News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Death: An Atheist's Perspective

Started by Whitney, September 20, 2010, 02:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

notself

When I was first diagnosed, the possibility of death was very real to me and after looking it in the eye, I decided there was no reason to fear it.  As others have said, I didn't exist before I was born so it's not really a problem in not existing.  I did give careful consideration to the types of treatments I have received after surgery.  I turned down chemo because the chances of the chemo helping prevent recurrence were less than the chances of the side effects causing irreversible congestive heart failure.  I decided I rather risk dying of cancer than have an 11% chance slowly suffocating to death.  

Death is no big deal, but dying can be very tricky.

I have also discovered that, for me at least, it is impossible to believe for more than a week or two that I will actually die.  It has been three years since my surgery and I am back to being temporarily immortal.

Roganthis72

Personally, Death scares the bejesus out of me.  Not so much the being dead part, thats easy, but rather the dying part.
BBBBBBWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

elliebean

Quote from: "Roganthis72"Personally, Death scares the bejesus out of me.  Not so much the being dead part, thats easy, but rather the dying part.
I've been through that part and, to be honest, I didn't really notice much. It was quick. Luckily, so were the paramedics.
[size=150]â€"Ellie [/size]
You can’t lie to yourself. If you do you’ve only fooled a deluded person and where’s the victory in that?â€"Ricky Gervais

Jats

Quote from: "Thumpalumpacus"Were it not for the burial laws here, when my time came I'd go to a little bluff south of San Simeon which is covered in sycamores [I think they're sycamores], sit down, and molder right there.

"...I like that, cept I don't like Sycamores though, bloody weeds, though pretty good for burning..." says Jats returning from felling and logging a few , a repost then...

QuoteI don't give a fuck

"...and that is as it should be, when you are young, little thought of tomorrow, meagre consequence of next, just now, living for today, and yes, I could have been much more secure, if as a consequence of staying in my own town with the school yard friends that I visit now and again who are stuck in their same routine, yet when I do, I know that I have seen things with these eyes that they would never believe, done things that they could not comprehend, for some of us have to burn brighter, even though it quickens the end, brings it closer, so, a different contentment for me then, for when it's time to die, perhaps, I am more ready then, no if only's, things left to try, but, still, not just yet awhile...things to do..."

TheWilliam

as long as i die in washington state i'm fine,

even if it's the day i return the plane crashes on the runway,

as long as it's in washington.

i refuse to die in wack ass florida.

i've been shot at out here, hit by a car, had a swollen left lung, but i refuse to die, until i'm in a suitable environment.

hismikeness

I heard a comedian once say he wants to die near a tree, be absorbed by the tree, have the tree cut down and made in to paper and then he wants the bible printed on him. I can't remember who it was but it made me chortle.

My view on dying is that I just hope the process of my death leaves little financial burden on those I'm survived by. I hope my death is painless for me. I hope I've left enough of an impression on enough people to be remembered once I'm gone. I want my funeral to be a party. I want to be cremated. I'd like to live as long as I can... as long as I'm relatively pain free. I'd like to have a long retirement.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

PoopShoot

I would love to be buried outside of a casket.  Or fed to the buzzards.  Something to give back the food I've taken from this planet.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "TheWilliam"as long as i die in washington state i'm fine,

even if it's the day i return the plane crashes on the runway,

as long as it's in washington.

i refuse to die in wack ass florida.

i've been shot at out here, hit by a car, had a swollen left lung, but i refuse to die, until i'm in a suitable environment.

I loled,  Florida is like Guadalcanal, without the charm.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Whitney

Quote from: "PoopShoot"Or fed to the buzzards.  

There are places that can do that legally in the U.S.  It's called a natural burial or something...I just know someone who knows someone who's land is used for it sometimes.

pinkocommie

Yeah, I watched a video of one of these burials looong time ago when it was posted on Pharyngula.  It seems like a pretty awesome way to be disposed of.  I would hate to be the guy whose job it is to make sure the brain and marrow was accessible to the birds, though.  Real horrorshow.
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

PoopShoot

Well, I don't think that's legal in Kentucky, though burial on private land is OK.  I'm not sure about caskets, but I think they're required.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

notself

I want the cheapest cremation possible.  I don't give a hoot on what if anything is done with my ashes.  The can sit on a shelf in the garage for all I care.  I would really prefer to be buried in a cotton shroud in the back yard but my family is too squeamish.

I am volunteering at our local Hospice House and I know that is the place where I intend to go through the process of dying.  The nurses really know what they are doing when it comes to pain management.  The place is like a well appointed private home where kids and pets are welcome.  There is lots of laughter along with tears.  The very best thing is that no one pushes religion on anyone.

pinkocommie

Quote from: "PoopShoot"Well, I don't think that's legal in Kentucky, though burial on private land is OK.  I'm not sure about caskets, but I think they're required.

I'm 99% sure the one I watched was allowed because it was native american in origin.  I wish I could find it.

I'm donating my body to science in the hope that I end up a High School science class skeleton and spend the next 25, 50, maybe 100 years after I'm dead being inappropriately posed by hormone crazed, smart ass kids.

Don't tell me they don't use donated bodies that way.  The dream will live on!
Ubi dubium ibi libertas: Where there is doubt, there is freedom.
http://alliedatheistalliance.blogspot.com/

PoopShoot

Quote from: "pinkocommie"I'm 99% sure the one I watched was allowed because it was native american in origin.  I wish I could find it.
Well if it was in your area it was probably also on sovereign land.
All hail Cancer Jesus!

curiosityandthecat

Quote from: "pinkocommie"
Quote from: "PoopShoot"Well, I don't think that's legal in Kentucky, though burial on private land is OK.  I'm not sure about caskets, but I think they're required.

I'm 99% sure the one I watched was allowed because it was native american in origin.  I wish I could find it.

I'm donating my body to science in the hope that I end up a High School science class skeleton and spend the next 25, 50, maybe 100 years after I'm dead being inappropriately posed by hormone crazed, smart ass kids.

Don't tell me they don't use donated bodies that way.  The dream will live on!
Donate to a college, instead. I lived with a girl who was getting a doctoral degree in Physical Therapy. She brought home pieces of "her" skeleton all the time. We had a human skull as the center piece on our coffee table for about a month. We'd leave entire hands in the fridge, so when people came over we'd say, "Hey, can you snag me a beer?" Fun times. You can only imagine what they do in the lab. Eep.  :eek: But honestly, that "guy" was the life of the party for a good six months.
-Curio