News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Photography technical advice, questions, tips and techniques.

Started by Tank, July 30, 2018, 10:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on August 14, 2018, 10:40:02 AM
I have just found a weird one.

Using the wide angle front lens on my 18-140mm lens with the camera set to P it refuses to focus using the viewfinder but is happy to do so using "live view" and the back screen!

On "intelligent" setting and auto flash it is quite happy with the viewfinder. This is the setting I used in my workshop picture.

:wtf:
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 14, 2018, 10:57:45 AM

Using the wide angle front lens on my 18-140mm lens with the camera set to P it refuses to focus using the viewfinder but is happy to do so using "live view" and the back screen!

On "intelligent" setting and auto flash it is quite happy with the viewfinder. This is the setting I used in my workshop picture.

Sorry, I got it slightly wrong - in the first case it focusses in the viewfinder but refuses to trigger the shutter. Using "live view" it takes the shot.

Hmm, I will try putting it on auto flash on the P setting, hang on . . .  Nope, only wants to work on live view. This is OK for what I wanted to do, flash might have attracted to much attention in a public space. (Seems we are not supposed to take pictures in the malls in town.)

But it is weird! Electronically the camera does not know the w/a is there; practically it focusses but gives a small red central square and a red, sort of, bracket round the central third of the f-o-v in the viewfinder when the shutter release is fully pressed.

Setting the metering to full screen the red bits, though lots of little squares now, still appear but it takes the shot. It was a high contrast, sunny window in the centre, light shadows around. Need to play more.

Reckon its a dodgy algorithm!

Oh, noticed that there might be film/coating separation starting on the front lens of that cheapo w/a lens. Little bubbles like you see with badly applied protective films on phones. It does not seem to be a protective film here. No obvious sign of it degrading the image so far.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

I think my cheap waterproof Nikon makes lots of folders, haven't used it for a while.
You can do a *.jpg or whatever file extension search, then drag them into a folder on your computer in one go.  The name the camera gives the pics probably runs in order, otherwise just order by date.  This is in File/windows explorer.

Canon uses one folder (for pics at least).  I just drag them into a windows folder and then delete them from camera in windows.  No problems so far and I have taken a lot.

I don't often format for Canon but my Nikon got an increasingly messy file structure so I did.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dave

Quote from: Bad Penny II on August 14, 2018, 11:59:21 AM
I think my cheap waterproof Nikon makes lots of folders, haven't used it for a while.
You can do a *.jpg or whatever file extension search, then drag them into a folder on your computer in one go.  The name the camera gives the pics probably runs in order, otherwise just order by date.  This is in File/windows explorer.

Canon uses one folder (for pics at least).  I just drag them into a windows folder and then delete them from camera in windows.  No problems so far and I have taken a lot.

I don't often format for Canon but my Nikon got an increasingly messy file structure so I did.

I set up a default GEN(eral) folder in my Nikon, then special folders for special tasks.

But I have to remember to fight through the menu system to make sure I get the right one for the next job. There is a programmable "fn" button but folder change is not an option on that.

jumbojak

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 14, 2018, 05:39:44 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on August 14, 2018, 02:18:15 AM
Well, it doesn't really matter that the photos are all jumbled up because my experiment with the maximum f-stop was a miserable failure. Turns out, f/40 isn't very good for taking clear photos...

One can learn a lot from failed experiments, so please give us more details and we will all chip in with some suggestions. My motives are a bit selfish; I hope to learn from your experiments as well.

By f/40, I assume you mean f/4? It is possible to take clear photos at all f stops, so it was probably just a focusing problem. The wider the f-stop, the smaller the depth of field, so precise focusing becomes critically important.

No, the aperture was set to f/40! Shutter speed was 1/2 a second which I think was where my problem arose. Of the ospreys are out this morning I'll crank it down to f/22 and gradually ruse from there. My experiment was with the hyperfocal distance focusing. From what I had been reading the higher the f-stop the better so I went really, really high!

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

hermes2015

Quote from: Dave on August 14, 2018, 11:52:59 AM

Sorry, I got it slightly wrong - in the first case it focusses in the viewfinder but refuses to trigger the shutter. Using "live view" it takes the shot.

Hmm, I will try putting it on auto flash on the P setting, hang on . . .  Nope, only wants to work on live view. This is OK for what I wanted to do, flash might have attracted to much attention in a public space. (Seems we are not supposed to take pictures in the malls in town.)

But it is weird! Electronically the camera does not know the w/a is there; practically it focusses but gives a small red central square and a red, sort of, bracket round the central third of the f-o-v in the viewfinder when the shutter release is fully pressed.

Setting the metering to full screen the red bits, though lots of little squares now, still appear but it takes the shot. It was a high contrast, sunny window in the centre, light shadows around. Need to play more.

Oh, noticed that there might be film/coating separation starting on the front lens of that cheapo w/a lens. Little bubbles like you see with badly applied protective films on phones. It does not seem to be a protective film here. No obvious sign of it degrading the image so far.

Is the camera set on AF-S or AF-C? If on AF-S, try it with AF-C.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on August 14, 2018, 12:30:09 PM
Well, it doesn't really matter that the photos are all jumbled up because my experiment with the maximum f-stop was a miserable failure. Turns out, f/40 isn't very good for taking clear photos...

One can learn a lot from failed experiments, so please give us more details and we will all chip in with some suggestions. My motives are a bit selfish; I hope to learn from your experiments as well.

By f/40, I assume you mean f/4? It is possible to take clear photos at all f stops, so it was probably just a focusing problem. The wider the f-stop, the smaller the depth of field, so precise focusing becomes critically important.

No, the aperture was set to f/40! Shutter speed was 1/2 a second which I think was where my problem arose. Of the ospreys are out this morning I'll crank it down to f/22 and gradually ruse from there. My experiment was with the hyperfocal distance focusing. From what I had been reading the higher the f-stop the better so I went really, really high!

Wow, none of my lenses has a stop smaller than f22. F40 is really very small. Which lens is that?
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 14, 2018, 12:32:13 PM
Quote from: Dave on August 14, 2018, 11:52:59 AM

Is the camera set on AF-S or AF-C? If on AF-S, try it with AF-C.

Good point. So many bloody bells and whistles I keep forgetting the notes!

Tried setting it up as I had done for those macro shots - with the lens pointing down the friction on the zoom is not enough to prevent the extra weight  extending it fully under gravity and it is difficult to wind back up without pushing as well!

Dave

Well, my Nikkor 50mm f1.8 has arrived, was fitted and played with within minutes!

I tried it with that w/a front lens, but that seems to do weird things with the focus. Works close up but cannot get the other end of the room in focus, needs playing with in daylight first.

Here is a picture of a cutting mat using that combo, with cm squares, shows a bit of barrel distortion, not unexpected:

Just noticed there is also a bit of lateral "spreading"; there are five x cm squares divided by thicker lines, but the two thin lines at the sides are "thickened".

Looks like the fish eye effect needs the shorter focal length. Ain't gonna buy an 18mm or a 25mm to see though, will use the bottom end of the 18-140mm! The ring and the viewfinder display cannot agree what the f-stop is, despite its contacts the lens does not feed back to the proccessor it seems. Looks like full manual mode might be required for flash, but I have no distance/f-stop data for the built in flashgun. Even more playing needed . . .

jumbojak

Quote from: hermes2015 on August 14, 2018, 12:36:39 PM

Wow, none of my lenses has a stop smaller than f22. F40 is really very small. Which lens is that?

This one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00005Y3OM?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

But I'm thinking that the "limited compatibility" this lens has with my camera might be doing some wonky stuff. And there's supposed to be a dial or something to manually adjust the aperture that I can't find now that I'm looking for it! Could be a bad description.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Dave

Quote from: jumbojak on August 14, 2018, 09:26:14 PM

This one:

But I'm thinking that the "limited compatibility" this lens has with my camera might be doing some wonky stuff. And there's supposed to be a dial or something to manually adjust the aperture that I can't find now that I'm looking for it! Could be a bad description.

Yeah, f45 min apperture! But no image stabilisation?

Which model do you have again? On my D5300 I select "A," hit the "info" button, use the "navigation" wheel to select the apperture dudplay then the thumbwheel (top right) to change that. The speed compensates automatically. "M"  allows you to change both and a scale at the bottom tells you how close you are to a viable combination so far as the lighting is concerned. Then you only have to choose between speed of subject and depth of field.

"Only"! Hah! That is the "art" bit!

Later

Here's another, quicker, wsy - I have learned something!

But that man's voice ! ! !

Pressing and holding the other top button allows speed adjustment on M in the same way.

Bluenose

+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

hermes2015

Quote from: jumbojak on August 14, 2018, 09:26:14 PM

This one:

That's odd, because according to Nikon, the minimum aperture is f/32.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/camera-lenses/af-zoom-nikkor-70-300mm-f%252f4-5.6g.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-TechSpecs

If the camera shows f/40, then there must be some incompatibility problem.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

― Charles Eames

Dave

Hermes said:
QuoteThat's odd, because according to Nikon, the minimum aperture is f/32.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/product/camera-lenses/af-zoom-nikkor-70-300mm-f%252f4-5.6g.html#tab-ProductDetail-ProductTabs-TechSpecs

If the camera shows f/40, then there must be some incompatibility problem.

Hmm, I found  a spec for a .Nikkor 70-300mm  that gave f45 as the min, but no  inage stab.

But there is a VR model the quotes f32-40 for the zoom range:

https://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/lens/zoom/telephotozoom/af-s_vr_zoom70-300mmf_45-56g_if/index.htm

I have noticed there are various Nikkor models at the same focal length