News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

HURRICANE HARVEY

Started by Biggus Dickus, August 25, 2017, 01:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Quote from: Dragonia on September 06, 2017, 02:22:28 PM
With all these natural disasters happening, we should have a "Weather Thread".
"Weather, Whether Good or Bad"

There is "Shall we talk about the weather?"
http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=13742.msg299651#msg299651
But that does tend to be a tad light hearted.

Perhaps we need some sort of general disaster thread - if unfortunately.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Icarus

Right now, about 8 PM my time, the storm is predicted to veer to the east a little bit.  If it continues on that path it will brush my east coast and the center will pass some 70 miles to the east of my humble abode.  I would still get some damage because the winds reach out many miles from the center, or eye of the storm. The weather people have not said that the storm intensity has diminished. As a category five, it is the most powerful storm ever recorded in the Atlantic ocean. 

The devastating capacity of a cat 5  exceeds biblical proportion.  The force of winds are a function of the square of their velocity and also contains an air density component called rho.  The wet air is more dense that dry air. If a 120 mph wind is destructive, and it is decidedly destructive,  then a 180 MPH wind is 2.25 more powerful. This is by no means my first rodeo. I ridden out many hurricanes in my 75 years in Florida.  Nothing like this one however. Cat threes Are killers. Cat fives....we have never endured one of those.

If it misses me of its main force and veers to the east, It will destroy the Bahamas. Not their first rodeo either, but then this is the baddest meanest one in recorded history.

Ho Hum...we will soon see what the outcome is. It ain't gonna be good. And yes I am afraid.

Dave

Dragonia

Quote from: Dave on September 06, 2017, 02:44:02 PM
Quote from: Dragonia on September 06, 2017, 02:22:28 PM
With all these natural disasters happening, we should have a "Weather Thread".
"Weather, Whether Good or Bad"

There is "Shall we talk about the weather?"
http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=13742.msg299651#msg299651
But that does tend to be a tad light hearted.

Perhaps we need some sort of general disaster thread - if unfortunately.
Ah yes, I forgot about that thread.... and I've even posted in that one!
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Ecurb Noselrub

My wife and I donated to the Houston relief fund through the JJ Watt Foundation.  He's a football player for the Houston Texans, and has raised over $28,000,000.00 for the relief effort.  Sounds like a lot, but that comes out to about $1.00 per Texas resident.  Michael Dell pledged $36,000,000.00 through other sources.  Sandra Bullock paid $1,000,000.00.    I recommend the JJ Watt Foundation for anyone wishing to donate.  Anything helps.  Here's a link.   http://jjwfoundation.org/     It's pretty simple.

Arturo

Quote from: Icarus on September 07, 2017, 04:11:59 AM
Right now, about 8 PM my time, the storm is predicted to veer to the east a little bit.  If it continues on that path it will brush my east coast and the center will pass some 70 miles to the east of my humble abode.  I would still get some damage because the winds reach out many miles from the center, or eye of the storm. The weather people have not said that the storm intensity has diminished. As a category five, it is the most powerful storm ever recorded in the Atlantic ocean. 

The devastating capacity of a cat 5  exceeds biblical proportion.  The force of winds are a function of the square of their velocity and also contains an air density component called rho.  The wet air is more dense that dry air. If a 120 mph wind is destructive, and it is decidedly destructive,  then a 180 MPH wind is 2.25 more powerful. This is by no means my first rodeo. I ridden out many hurricanes in my 75 years in Florida.  Nothing like this one however. Cat threes Are killers. Cat fives....we have never endured one of those.

If it misses me of its main force and veers to the east, It will destroy the Bahamas. Not their first rodeo either, but then this is the baddest meanest one in recorded history.

Ho Hum...we will soon see what the outcome is. It ain't gonna be good. And yes I am afraid.

Can someone in a safe area offer Icarus refuge? I'd do so but I already offered one person and I only have one couch.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Icarus

Thank you for the thoughtfulness Arturo.

For the most part, Floridians understand the dangers of Hurricanes and do tend to take appropriate pre- storm action. Example: We will board up all the windows in our houses.

A report today said that Home Depot has, in the last week, sold 360.000 sheets of plywood.  Lowes will have sold a near equal number of them.  Bottom line: we will batten down the hatches and deal with whatever the outcome. Some of us will die. Not many, but some. Boarding up the windows is not so much a matter of mitigating the enormous pressure on our window glass. It is for the most part an effort to diminish the damage from flying objects such as street signs or pieces of houses that have parted company with the original design.  Imagine some ones previously curbside mailbox flying through the air at 100, 150 miles per hour. ,

If a window of significant size is breached, the next thing that happens, in a few seconds, is that the roof of the house blows off.  "and a good time will be had by all"

I do not intend to be one of those who sail across the bar because of a killer windstorm. We'll see.

If after Sunday, I do not show up for a few days, it will likely be because all the power lines and cables have been destroyed. Our utility workers know the drill. We will be back in business very shortly.......... Meanwhile....I admire, respect, and care much for all you guys and girls.

hermes2015

Quote from: Icarus on September 08, 2017, 03:57:28 AM
Thank you for the thoughtfulness Arturo.

For the most part, Floridians understand the dangers of Hurricanes and do tend to take appropriate pre- storm action. Example: We will board up all the windows in our houses.

A report today said that Home Depot has, in the last week, sold 360.000 sheets of plywood.  Lowes will have sold a near equal number of them.  Bottom line: we will batten down the hatches and deal with whatever the outcome. Some of us will die. Not many, but some. Boarding up the windows is not so much a matter of mitigating the enormous pressure on our window glass. It is for the most part an effort to diminish the damage from flying objects such as street signs or pieces of houses that have parted company with the original design.  Imagine some ones previously curbside mailbox flying through the air at 100, 150 miles per hour. ,

If a window of significant size is breached, the next thing that happens, in a few seconds, is that the roof of the house blows off.  "and a good time will be had by all"

I do not intend to be one of those who sail across the bar because of a killer windstorm. We'll see.

If after Sunday, I do not show up for a few days, it will likely be because all the power lines and cables have been destroyed. Our utility workers know the drill. We will be back in business very shortly.......... Meanwhile....I admire, respect, and care much for all you guys and girls.

Good luck Icarus. Where I am the weather could not be more different to yours, but I can empathize with you.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dave

Yes, tske care Icarus. We will be thinking of you.

Ecurb Noselrub

The current projected path of Irma makes it look like American is getting a Foley catheter.  It enters at the tip of America's penis (Florida) and goes right up into the bladder (Georgia).

http://www.cnn.com/interactive/storm-tracker/