News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

"DO - YOU - SPEAK - ENGLISH."

Started by Dave, June 02, 2018, 06:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Branching of from the other discussions on language, and this probably also applies to Spanish . . . Even Portuguese? The problem that because a country speaks the same language you do (well, near enough) it is difficult to view them as a very different culture, as foreigners with different values.

Jon Sopel, American editor for the BBC, who got up Chump's nose on day one by admitting his affiliation,
Sopel: "[. . .]  BBC",
Chump: "Another beauty ."

Sopel has now written a book:

Quote"If Only They Didn't Speak English: Notes From Trump's America"

'You see, if only they didn't speak English in America, then we'd treat it as a foreign country – and probably understand it a lot better'

As the BBC's North America Editor, Jon Sopel has experienced the United States from a perspective that most of us could only dream of: he has flown aboard Air Force One, interviewed President Obama and was famously described as 'a beauty' by Donald Trump.

Through music, film, literature, TV and even through the food we eat and the clothes that we wear we all have a highly developed sense of what America is and through our shared, tangled history we claim a special relationship. But America today feels about as alien a country as you could imagine. It is fearful, angry and impatient for change.

In this fascinating, insightful portrait of American life and politics, Jon Sopel sets out to answer our questions about a country that once stood for the grandest of dreams, but which is now mired in a storm of political extremism, racial division and increasingly perverse beliefs.

It's available on Amazon and is Kindled.

Trouble is I often think some parts of America are foriegn countries to other parts.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dave on June 02, 2018, 06:41:50 PM

Trouble is I often think some parts of America are foriegn countries to other parts.

You're right about that.  People are finally admitting that John Edwards had a point when he said there were two Americas.  But he said that some 15 yrs ago and the problem is now much worse.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Icarus

I recently watched a TV snippit in which John Boehner, former Speaker of the House, said: There is no Republican party, there is only the Trump party.

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on June 03, 2018, 05:47:49 AM
I recently watched a TV snippit in which John Boehner, former Speaker of the House, said: There is no Republican party, there is only the Trump party.

This is getting OT: but this from a Republican!? Shows that there are still a few people with sense and integrity in that party. Or just a cynical outlook?

So, America has divided into Trumpites and non-Trumpites rather than Reps and Dems? Used to be rabid gun + religious nuts and the rest but the nuts seem to be a subset of the Trumpites now.

Arturo

I don't know how people can support Trump when he hasn't done anything he said he would. All he has done is make things good for small amounts of already rich and powerful people. Price of food is going up, price of gas is going up. Jobs aren't coming back as much as they say they are because the practicality of the things that they say need to happen are not doable on the scale we need them to be done in the time frame we have (which is asap whenever the Turnip runs his mouth and nobody wants to be scurrying around for an ass like that all day every day. Trust me I would know, I can be an ass).
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Recusant

He's done plenty, including fulfilling at least some campaign promises. People may not find his "accomplishments" in office to their liking, but with Republicans controlling both houses of Congress, the list is rather long. One of the most important is bringing to fruition what was begun with the despicable tactic of blocking Obama's last Supreme Court nomination; installing a healthy and (comparatively) young right-wing ideologue in that seat for life.

From a Trump cheerleader:

QuoteSecured the release of prisoners of the DPRK
Moved US embassy to Jerusalem
Business investment up 39% due to tax cut
Highest ever manufacturers optimism (94%)
Declared November 7 a National Day of Remembrance for the Victims of Communism
Homebuilding permits nearing record high
Consumer confidence at record high
US oil production up to highest level in 50 years, reducing dependence on foreign oil
Nominates first female head of the CIA
Reduce regulatory burden to levels from the 1970s, eliminating regulations 22 for every one passed.
Signed bill into law to combat opiod dependence
Repeal Obamacare individual mandate
Gave troops the largest pay raise in 7 years
New space policy directive calling for human expansion into the solar system
Shut down CIA finding of Syrian rebels
Pulled us out of Iran Deal
Nearing talks with Kim Jong Un for denuclearization of Korea
Pulled us out of Kyoto
Sanctions on companies doing business with the DPRK
Cut the White House Budget
Opened Small Business Administration Assistance offices
Annihilated ISIS
Reduced border crossings to historic lows
Deportations of illegal aliens up 40%
April 2018 declared the best month in US history for the budget, says the Congressional Budget Office (CBO).
Mining up 29%
Unemployment at lowest level in decades, and lowest level in history for blacks and hispanics.
First ever audit of the Department of Defense
Launched Veteran's Complaint Hotline for VA
Streamlined system for veteran's medical records
passed accountability and whistleblower protection at the VA
Signed Forever GI Bill, boosting aid to veterans
Signed Global Magnitsky Act to fight corruption and human rights abuses
Suspended $2 billion in aid to Pakistan
Reduced refugee admissions to 15-year low
Increased vetting of incoming foreign nationals from high-risk countries
Withdrew $300 million in foreign aid to Egypt
Signed antiterrorism treaty with Qatar
Reached trade agreement with China on natural gas, beef and poultry
Ordered study to be completed on abuses of trade agreements
Terminated the Transpacific partnership
Renegotiating NAFTA with Canada and Mexico
Reached Agreement with China to open Chinese rice market to US exports for the first time in history
Increased US coal exports 60%
World Bank initiative to foster entrepreneurship among women
50 initiatives as part of his plan to reduce prescription drug prices and costs

Note that plenty of things on the list can rightly be considered harmful to the future of the US and in some cases the world as a whole, and some others can't be claimed legitimately as accomplishments of Trump's, but then again, it's from a Trump cheerleader.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

^
An impressive kooking list!

* Was every item in that list actually initiated during Trump's regime or were any inherited from the Obama admin?

* There are times when political actions obey an abbreviated version Newton's third law, "Every action has an opposite reaction." "Equality" is difficult to measure over short periods.

Thus, though they had little chance of victory against the Assad-Putin alliance, not supporting the Syrian rebels is, basicaly, a small step in supporting Russia's foothold in the Near/Middle East.

Reducing the aid to Pakistan may, in effect, increase the support for the factions there that support radical/fundamental Islamism. Though, I have to admit, I have little respect for countries with nuclear weapon and/or space programmes and/or severe corruption who claim they need foreign aid.

North Kprea's actions, even when they appear to give in, may reflect their plans and policies mire than that of foreigners. If they give you something be wary of the hidden costs. NK is vurrently cosying up to Russia who have an interest in making things difficult for the West (though the West so often do a pretty good job beating up each other with potential tariff laws etc..)

Analysis could well reveal obvious or hidden downsides to many of these "achievements", but that is so for all political actions - the balance between good and bad is often delicate.

The Chinese and Russians (and Islam) have, traditionally, taken a long view of history, planned for the next century rather than the next four year political term of office. Works well for (near) totalitarisn regimes, long, slow changes can work as well as, or better than, short sharp battles if a regime feels secure in its position.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on June 02, 2018, 06:41:50 PM
Branching of from the other discussions on language, and this probably also applies to Spanish . . . Even Portuguese? The problem that because a country speaks the same language you do (well, near enough) it is difficult to view them as a very different culture, as foreigners with different values.

Heh, in Brazil there are states that have tried to secede from the union, the only one that was successful was Uruguay, in which the people speak another language.

Language, among other things, does give one a national identity, even if there are divergences from the standard grammatical way of saying and writing things. I think in large territories such as the US and even Brazil even if there is technically one language, there could unofficially be more than one "country" within the nation's borders, especially if there are subpopulations that are isolated either geographically, by economic status or ideologically. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Arturo

That's a good point xSPx. I often think of corporations as shadow governments and Kingdoms. Especially since they are always so competitive with trying to destroy or take over another business or their property AND they like to give themselves a lot of money while the ones at the bottom suffer.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Icarus

Astute observation Silver. 

In my country we have variations of the English language, nay American language, which are at odds with the Oxford English Dictionary, big time.  Most of the time we can decipher what the hell a backwoods West Virginian is talking about but it does take some analytical effort.

OldGit

Try understanding a conversation between two Glaswegians who don't want you to. :Gaah:

Dave

Quote from: OldGit on June 23, 2018, 09:40:51 AM
Try understanding a conversation between two Glaswegians who don't want you to. :Gaah:

Glesga 101

https://youtu.be/_FSWlfcg6oA

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: OldGit on June 23, 2018, 09:40:51 AM

OG! Awright! :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Many, many years ago I was going out with a nurse who lived in a hostel where Phillipino domestics also lived. They had one payphone near the front door.

I tried phoning Kay once, the conversation went something like this:

Ring, ring
" 'Allo?"
"Can I speak to Kay please?"
"Qué?"
"Yes, Kay."
"Qué?"
"Yes ... nurse Kay."
"Qué?"
. . .

At this point Kay was passing and took over the conversation, just before I put the phone down.

Ecurb Noselrub

Agree with SP that language is a national identifier, and I suggest it is the main one.  You immediately notice when someone is not proficient in your language.  Accent is not that significant, but if you fumble with the grammar and vocab, people notice and identify you as "other".