News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Well done Whitney! We're back! WTF happened?

Started by Tank, April 29, 2011, 07:13:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

<---oh and we now have a karma system (default part of the software) which I decided to name kudos to avoid religious undertones (which means someone is going to tell me kudos is somehow related to a religion).  If it gets abused it will be disabled but it could be fun and I think it had been requested at some point in the past. Ideally people will want their score to go up and will make an even stronger effort to be good; but trolls seem to like to collect negative points (but we weed them out fast anyway).  Members have to hit 50 posts before they can dish out kudos.

The Black Jester

Whitney,

I'm sure I speak for everyone on the forum when I say thank you for all the work you've done, and all the aggravation you've put up with, in getting this site back up and running.  Splendid job.

And as I was one of those who annoyed you on Facebook for ETA's, I would like also to formally apologize.  In public.
The Black Jester

"Religion is institutionalised superstition, science is institutionalised curiosity." - Tank

"Confederation of the dispossessed,
Fearing neither god nor master." - Killing Joke

http://theblackjester.wordpress.com

AnimatedDirt

On the previous forum, stars denoted years as a member.  What do the stars denote now?  I have 3 and haven't been here 3 yrs.  Will the Star for a Year thing come back?

Whitney

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on April 29, 2011, 09:29:12 PM
On the previous forum, stars denoted years as a member.  What do the stars denote now?  I have 3 and haven't been here 3 yrs.  Will the Star for a Year thing come back?

Stars per year was as special mod I had installed on the old forum; there might be something like it for SMF but I haven't checked.

Stars now just are a graphic representation of rank based on post count.

mikex

Welcome to the awesome world of SMF forums!  ;)

Asmodean

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on April 29, 2011, 09:46:03 AMWho's this new Asmodean?
Is he real?
He's not, obviously. the new Asmodean was a sock. A puppet made of a sock, actually. However, it WAS the old Asmodean pulling the strings, or rather... Well, you know what they do with socks...  ;D

QuoteHas he expressed Asmo's deepest secret wish to replace Benny in a rebjorn ABBA?
I won't believe he's him until he does.
Abba..? ABBA?! Where is the rant smiley when you need one?!  :o

I am contemplating getting a new custom status though since the last one is gone... How does "Grumpy Lumpy" sound?  8)

On that note, nice job Whitney! I kind of like this software despite a few minor annoyances. Some of them are listed in various places, but let's not compile too big a list at once, shall we?  ;D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Asmodean on April 30, 2011, 07:59:23 AMI am contemplating getting a new custom status though since the last one is gone... How does "Grumpy Lumpy" sound?  8)

Apt.

Sophus

‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

Tank

Quote from: Sophus on May 02, 2011, 06:54:14 AM
I'm so confused. What happened?
Well approximately 13.75 billion years ago....

... and that lead up to last week when Whitney changed the software the forum runs on.
I hope that clears things up for you. :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

karadan

I've been away for a month. I was really looking forward to logging in after getting back to see three stars by my name. Imagine my surprise to see five!

:)
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Tank

Quote from: karadan on May 03, 2011, 01:10:58 PM

I've been away for a month. I was really looking forward to logging in after getting back to see three stars by my name. Imagine my surprise to see five!

:)
Hey! My first anniversary is the 16th May. I went from no stars to 5 stars!!!!!!!!! Woot!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on April 29, 2011, 11:15:28 AM
My avatar doesn't look as imposing now, maybe it could sit cross legged.  I wouldn't want to become a mere head and loose my cricket bat and glove.

It does look rather...diminished.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 08, 2011, 09:44:06 AM
My avatar doesn't look as imposing now, maybe it could sit cross legged.  I wouldn't want to become a mere head and loose my cricket bat and glove.

Oh thanks a lot, a polite person would reassure me by saying size isn't important.
Now I'll have to become an annoying animated gif.

Cecilie

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 08, 2011, 11:09:43 AM

It really is annoying.

Oh thanks a lot, a polite person would reassure me by saying size isn't important.
The world's what you create.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 08, 2011, 11:09:43 AM
My avatar doesn't look as imposing now, maybe it could sit cross legged.  I wouldn't want to become a mere head and loose my cricket bat and glove.

Better...

8)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey