News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Call the librarian: Unlikely heroes of the opioid epidimic.

Started by Biggus Dickus, June 23, 2017, 06:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arturo

I think weed, refer, marijuana should be legal. When something is restricted, it just makes people want it more. This is seen in the prohibition of alcohol and in the measures Australia takes to drive people away from cigarettes.

However, that doesn't make any of these things safe to use. Mental illness does come from smoking weed. That's how I ended up in the mental hospital. But if it's going to make people smoke it less by making it legal, let's do this.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Davin

Quote from: Gloucester on June 23, 2017, 10:51:04 PM
Quote from: Davin on June 23, 2017, 09:53:18 PM
Quote from: Gloucester on June 23, 2017, 09:30:26 PM
"Less harmless than...", in my Engish, could be written as, "not as harmless as..." this seemed to be equivalent to, "more harmful than.." to me.
That doesn't make any sense to me.

Try:

"(Marijuana) is less safe than (sugar)" = "(marihuana) is not as safe as (sugar) = "(marijuana) is more dangerous than (sugar)."
That doesn't make sense to me. Why would you translate it like that?

Quote from: GloucesterWhen did I say I wanted to make alcohol illegal? I enjoyed a glass of wine, without a twinge to my conscience, this evening.
You didn't say it directly, I was attempting to point to the inconsistency in your logic when you said:
Quote from: Gloucester on June 23, 2017, 09:30:26 PMI am, however, concerned about those who consume enough of sufficient psycho-active compounds, esoecially for recreational purposes, to do themselves damage, from either those compounds soecufically of the by-products of the method of their use.
Since it has been proven that alcohol is more damaging than marijuana in this regard, you will have to hold inconsistent double standards to oppose the safer option without opposing the more dangerous option.

Quote from: GloucesterYou are becoming personal in your arguments, Davin[...]
That is bullshit, I have not directly attacked you in any way. Even this is a direct response to your statement.

Quote from: Gloucester[...]rather than attacking mine with evidence to support yours.
What claim have I made that you think is not supported with evidence? I will provide it if there is a point, I had just assumed that if you're against something, then you would be well versed in it.

Quote from: GloucesterLet's just agree to differ, fifty odd years of discussion and debate inform me that if two people hold strong opposing views it is usually a waste of time and effort arguing the toss.
I don't have a problem if your opinion differs from mine, but I also don't have a problem voicing it either. Also, I find this kind of sentiment rather pointless. I am more than willing to correct my view points if presented with a rational argument supported by evidence.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Davin

Quote from: Arturo on June 23, 2017, 11:08:28 PM
However, that doesn't make any of these things safe to use. Mental illness does come from smoking weed. That's how I ended up in the mental hospital. But if it's going to make people smoke it less by making it legal, let's do this.
Don't conflate underage usage with proper adult usage. There are a lot of things that fuck with brain development. That's why I agree with age restrictions.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Arturo

I didn't say anything about underage. I was an adult when I started smoking weed.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Velma

Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Magdalena

Boys! Enough!  :foottap:
Why don't we all just smoke a nice blunt, drink some nice red wine, and talk about peace and love?  :levitate:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

No one

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Icarus

Recusant

I don't like blunts.  :nu-uh:

Fine with red wine, and could do a number or a good bowl followed by a cigar.  :smilenod:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

No one

no one:
Peace and humanity can not coexist, mags.

mags:
Not in your realm, my friend.

Your positive outlook on the dreadful human species is nothing short of extraordinary. However, madam butterfly, the fact remains there will always be those who think their way is right, and will kill to prove it.

Ecurb Noselrub

The problem with weed is that gives the munchies.  I'll bet that addiction to Cheetos is higher where it is legal.  It leads to being an overweight couch potato, dude.  But we are already a fat nation, so what the heck.

Magdalena

Quote from: No one on June 24, 2017, 11:30:36 PM
no one:
Peace and humanity can not coexist, mags.

mags:
Not in your realm, my friend.

Your positive outlook on the dreadful human species is nothing short of extraordinary. However, madam butterfly, the fact remains there will always be those who think their way is right, and will kill to prove it.
Maybe those people need to chill and smoke some weed.  :notsure:

Magdalena

Magdalena