News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Fictional Place Names

Started by The Magic Pudding.., November 01, 2023, 10:37:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Quote from: billy rubin on November 03, 2023, 09:59:19 PMwhat are high speed volcanoes?
Ones with comparatively low-viscosity lava... I suppose. While I'm fascinated by the forces involved, a volcanologist I am not.  :P

Quotebut if tbe underlying magma composition is the same uou would expect lots of mostly gentle volcanoes, like the ones in hawaii.  eruptions are splashy with lots of flows out the sides and long rivers of molten rock, but no vesurvius or krakatoa style stuff. tourist-friendly volcanoes, mostly, if you dont get too close.
Yes, they are gentle as such things go. May serious geologists forgive me for this metaphor, but they let off long, wet farts rather than short, explosive ones. The flipside is... Well, soiled trousers. (That being faster lava flow with the potential to reach further before solidifying - or so I understand)
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

billy rubin

the highly liquid stuff is the dry basalt, low water, low viscosity

the rhyolites and andesites are wetter, viscosity like silly putty, if yiu ever encountered that. they tend to explode.

hawaii is mostly all basalt, so lots of low energy geysers and fliws. can still kill you if youre in the way

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."