News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Dragon speech recognition software.

Started by Tank, March 10, 2018, 03:00:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumbojak

How well does it work if you speak another laguage? Say, maybe you tested it by reading a few paragraphs of French, the Spanish, any other language you can read and pronounce reasonably well.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Tank

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on March 11, 2018, 12:34:53 AM
Quote from: Tank on March 10, 2018, 03:00:13 PM
For some reason the software found it easier to recognise my wife's accident than mine. I said accent you stupid bucking software. I said bucking. Really bucking! This for a game of soldiers flocking typical it can't recognise one of my favourite words!

:rofl:

*swipes tear from eye*

I added Fuck and Fucking to the vocabulary and all is well in the world.  :asmo:
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: jumbojak on March 11, 2018, 05:12:56 AM
How well does it work if you speak another laguage? Say, maybe you tested it by reading a few paragraphs of French, the Spanish, any other language you can read and pronounce reasonably well.

:???: how the fuck would I know? I only speak English!  :rant: :Gaah:
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Tank

Quote from: Buddy on March 11, 2018, 03:48:48 AM
Glad that you've gotten the voice to text to work for you Tank. I still don't trust it after Siri decided that I was definitely texting my mom for sex...

What did she say?

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on March 11, 2018, 06:36:19 AM
Quote from: jumbojak on March 11, 2018, 05:12:56 AM

:???: how the fuck would I know? I only speak English!  :rant: :Gaah:

:lol:
This is funny.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Magdalena

Quote from: Tank on March 11, 2018, 06:33:27 AM
For some reason the software found it easier to recognise my wife's accident than mine. I said accent you stupid bucking software. I said bucking. Really bucking! This for a game of soldiers flocking typical it can't recognise one of my favourite words!

*swipes tear from eye*

I added Fuck and Fucking to the vocabulary and all is well in the world.  :asmo:

What about...
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Quote from: Magdalena on March 11, 2018, 07:02:16 AM

*swipes tear from eye*

What about...

Mags, you missed out one of Tank's favourites:
FUCKETY FUCKETY FUCK FUCK.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Magdalena

Quote from: Dave on March 11, 2018, 07:07:02 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on March 11, 2018, 07:02:16 AM

*swipes tear from eye*

What about...

Mags, you missed out one of Tank's favourites:
FUCKETY FUCKETY FUCK FUCK.

:snicker:
That's what I meant to say.

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on March 11, 2018, 06:37:24 AM
Glad that you've gotten the voice to text to work for you Tank. I still don't trust it after Siri decided that I was definitely texting my mom for sex...

What did she say?

She thought it was hilarious. She's the one I got my sick sense of humor from.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Dragonia

Quote from: Buddy on March 11, 2018, 03:37:05 PM
Quote from: Tank on March 11, 2018, 06:37:24 AM

What did she say?

She thought it was hilarious. She's the one I got my sick sense of humor from.

So funny, I love that!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Dave

Tank, just checked the price of DNS, not exactly cheap is it?! And not available for tablets - my preferred devices for routine daily stuff.

I do have a speech-to-text-to-speech freebie, by some chap called Jesus Rojo, where one has to enunciate very carefully, no more than about three words at a time on this tablet. Then you have to copy/paste into the forum post or whatever. Actually quite good is one speaks clearly and one can edit via the keyboard - one has to put punctuation etc in by hand.

I think I might just settle for either typing very slowly or doing lots of editing . . .

Dave

Just tried an experiment: put the tablet, with speech to text running, next to the radio. It recorded what was said but with no punctuation, tbough it might be better to do that and post-edit rather than trying to type as you listen.

Better for transcribing recordings maybe . . . When I have time I will see if it will transcribe the files from the recorder in my tablet rather than through the mike.

hermes2015

Do you have to speak in RP, or does one train it for accents?
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 13, 2018, 10:29:05 AM

I sort of use RP when I speak carefully, despite bring a Londoner I am told that I have a "neutral" accent.

Not how it handles accents but I do tend to "slur" some words together, poor enunciation, and it is (reasonably) sensitive to that. It handles big words, like "enunciation" quite happily. Not bad for a freebie, for $1.90/£2.06 you get an adfree version. There is another free version that reads pdfs. It does not recognise Kindle files . . .

Also added an "improved female English accent" from Samsung, more human sounding but it reads faster, annoyingly so. Will check settings to see if reading speeds can be slowed down a little.

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on March 13, 2018, 10:29:05 AM
In Dragon during the set up it asks you for an approximation of you accent and then asks you to read a piece of text from the screen until it thinks its got what it needs. My wife didn't even finish the text before it had learned her accent. I had to read it 1 and a half times. It's only a few paragraphs.