News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Re: I Need Help From All You Native Speakers Once Again

Started by OldGit, December 14, 2014, 10:30:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

I'm really intrigued because it looks like something Google Translate would come up with.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

There is a term "petting" which is well out of fashion now I think, and describes basically foreplay stopping short of actual sexual intercourse. Most often used in the phrase "heavy petting." I doubt that's what the text was about, but you never know.  ;D

"Petting: what is it and what does it involve" | NetDoctor

QuotePetting is an old (mid-20th century) term that means stimulating another person's sex organs or breasts – usually with your hand or mouth, and normally while kissing them.

Petting actually an American word – originally meaning stroking or caressing (as one would stroke a 'pet' cat).

It is more or less the equivalent of the U.S. terms 'necking' and 'making out', both of which originated in the 1940s.

There was no equivalent word in 'polite' (British) English, so the US word 'petting' gradually became used worldwide during the late 20th Century and is still employed – particularly by middle-aged people.

[Continues (of course)]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on December 12, 2017, 01:56:32 AM
There is a term "petting" which is well out of fashion now I think, and describes basically foreplay stopping short of actual sexual intercourse. Most often used in the phrase "heavy petting." I doubt that's what the text was about, but you never know.  ;D

QuotePetting is an old (mid-20th century) term that means stimulating another person's sex organs or breasts – usually with your hand or mouth, and normally while kissing them.

Petting actually an American word – originally meaning stroking or caressing (as one would stroke a 'pet' cat).

It is more or less the equivalent of the U.S. terms 'necking' and 'making out', both of which originated in the 1940s.

There was no equivalent word in 'polite' (British) English, so the US word 'petting' gradually became used worldwide during the late 20th Century and is still employed – particularly by middle-aged people.

[Continues (of course)]

Well, you learn something new everyday! :grin:

It would have been hilarious if they were sexting, but based on the snippet of conversation she showed us, I'd say something like 'fondle' is not what he was talking about. However, you never know with some people...

She was middle-aged so perhaps he was too. :notsure:

I don't know anymore. :lol:

Dave

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 12, 2017, 02:08:03 AM

[Continues (of course)]

It would have been hilarious if they were sexting, but based on the snippet of conversation she showed us, I'd say something like 'fondle' is not what he was talking about. However, you never know with some people...

In "The Hitch-hikers' Guide to the Galaxy" a "Whop!" sound is heard. This signifies the establishment of a "Not-My-Problem-Field", very useful in such circumstances.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dave on December 12, 2017, 08:27:36 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 12, 2017, 02:08:03 AM

[Continues (of course)]

In "The Hitch-hikers' Guide to the Galaxy" a "Whop!" sound is heard. This signifies the establishment of a "Not-My-Problem-Field", very useful in such circumstances.

:lol:

Yeah. :grin:

Icarus

Rec must be older than I thought if he recognizes the colloquial term "petting".  I suspect that that term was somewhat confined to regional usage. It does have mild sexual overtones when applied to human behavior toward another human. When applied to an animal, such as your domestic dog or cat, then the word stems from the root word pet and has no sexual connotations. The word pet can be a noun or a verb. The word petting is either a verb or sometimes an adjective or adverb....choose your poison.

A parallel descriptive term used way back in time was "Boodling" which had the same meaning as limited petting.  That term is now superseded by  "Making out" .  Making out has more than one implication and may not be as limited in meaning as the older vernaculars.  The American language is a real mess that is sure to confuse speakers of other languages.  We invent new words without regard for common sense.  How about the long past valley girl expression for surprise; "Gag me with a spoon"?

Dave

Quote from: Icarus on December 13, 2017, 01:59:27 AM
Rec must be older than I thought if he recognizes the colloquial term "petting".  I suspect that that term was somewhat confined to regional usage. It does have mild sexual overtones when applied to human behavior toward another human. When applied to an animal, such as your domestic dog or cat, then the word stems from the root word pet and has no sexual connotations. The word pet can be a noun or a verb. The word petting is either a verb or sometimes an adjective or adverb....choose your poison.

A parallel descriptive term used way back in time was "Boodling" which had the same meaning as limited petting.  That term is now superseded by  "Making out" .  Making out has more than one implication and may not be as limited in meaning as the older vernaculars.  The American language is a real mess that is sure to confuse speakers of other languages.  We invent new words without regard for common sense.  How about the long past valley girl expression for surprise; "Gag me with a spoon"?

Yeah, I well remember "petting"! And "spooning".

One etymology site has "gag me with a spoon" as an expression of disgust:
QuoteThe phrase is used as an expression of disgust. A typical usage from the online slang dictionary. Oh my gosh, gag me with a spoon. That were the ugliest shoes I've ever seen! The phrase also appears in Frank Zappa's song, Valley girl.

Is this a hang on from when the gag reaction was invoked by depressing the very back of the tongue with the bowl of a spoon? The Aussies have some interesting (mis)uses for English as well.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Icarus on December 13, 2017, 01:59:27 AM
Rec must be older than I thought if he recognizes the colloquial term "petting"

Na, it's in the song.

QuoteTouch-A, Touch-A, Touch Me

I was feeling done in, couldn't win
I'd only ever kissed before (you mean she?) (uh-huh)
I thought there's no use getting into heavy petting
It only leads to trouble and seat-wetting
Now all I want to know is how to go
I've tasted blood and I want more (more, more, more)
I'll put up no resistance, I want to stay the distance
I've got an itch to scratch, I need assistance
Touch-a touch-a touch-a touch me, I wanna be dirty
Thrill me, chill me, fulfil me
Creature of the night
Then if anything grows while you pose
I'll oil you up and rub you down (down, down, down)
And that's just one small fraction of the main attraction
You need a friendly hand and I need action
Touch-a touch-a touch-a touch me, I wanna be dirty
Thrill me,...

If people didn't know what petting was what would they think "heavy petting" is?
Anyway what a person does with a consenting Labrador is no concern of mine.

Take my advice, don't listen to me.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Bad Penny II on December 13, 2017, 09:08:43 AM
If people didn't know what petting was what would they think "heavy petting" is?
Anyway what a person does with a consenting Labrador is no concern of mine.

If Recusant hadn't mentioned what it was I would have innocently thought it was a more vigorous form of petting.  ;D

xSilverPhinx

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 25, 2017, 11:38:01 PM
Quote from: Magdalena on December 25, 2017, 11:32:30 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 25, 2017, 11:08:42 PM
What do you call a housewife who isn't a wife?  :scratch:
A domestic goddess? :scratch:

:lol: I should totally put that! :P

Or...
Household management executive.
Or...
Nonprofit household management executive.
Or...
Assistant household manager.

Or...
No, I should stop here.  :notsure:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on December 25, 2017, 11:55:05 PM

Or...
Or...
Or...

Or...

:notes:

Miracle worker? Maybe sounds too religious... :notsure:

Magdalena

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 26, 2017, 01:08:38 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on December 25, 2017, 11:55:05 PM

Or...
Or...
Or...

Or...

:notes:

Miracle worker? Maybe sounds too religious... :notsure:

A little bit.  :grin:

...But seriously, I think homemaker is another option. It doesn't include the word, wife as in housewife:shrug: