News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

New HBO Series - Westworld

Started by xSilverPhinx, August 30, 2016, 11:53:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joeactor

Still catching up, but it's a good show.

Like the direction they're headed... hope they can find a way to keep it interesting.

Finale is on the way!

Pasta Chick

I believe there's a marathon starting at noon tomorrow leading up to the finale. I'll be rewatching a bit! I feel like there's a lot of rewatch value, seeing things you now know are hints at upcoming twists.

Pasta Chick

THESE VIOLENT DELIGHTS HAVE VIOLENT ENDS

...I am so in love with this show it's not even funny. I need to rewatch this season ASAP. Because OMG, that finale. O.M.G.

Davin

I just barely watched the finale, that was a good ending I think. I know a lot of people in my circles were complaining about the slow pacing for the first few episodes, but I found it refreshing to watch a show with a different pace than what seems to be the current standard.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Pasta Chick

It's not really even slow, as you're getting information the entire time.  It's just not all gunslinging action. Which is good. As much as it can be done well, action is a mocked genre for a reason. A "slow" show can have loads of depth if done correctly. Look at Breaking Bad's now iconic fly episode.

That's my beef with shows like TWD. They're slow AND nothing happens. Very basic info that should take minutes to impart takes an entire episode, at the cost of any character development at all.

Davin

Quote from: Pasta Chick on December 12, 2016, 03:38:08 PM
It's not really even slow, as you're getting information the entire time.  It's just not all gunslinging action. Which is good. As much as it can be done well, action is a mocked genre for a reason. A "slow" show can have loads of depth if done correctly. Look at Breaking Bad's now iconic fly episode.
There is some good writing advice, at least some writing advice that I agree with, and it goes something like this: does the scene add/change anything to a character, a situation, a location, or the plot? If not, then you probably want to drop it. And I feel that too many times (like in TWD), with many shows or movies, it feels as if they add too many scenes for atmosphere, aesthetics, or filler, which to me, makes the shows feel empty no matter how long they are. It makes a one hour show drag on but gives the feeling that almost nothing happened.

I understand that real life can become tedious, but I think that the feeling of tedium can be presented in many different ways, without making the viewer experience tedium. While I can understand an artist wanting a spectator to experience tedium to put them into the "right place" to experience the art, tedium is not a feeling I want to experience when I'm looking to be entertained.

Quote from: Pasta ChickThat's my beef with shows like TWD. They're slow AND nothing happens. Very basic info that should take minutes to impart takes an entire episode, at the cost of any character development at all.
I have a lot to say about that, but I'll hold my tongue (fingers), here.

Any way, tangents aside, I have enjoyed all the episodes of Westworld and think they are all well done. And I also want to watch the season again.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

I've only just now gotten round to watching this (have watched one episode so far). Looks like an interesting series.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey