Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Some more New Lanark

View from our window.

This globe is over 6ft high.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Quote from: Tank on July 20, 2016, 07:40:02 AM
Quote from: Recusant on July 19, 2016, 10:03:52 PM
Excellent photos of some fine scenery, Tank. Thanks for posting them. I really like the one of the pool behind the weir. From the looks of the stonework, I guessed that glass-enclosed pedestrian bridge in the mill photo could be a replacement for some previous connecting structure. Indulging my curiosity about things like that is often a waste of time, but I do have a semi-professional interest in architectural oddities. That's my excuse anyway.

To me it looks like it was some sort of chute. The unusual depth makes me think that it was actually two chutes in a single structure.

It's raining today so we're doing the tour. I should find out more.
The building on the right of the bridge is an engine house, you can see the chimney which has now gone. The 'bridge' was for the connecting rope (not belt) drives. It got used in high summer or deep winter when there wasn't enough water to drive the mills.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

joeactor

Recusant

Quote from: Tank on July 20, 2016, 07:09:42 PM
Quote from: Tank on July 20, 2016, 07:40:02 AM
Quote from: Recusant on July 19, 2016, 10:03:52 PM
Excellent photos of some fine scenery, Tank. Thanks for posting them. I really like the one of the pool behind the weir. From the looks of the stonework, I guessed that glass-enclosed pedestrian bridge in the mill photo could be a replacement for some previous connecting structure. Indulging my curiosity about things like that is often a waste of time, but I do have a semi-professional interest in architectural oddities. That's my excuse anyway.

To me it looks like it was some sort of chute. The unusual depth makes me think that it was actually two chutes in a single structure.

It's raining today so we're doing the tour. I should find out more.
The building on the right of the bridge is an engine house, you can see the chimney which has now gone. The 'bridge' was for the connecting rope (not belt) drives. It got used in high summer or deep winter when there wasn't enough water to drive the mills.

Cool! Thanks for tracking down the details, Tank:)
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dave

I often knock Gloucester City Council, they have grand ideas but never really find the means to make the best of them.

One liberal attitude they do have is towards street art and graphitti. I have taken a few photos over the years but am having trouble locating some of them. However, here are a couple I did manage to dig out.

This is Gloucester represented as a Chinese dragon. Gloucester has a faily large ethnically mixed community in the east of the city,  a fair number of whom are Chinese. This image is just off Eastgate, the road out to the "Ethnic Quarter".

I have no info regards this one, never did manage to trace the artist. It looks over Blackfriars car pack, near the mostly still standing, well preserved and still in use for functions, 13th C Blackfriars Priory. One of the city council's better projects.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

Waski_the_Squirrel

Time to lower the tone of this thread!

Here is my new banner for YouTube. I photographed a 1960's model Kaweco v14s fountain pen in my kitchen window with a 200mm lens at f2.8 from across the kitchen (1.5 m away). It gets cropped above and below on YouTube.

Here is a bull that belongs to some friends. He is too close to my car's trunk

And a random picture from near where I took the photo of the bull.

joeactor

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Waski_the_Squirrel

My parents have been visiting. On the night of their last visit last year, this was the view standing on my front steps:

And looking North.

And a closeup of the clouds.

They're called mammatus clouds. Sadly, my parents are leaving tomorrow and the only thing I get to leave them with this year is heat.

Tank

MariaEvri

Quote from: Waski_the_Squirrel on August 18, 2016, 03:21:33 AM
My parents have been visiting. On the night of their last visit last year, this was the view standing on my front steps:

And looking North.

And a closeup of the clouds.

They're called mammatus clouds. Sadly, my parents are leaving tomorrow and the only thing I get to leave them with this year is heat.

I call those titty clouds. I've seen the, in real life and they indeed are spectacular!
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

Davin

Someone else took this, supposed to be an 18 minute time lapse of fog in moonlight. I think it looks awesome.

Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on September 09, 2016, 03:23:19 PM
Someone else took this, supposed to be an 18 minute time lapse of fog in moonlight. I think it looks awesome.

Mmmmm...Looks like whipped cream.  :yum:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Dave

Very, er . . . atmospheric?

But also excellent.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

xSilverPhinx

That does look awesome!  8)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey