News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Do you have a core?

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, March 02, 2017, 12:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

"I've been bad, I've been good, in Dallas, Texas, and Hollywood"  - Tush, ZZ Top

In considering whether I'm fundamentally this or that, I'm coming more and more to the conclusion that there no "there there".  There's a brain that's wired a particular way, and sometimes it functions in a way that brings bad things and at other times good things, but most of the time neither bad nor good.  I can't really identify a core, fundamental me.  Whatever I come up with along these lines as the True Me, I can always identify times when I have acted contrarily or inconsistently with that core identify.

Do you consider yourself to have a true core identity or nature?  I suppose this is sort of along the lines of whether the "self" exists, but I'm more focused on nature, character, that sort of thing. If you think you have a true core, can you describe it?

Dragonia

I think of myself sort of like the sun (I can't take this analogy too far...). I do think I have a solid core of goodness, kindness, love, gentleness, generosity and adventure, among many other things of course. But generally a "good" core.
But then there are always the flares, when I am pissy or bitchy or disloyal or violent or whatever.
Maybe a person knows what their core is by how their actions make them feel afterwards. If an action doesn't jive with your core, you don't feel good about it, and vice versa.
I think my beliefs have greatly shifted over the course of my life, but despite the Foundational change, im pretty sure my core person is the same.
Interesting line of thought....
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

joeactor

I'd say I have a core.

For some, it's more flexible than others. Mine seems fairly stable, but I've had my divergent moments.

Perhaps it's that I see those times as divergent that helps define my core.

I'm a picker. I'm a grinner. I'm a lover. And I'm a sinner.

Dave

I think that I have a core. Life experience has nade me a bit variable on the outsude but there has akways been a theead of something thst has been constant. It has got me through the grotty times and bolsters me when others need a bit of help.

I seem to have the confidence to face new experiences, even ones that have an element of objective personal danger (oh, except I hate verbal fights face to face, got beat up too many times as a kid).

There is a stubbon bugger in here somewhere. Got me almost into the second decade after my near fatal heart attack in better than average fettle for 72.5. 

Perhaps Nietzsche was right after after all (even if it does not apply to sphincters.)
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Arturo

I'm pretty sure that I'm a humanist by this definition

QuoteHumanism is a philosophical and ethical stance that emphasizes the value and agency of human beings, individually and collectively, and generally prefers critical thinking and evidence (rationalism, empiricism) over acceptance of dogma or superstition. The meaning of the term humanism has fluctuated according to the successive intellectual movements which have identified with it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism

I think I meet all that.
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Dave

Quote from: Arturo on March 02, 2017, 08:31:56 PM
I'm pretty sure that I'm a humanist by this definition

QuoteHumanism is a philosophical and ethical stance that emphasizes the value and agency of human beings, individually and collectively, and generally prefers critical thinking and evidence (rationalism, empiricism) over acceptance of dogma or superstition. The meaning of the term humanism has fluctuated according to the successive intellectual movements which have identified with it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism

I think I meet all that.
I decided that I was a hunanist at about age 13 when I saw a notice on a meeting hall board, but I think it was either my core personality that drew me towards it  or there was a resonance. Beliefs, positive or negative, and Humanism is a belief system, are just a mantle that fits your personality shape. Forget the fiddly accessories like saviours, priests, idols etc they are extraneous focussing aids needed by some.

[Hmm, what did they put in that mint tea I just drank?] [Certainly not been smoking anything.]

No one

Arturo

Quote from: No one on March 02, 2017, 11:39:56 PM
Yes, and it's rotten!

Rotten like an apple, or rotten like cheese?
It's Okay To Say You're Welcome
     Just let people be themselves.
     Arturo The1  リ壱

Pasta Chick

We know that behavior and traits have genetic basis. Also that environment can imprint habits and behaviors in us too deeply to truly change, at least not without significant outside help. I would say we do have a "core" on these basis, but I think that's a little more abstract than you're meaning. This is totally aside from morality.

Tank

Quote from: Pasta Chick on March 03, 2017, 01:56:29 PM
We know that behavior and traits have genetic basis. Also that environment can imprint habits and behaviors in us too deeply to truly change, at least not without significant outside help. I would say we do have a "core" on these basis, but I think that's a little more abstract than you're meaning. This is totally aside from morality.

Aristotle said "Give me the child till he is 7 and I will show you the man". There is evidence to support this as the first 'solid' formation of the 'person'. The next formation comes during puberty which is as much a mental change as a physical one. After this the mind continues to form until about 25 after which it remains relatively stable until it degenerates from alzheimer's or the like. So it appears that there are stages in the formation of what 'core' personality we may have. Mat Ridley wrote an interesting book Nature via Nurture which addresses these issues in a very accessible way.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

Quote from: Tank on March 03, 2017, 06:11:29 PM

Aristotle said "Give me the child till he is 7 and I will show you the man". There is evidence to support this as the first 'solid' formation of the 'person'. The next formation comes during puberty which is as much a mental change as a physical one. After this the mind continues to form until about 25 after which it remains relatively stable until it degenerates from alzheimer's or the like. So it appears that there are stages in the formation of what 'core' personality we may have. Mat Ridley wrote an interesting book Nature via Nurture which addresses these issues in a very accessible way.

Lots been written on nature vs nurture, I came to the conclusion it is a ratio, maybe from 1:100 to 100:1 (%) and specific to the individual. I like the story of the neuroscientist researching psychpathy. He thought he had discovered a brain architecture specific to the condition. Then he discovered his brain had the very same architecture.

Thus his genetic brain strycture and the possible behavioural traits this typified may have been very much modified by his childhood environment. Though, IIRC, there was a history of problems in the family.

Can't find a ref.

Tank

Quote from: Gloucester on March 03, 2017, 06:39:38 PM
Quote from: Tank on March 03, 2017, 06:11:29 PM

Lots been written on nature vs nurture, I came to the conclusion it is a ratio, maybe from 1:100 to 100:1 (%) and specific to the individual. I like the story of the neuroscientist researching psychpathy. He thought he had discovered a brain architecture specific to the condition. Then he discovered his brain had the very same architecture.

Thus his genetic brain strycture and the possible behavioural traits this typified may have been very much modified by his childhood environment. Though, IIRC, there was a history of problems in the family.

Can't find a ref.

That was a fascinating case.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/the-neuroscientist-who-discovered-he-was-a-psychopath-180947814/
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dave

^ Yup, that's the one!  As you say, Tank, fascinating.

Davin

While I find the question, topic, and discussion of it interesting, I don't have much to add. I haven't formed an opinion on it.

I just wanted to say that I've been enjoying the discussion so far.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Dave

Something went wrong, post got lost somehow, wrote it anew, then part of it popped up.