News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Duke of Bullshit: "The" Donald

Started by Recusant, November 11, 2015, 11:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xSilverPhinx

When will they impeach Mr. I'm Peach already? ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ecurb Noselrub

If 10% of evangelicals changed their minds about Trump, he would be doomed. 

billy rubin

short of republican -style voter suppression, trump cannot win on his base alone. his election will succeed or fail based on converting what is left of the uncommitted middle. if he continues to alienate more independentz, he wont win.

its too cloze to call, in my opinion.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Harmonie

I saw yesterday that the polls are showing that a lot of people are happy with the economy and that is causing Trump to gain ground in the polls in battleground states.

I now think we're screwed. It will probably be an electoral college victory again, but it makes no difference in the end.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

joeactor

Quote from: Harmonie on December 22, 2019, 08:29:24 PM
I saw yesterday that the polls are showing that a lot of people are happy with the economy and that is causing Trump to gain ground in the polls in battleground states.

I now think we're screwed. It will probably be an electoral college victory again, but it makes no difference in the end.

I really wish the media would present a wider view of the term "Economy", outside of jobs and the stock market.

How about the deficit? Or the future impact of climate change? The future impact of our abandoning trade partners and deals? The tariffs?

Sheesh... Simplify it for the masses.

"If I gave you $1,000 and sent you a bill for $2,000... are you doing better?"

(off soapbox)

No one

xSilverPhinx

xSilverPhinx

Now the senile Peach is going to have a dick measuring contest with the dictator Ali Khamenei.

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Dark Lightning

3+ years in, I'm still trying to come to terms with what a shit-wit we have "running" our country.  :???:

Recusant

In the swirling hot mess of the current US administration, whose febrility has increased of late, I missed a bit of dark comedy from earlier in the month. In more ways than one, it's difficult to take note of every clump of feculence in the tide of fetid rubbish which issues forth from the presidential pie-hole.

On January 3, the president had some words on prayer in schools in the US:

QuoteU.S. President Donald Trump on Friday said his Democratic opponents would tear down crosses and pledged to bring prayer to public schools at a re-election rally to shore up evangelical support.

[. . .]

"These angry radicals want to impose absolute conformity by censuring speech, tearing down crosses and symbols of faith and banning religious believers from public life."

He got a big reaction from the crowd when he promised to bring religion into U.S. schools. A clause in the U.S. Constitution prohibits the government from promoting one religion over the other, which means public schools don't promote prayer or religious symbols.

"Very soon I'll be taking action to safeguard students and teachers' First Amendment rights to pray in our schools," Trump said. "They want to take that right along with many other ones."

[Continues . . .]

I found a link to the Reuters article above in a piece at "The Conversation," which analyzes the issue through a decent synopsis of its history.

"An old debate over religion in school is opening up again" | The Conversation

QuoteAs the 2020 election approaches in the United States, President Donald Trump is adding school prayer to the list of contentious issues up for debate. At a rally in early January he announced plans to "safeguard students' and teachers' First Amendment rights to pray in our schools." On the schedule of the White House later this week is a plan to issue new "guidance on constitutional prayer in school."

This announcement comes after a year in which officials in six states, including the populous swing state of Florida, considered bills permitting the study of the Bible in classrooms. Last January, President Trump tweeted his support for these laws.

The evangelical proponents of the legislation insist that the Bible would be treated as a historical and literary source, not as a means of religious guidance. Critics oppose them for fear that their real intent is to teach Christianity.

Efforts to return religion to public schools threaten to reignite one of the oldest debates about the separation of church and state.

As a historian who has studied how American Protestants have engaged with the culture at large, I know that the question of religion in education was among the first social issues to split American Protestants into competing liberal and conservative camps.

In the early 19th century, as many states created public school systems, children's moral development was viewed as a crucial component of education. Advocates for public schools came from some of the established Protestant denominations such as Congregationalism and growing liberal traditions like Unitarianism.

Since these public school proponents had diverse religious beliefs, they agreed that educational institutions should not teach particular doctrines. But they believed schools should cultivate morals based in what they thought were generally held Christian principles.

Opposition came from Roman Catholics, a growing segment of the population due to immigration, who took particular issue with Bible reading. Many schools used the Protestant King James version of the Bible, which differed from the translation familiar to Catholics. Moreover, Bible reading apart from the study of Church teaching was by nature a distinctly Protestant practice.

Yet even Protestant agreement on Bible reading in public schools did not survive for long.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

religion in american schools has always been problematic for me. i grew up with christians, hindus, muslims, buddhists, sihks, jews, atheists, you name it. the public schools in my neighborhood now have sponsored christian-style prayers before concerts, football games, and other events, although they didn't end with the customary protestant "in jesus name we pray . . ." the last time.

i have two kids in the local quaker school, where they have a daily "collection," which elsewhere means "meeting for worship" in the old waiting worship style of the earliest society of friends.

i have just asked my 15-year-old what he's doing when he's there, and he says they're all just sitting, waiting for announcements.  he says he has no idea what they're doing in there, other than "collecting."

it's a very liberal quaker school, but not knowing what is going on has very deep roots in the quaker wilburite tradition.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Magdalena

Trump should try all of his "medical suggestions." Give him the antimalaria drugs hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine. Inject disinfectants up his fat ass. Put him out in the sun for hours or microwave his inside for a little bit.

If he refuses, then maybe he should just shut the fuck up and stop spreading stupidities, rumors, sarcasm, jokes, or whatever the fuck he and his administration wants to call his incompetence. We really don't need his "sarcasm" or "sick jokes" and his dangerous misinformation right now.

We need a competent leader, not a fucking inefficient asshole.

~I am done with my rant.  :levitate:
And thank you for allowing me to express myself.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

No one

Well, for an inefficient asshole, he certainly produces a ton of shit.