News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Brexit

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, June 24, 2016, 05:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

How likely is this to further destabilize the UK, considering the results from Gibraltar, Scotland and Northern Ireland?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on June 25, 2016, 08:58:35 AM
How likely is this to further destabilize the UK, considering the results from Gibraltar, Scotland and Northern Ireland?
I think that we can say goodbye to the UK as an entity. Brexit was all about English xenophobia.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Tank on June 25, 2016, 09:02:44 AM
Quote from: Asmodean on June 25, 2016, 08:58:35 AM
I think that we can say goodbye to the UK as an entity. Brexit was all about English xenophobia.

You'll still have the Welsh.

xSilverPhinx

Warning, gif ahead!  :shifty:

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dave

Seems there's a petition for a re-referundum - running at 2 000 000 odd sigs with + 150 000 per hour.

Haven't found the link yet.

If there is another one I hope that no politicking is allowed: no speeches, no debates, no arguing, no howling and no barking. Let us, the people, decide for ourselves.

Put Osbourne, Gove, Boris and Farage in a padded room 'til it's over.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Dave

Ecurb Noselrub

Everyone knew the vote was coming.  Basically everyone in the world who had his/her eyes open knew there was a vote on the UK leaving or remaining.  If someone didn't vote - tough.  I don't agree with immediate re-referendums.  People had their chance.

Tank

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on June 25, 2016, 08:49:57 PM
Everyone knew the vote was coming.  Basically everyone in the world who had his/her eyes open knew there was a vote on the UK leaving on remaining.  If someone didn't vote - tough.  I don't agree with immediate re-referendums.  People had their chance.
Agreed.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Ecurb Noselrub

Of course, Luxembourg is one of the "Inner Six" and a founding member of the EU.  Had Asmo simply smitten it thoroughly years ago none of this would have occurred. The rest of Europe would have learned from his example.

Dave

Why do I get this feeling that all the mouthy Brexiteers are now trying to keep a low profile? Now denying that they offered this and that bright future for a "free" Britsin.

Perhaps they suddenly find that Pandora's box holds no treasures at all, just pain and misery.

OldGit

I always knew leaving would bring big troubles short-term.  I think that in the long run we shall watch the chaos of a collapsing EU and be glad we got out of it.

Asmodean

Everyone knew the vote was coming.  Basically everyone in the world who had his/her eyes open knew there was a vote on the UK leaving or remaining.  If someone didn't vote - tough.  I don't agree with immediate re-referendums.  People had their chance.
Precisely. This petition stinks of "I didn't like the results. Do-over! DO-OVER!" While politicians are often comparable to kindergarteners, the rest of us really ought to have enough respect for each other's right to an opinion not to call for do-overs unless some serious flaws in the process have been demonstrated.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on June 26, 2016, 10:30:26 AM
Precisely. This petition stinks of "I didn't like the results. Do-over! DO-OVER!" While politicians are often comparable to kindergarteners, the rest of us really ought to have enough respect for each other's right to an opinion not to call for do-overs unless some serious flaws in the process have been demonstrated.
It does stink of bad losers. I think the result was stupid but it is what it is and only time will the degree of stupidity.

joeactor

My wife and I were discussing this and thought that maybe this should have been more than a simple majority vote.

Perhaps a 2/3 to pass instead, given the gravity it all.

Still, what's done is done.

Move on!

OldGit

Of course, the referendum was not legally binding and they'll wriggle and squirm to try and find some way out.