News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Re: The good, the bad, and the unfair.

Started by Asmodean, February 03, 2014, 12:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Quote from: magdalena on February 02, 2014, 06:40:06 AM
If a child misbehaves in the classroom, should the whole class be punished?
Unless they are aspiring Roman legionnaires, I would say no.

Does anyone here know why some teachers do this?
Maybe because much like people, some teachers are, what's the word..? Idiots.

Do you think it's fair?
Does it work? Then it doesn't matter what I think. If it doesn't, then what I think is the least of this concept's problems.

Why should a kid strive to be good and responsible if he/she will be punished anyways?
Excellent question. If we look beyond personal morality, law and social contract, he/she probably shouldn't. As it is, the real world seems much more accomodating to a mid-range asshole than it is to someone "good and responsible." At least, that's my detached near-sociopathic view. But I don't think I'm wrong.

My son came home from school and said the teacher told everyone to write their name and last name one thousand times as a punishment because one of the kids forgot to write it on his homework.
Punishing forgetfulness... Someone is apparently a tad bit too bitter for their job.

My husband and I said, "Oh, hell no!" I sent the teacher an email telling him our son wasn't going to do it. I said to him that we don't have a problem if our son is punished for misbehaving in his classroom, or for being irresponsible--but this is different. We basically told him he should re-check his discipline policies. The teacher said he would take it into consideration. 
Sounds reasonable. Although me, I'd let the kid do the standing up for himself bit.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Essie Mae

One year I had a really disruptive Y4 class, (8-9 year-olds in UK), and one of the problems (of many), was that they were permanently ready to beat merry hell out of each other, so any group punishment for one pupil's misdemenour would have been somewhat counter-productive.  In a well-behaved class, this type of punishment would be rather bewildering for the innocent ones.
Hell is empty and all the devils are here. Wm Shakespeare

Magdalena

Quote from: Asmodean on February 03, 2014, 12:40:45 PM
Sounds reasonable. Although me, I'd let the kid do the standing up for himself bit.
I agree with you, but he's only ten years old, he's still learning how stand up for himself and others. He's an Asmo worshiper in the making, so he's not your typical argumentative and confrontational atheist--yet, but I'm working on it.  ;)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Pasta Chick

Quote from: magdalena on February 04, 2014, 06:28:13 AM
Quote from: Asmodean on February 03, 2014, 12:40:45 PM
I agree with you, but he's only ten years old, he's still learning how stand up for himself and others. He's an Asmo worshiper in the making, so he's not your typical argumentative and confrontational atheist--yet, but I'm working on it.  ;)

Plus if his school is anything like mine, questioning a punishment typically gets you in even more trouble.