News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

A Very Large Turtle

Started by Recusant, February 18, 2020, 04:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Possibly a false recollection, but I think we may have already had a thread on this topic. It was several years ago, and I was unable to find it using the feeble site search function. Anyway, some new specimens have been found in Venezuela.  :terrapin:

"This may be the biggest turtle that ever lived" | LiveScience

Rodolpho Sánchez showcases the turtle shell of the huge Stupendemys geographicus, which lived about 8 million years ago in northern South America. Image credit: Rodolpho Sánchez

An 8-million-year-old turtle shell unearthed in Venezuela measures nearly 8 feet (2.4 meters) long, making it the largest complete turtle shell known to science, a new study reported.

This shell belonged to an extinct beast called Stupendemys geographicus, which lived in northern South America during the Miocene epoch, which lasted from 12 million to 5 million years ago.

S. geographicus weighed an estimated 2,500 lbs. (1,145 kilograms), almost 100 times the size of its closest living relative, the Amazon river turtle (Peltocephalus dumerilianus), and twice the size of the largest living turtle, the marine leatherback (Dermochelys coriacea), the researchers wrote in the study.

Its impressive shell makes this ancient creature "one of the largest, if not the largest turtle that ever existed," study senior researcher Marcelo Sánchez-Villagra, the director of the Paleontological Institute and Museum at the University of Zurich, said in a statement.

The species likely achieved its colossal size thanks to the warm wetlands and lakes in its habitat, Sánchez noted.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

No one

Looks like Gamera is real. Suck it, Mrs Pemmels!

jumbojak

Imagine the pot of soup you could make with that sucker.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

One of my sons went to Hawai'i for a water polo tournament when in high school. He was swimming in the ocean and came close to a large sea turtle, which pursued him for a while. He's an expert swimmer and worked as a lifeguard, but he was in for his life when that thing was following him, he was swimming like mad. If it had been as big as the turtle pictured, we'd probably never seen him again!

Kusa

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Biggus Dickus

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant