News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

HAF Member Art Thread

Started by Whitney, December 06, 2009, 05:42:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whitney

I figured we needed a place to post things we draw and I don't think we already have a massive art thread...just scattered threads.  So...this is the member art thread sticky.

To start it, here is the latest thing I have worked on...the Texas Freethought Convention website:  http://www.texasfreethoughtconvention.com/
The web design is my work, the logo is not.  I did draw the bluebonnets...i was surprised they turned out well since I'm not that great at sketching.
Header shown in attachment, see link for entire site design.

MariaEvri

well I do some photography and some "furry" works. My arts are scattered all over the net
http://www.poseidonsimons.com/galleries.html
heres my galleries in case youre interested
poseidon simons is my online "alter ego"
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Tom62

OK, here is a picture that I created more than 26 years ago, when I was still young (but not so innocent). I used some mixed techniques at at time for convenience and "special effects".
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

McQ

Quote from: "Tom62"OK, here is a picture that I created more than 26 years ago, when I was still young (but not so innocent). I used some mixed techniques at at time for convenience and "special effects".

Tom, this is really awesome! I love it. Seriously. What techniques did you use to create this? I'm fascinated by your "brush" style and use of color. This shows real balance, composition and feel.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Tom62

Quote from: "McQ"Tom, this is really awesome! I love it. Seriously. What techniques did you use to create this? I'm fascinated by your "brush" style and use of color. This shows real balance, composition and feel.
I'm glad that you like it.  The flying sauces are pure pencil drawings. The "big" spaceship in the middle was first drawn with a pencil and than inked.The surface of the spaceship was colored with a combination of different pencils and watercolors. The white moon was made with a soft pencil and some watercolor. The entire background, the sun and the planet were made with watercolors; although I also used a soft pencil for the shadow effects.

I'd made 6 Science Fiction paintings between 1982 and 1985(?). Two of these paintings I gave away to family and friends. My first painting got lost, that was an oil painting with all kinds of freaky, planet eating space monsters on it. The other two that I still have are not that good. But I'll post them here any way (perhaps just only for nostalgic reasons).

After my Science Fiction "period", I published a series of chess drawings in a local chess club magazine. Those were the last drawings that I made before I left the Netherlands. No later work of mine exists (yet). To be honest, I like the chess drawings more than my Science Fictionr stuff.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Thom Phelps

Boy, these are all great. I've been a fan of MariaEvri's art for some time now...

At the beginning of this year I decided to stop doing an "angry political blog" I had since 2004 and start posting drawings of happy furry animals. Sort of a healing process for me. I've been pleased with the results. So, I've gotten to one doodle of an animal per week (sometimes cleaned-up and colored in Photoshop).

Here's next week's post, a special sneak preview just for my HAF buddies:

[attachment=0:32cnw2qd]snaring_jellyfish_3_flavors_web.jpg[/attachment:32cnw2qd]

Get it?

MariaEvri

Quote from: "Thom Phelps"Boy, these are all great. I've been a fan of MariaEvri's art for some time now...

wow
i have a fan
www.poseidonsimons.com

MariaEvri

tom I love those spaceships so much. I can never do anything like that and that annoys me!

and heh thom, for some reason those jellies remind me of candy
www.poseidonsimons.com

Tom62

Quote from: "MariaEvri"tom I love those spaceships so much. I can never do anything like that and that annoys me!
Thanks  :hail: than my spaceships. There is only one spaceship painting of which I'm really proud, but unfortunately that was one of the few paintings that I gave away  :( .
Robert A. Heinlein

MariaEvri

Quote from: "Tom62"
Quote from: "MariaEvri"unfortunately that was one of the few paintings that I gave away  :( .

I can never part from my babies XD
www.poseidonsimons.com

Tom62

OK, well here follows some later work of mine. This is the first part of the chess opening series that I made for a local chess club's magazine. The originals were black and white ink drawings, some of them I painted with water colors after they were returned by the "publisher".

It started with my favorite opening "The Italian Game"  (1. e4 e5; 2. Nf3 Nc6; 3. Bc4)
Robert A. Heinlein

Tom62

Followed by the Russian Game and King's Indian defense. The Russian text was translated for me by my Polish friend. It is real text about the Russian Game from an old East German chess-book. The last line is my name in Russian. For the King's Indian defense I was looking for some pictures of Indian elephants. Since those were pre-Internet times, all I could find were pictures of African elephants. OK, so I made the ears of my elephants a bit smaller, to let them look like if they were Indian.

[attachment=1:8492ork4]Russian.jpg[/attachment:8492ork4] [attachment=0:8492ork4]King'sIndianDefence.jpg[/attachment:8492ork4]
Robert A. Heinlein

Tom62

Next one on the list of Chess opening pictures are the "Bird's Opening" and the "Irregular opening". I took the Bird's opening very literal. When I made the picture,I had the image in my mind that a bird swooped down and "kidnapped" my king.  Irregular openings are very obscure and dangerous. If you play them against a strong chess player then you can look forward to a lot of danger. Most likely it is your blood that flows. Have fun.

[attachment=0:isjikolt]Bird'sOpening.jpg[/attachment:isjikolt] [attachment=1:isjikolt]Irregular.jpg[/attachment:isjikolt]
Robert A. Heinlein

Thom Phelps

Giant duck controlled by aliens (or some other nefarious force) and running amock in The City. From my Scoodles blog (Sci-Fi Doodles = Scoodles)

[attachment=0:3go2a0ic]scoodles_giant_robot_duck_web.jpg[/attachment:3go2a0ic]

Thom Phelps

My favorite scoodle from 2009: Save the Children!

[attachment=0:1neclorv]scoodles_horta.jpg[/attachment:1neclorv]