumpf isn't going to be able to destroy the country in 4-8 years. And maybe America needs one more war mongering, corporation babying idiot to further hurt the country before they finally wake up and see the damage that is being caused by subjugating the poor to prop up the wealthy. Maybe people need to be hurt some more before they realize that they have more power than the ones holding the sticks.

A bit of a rant, sure. But I think the message is clear: fuck your condescension and maybe you need to think about what you're doing instead of just following the group. And doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is inefficient, stupid, and insane.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Firebird

Quote from: Davin on March 01, 2016, 07:25:13 PM
A bit of a rant, sure. But I think the message is clear: fuck your condescension and maybe you need to think about what you're doing instead of just following the group. And doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is inefficient, stupid, and insane.

I was not being condescending, I was merely expressing my opinion and why I disagree with you and JJ. Whatev, not interested in debating tactics in anger.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Davin

Quote from: Firebird on March 01, 2016, 09:57:30 PM
Quote from: Davin on March 01, 2016, 07:25:13 PM

I was not being condescending, I was merely expressing my opinion and why I disagree with you and JJ. Whatev, not interested in debating tactics in anger.
I disagree. You were being condescending, whether it was conscious or not I cannot say, but presuming that I had not thought through the consequences of my choices is condescending.

If you cannot discuss these things without getting angry, then no worries, have fun.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Firebird

Quote from: Davin on March 02, 2016, 01:58:39 PM

If you cannot discuss these things without getting angry, then no worries, have fun.

I was referring to you, not me. I'm not the one who aggressively  responded with  "fuck your condescension".  You want to tell me I'm wrong and why, go right ahead and I'll have a debate, I have no problem being told I'm wrong.  But if you're going to get this defensive, then forget it.