News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Book Recommendations

Started by Biggus Dickus, March 30, 2017, 06:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

That's a nice post, Father Bruno.   :tellmemore: Thank you for sharing it with us.

I'm glad to hear you had a wonderful time. Tell me, were you nice to the nuns?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Father Bruno on April 19, 2017, 11:19:00 PM

Quite frankly it was the perfect spot, on the perfect day, to read a fairly enjoyable book. One of the most contented moments I had during what was actually quite a wonderful week.

Sounds, and looks, absolutely wonderful!
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Essie Mae on April 20, 2017, 12:18:15 AM

Also just read 'The Shining Girls' by Lauren Beukes about a serial killer who was also,a time traveller. Not my genre really; I don't like the supernatural much.

I have that one on my e-reader, and have been hesitating starting it for the same reasons.  I bought it mainly because I liked the title.

Something I started reading on my e-reader is Raymond Chandler's long essay, The Simple Art of Murder, about writing detective fiction.  I've had to stop, tho, because it's become plain this is the sort of book I need to have in "real" form.  So I'll finish it when I get a copy with a spine.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Dragonia

Thanks for posting those pictures, Father Bruno, they center me and calm me just looking at them and I want to go to that exact place. I can almost smell the air.....

I also think it's kind of cute that you're "sentimental to a fault".
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Magdalena

Quote from: Dragonia on April 20, 2017, 02:25:58 PM
Thanks for posting those pictures, Father Bruno, they center me and calm me just looking at them and I want to go to that exact place. I can almost smell the air.....

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: Magdalena on April 20, 2017, 04:10:56 PM
Quote from: Dragonia on April 20, 2017, 02:25:58 PM

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

jumbojak

Might I recommend River of Stars by Guy Gavriel Kay. Excellent book.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

Have you read 'Good Omens' by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Biggus Dickus

Quote from: jumbojak on April 22, 2017, 02:48:40 AM
Might I recommend River of Stars by Guy Gavriel Kay. Excellent book.

That looks interesting, I'll add that one to my list, I do like historical fiction.. Thanks-
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Velma

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 22, 2017, 03:50:58 AM
Have you read 'Good Omens' by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman?
Anything by either of them is always a good choice for something to read.
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan